Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just for grins, I went online to the Scion site and did a "Build Your IQ" to
see what my car would cost now the way I have it equipped.....

Well, after going thru the Build Your IQ application, I got to the
Wheels selection and found that all it offers now are the 7-spoke
covers, NO alloys!

Maybe this is why it has taken some of you so long to get them from
the dealership?? Sure glad I decided to buy aftermarket wheels when
I bought my Q, and even save $300 in doing so over the factory alloys.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was doing the same thing this morning because of Maggiebite's question in my wheel thread. I wanted to see the price for the alloys so I can compare it with my after market but it doesn't seem to be offered anymore.

·
Registered
584 Posts
When I bought mine, I think the wheels added about 750$. The salesman told me on accessories, "You can't get the side door trim because they are having trouble with it." Not sure what trouble, didn't ask really didn't care for the chrome outside door stuff. I went home and looked online and the US page didn't even show it as an option, so I guess it was pulled off. Maybe like the wheels, some issue with supply.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You can bet there's an interesting story to this one. I'm forced to wonder if this might be connected (if only in a tertiary way) to supply complications related to the 2011 earthquake.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I'm wondering if my $749 Alloy Rims might have cost more than what they were offered for ? Maybe the company was taking a loss with them and ordering only when neccsserary ? Could be the reason why I had to wait over a month to get them ?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm 99% sure that Toyota was not taking a loss on those alloys,
they REALLY mark up all their accessories as that is a main way,
especially on the cars with the less mark-up, that they make much
of their profit, as do all the car companies.

I've always saved money by not getting the factory offered wheels when
buying any new cars, and I've bought a bunch in my 65 years. I saved
$300 when I bought this IQ by buying my wheels elsewhere.....profit,
or lack thereof, was not the reason in these alloys being dropped, trust
me.....If that was the reason, it would be VERY simple just to raise the
price, NOT drop the item.....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here they are close to $1000. I was prepared to demand a cheque from the dealership had my alloys not arrived. I find it odd they are not available on the website though. That seems a little fishy.

Actually I just checked on Scion Canada and they are still listed as an option there.

option.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
That doesn't make any sense though. Shipping to the US wouldn't be any different than shipping to Canada - I wouldn't think. I'm curious to know why it's not an option in the US anymore.
Because Japan doesn't like the US? haha idk... when I bought my Yaris, I was so expecting that it'd be the same as the Asian Yaris. My friend's Yaris(Vios) in the Philippines came with leather seats and steering wheel controls for less than what I paid for mine. So yeah, I'm not surprise if we don't get the same options here in the US anymore. Also, it didn't make sense that Canada got orange Yaris but not the US.

·
Registered
507 Posts
So yeah, I'm not surprise if we don't get the same options here in the US anymore. Also, it didn't make sense that Canada got orange Yaris but not the US.
Really?! That's odd too! Hmmm.... I know that some things are changed just because they have to be brought up to standard to get past the red tape in certain countries. For example, all cars in Canada have to be sold with day time running lights, ect. I had a Ford Fiesta before I bought my iQ and I know I was a little disappointed that the Fiestas in the UK had fog lights but the ones in Canada have either black or chrome lamp bezels instead of the little round fogs. Not as nice but what can ya do?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, the wheels are still available on Scion.com as of this morning...

*Edit post, when I did the "build your Scion" they weren't available, they do still show on the accessory page.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Which part of the site?
mistergib and I went on the build your own feature and it doesn't show the alloys as an option anymore
Yup, I see them on the accessory page but when I do the "build your Scion" they don't show up as an option. I'll check with my friends at Scion Corp and see what's up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yup, I see them on the accessory page but when I do the "build your Scion" they don't show up as an option. I'll check with my friends at Scion Corp and see what's up.
Please let us know what you find out. I'll be very disappointed if I can't get those wheels when the time comes.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts