Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
a small magnaflow or my favorite,flowmaster should be adaptable.PEACE.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have used a sport exsaust on my cvt iq but the sound is too much loud :(
Hi jonny2slow4u
Any louder of that drone sound of a CVT-fitted car would be hell for me... versus the melody of a manual-transmission vehicle.
I don't think I could stand it :confused:
(sound being remotely connected to what's going on)
My iQ (stock as it is) sounds like an appliance (because of it's transmission)
I wouldn't want it to be any louder

·
Registered
181 Posts
I took my iQ to my local exhaust(ed?) guru Bob at Kwik Muffler in San Jose. We had a chat.

His expert opinion: the stock muffler's a bit tinny and constrictive. But Bob cautioned against opening up a rice-burner engine's exhaust with big pipes like an American muscle engine. In his 30 years of experience rice burners it seems loose the back pressure they need (my aerospace engineering opinion: to maintain compression at high rpm when the valves are running half open, kinda like a pulse jet). 3" pipes would decapitate the power curve.

Interesting factoid: the iQ's built with 2 catalytic converters, running in series. The engine computer's only sensing between them so in theory it wouldn't bing on your check engine light if you sawed the second one off...but state emissions tests, especially here in California, might raise an eyebrow.

I told Bob I'd like a bit more "growl" out of the engine. He had some prudent ideas. He's ordering up a new muffler, should be here next week for about $100 and 20 minutes installed and tuned. It won't affect the engine performance one way or the other, but Bob says he can tune it to sound a bit throatier.

Given that we're stuck with the 1" pipe exhaust for a few dollars (like $20) more Bob also offered a 3" tip and run out under the bumper for me. Do what you like to your iQ, but I think those tips just look non-functional and fake. I'm keeping mine tucked clean away, stock 1", and honest.

I'll report back when it all goes down with Bob.

·
Registered
181 Posts
"SABQT" is currently in my garage in pieces while I wrap the headliner and posts. There will be a slight delay before its all back together and ready for Bob...sorry.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Check your laws on the reflectors. I belive they are manditory in my state of Tx as original safety equipment. You might be required to put new ones on somewhere or you might not need them where you might live.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Check your laws on the reflectors. I belive they are manditory in my state of Tx as original safety equipment. You might be required to put new ones on somewhere or you might not need them where you might live.
Damn laws.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Opening up your intake a bit will also give your car more of a performance sound, but the same thing applies to engine performance here. If you open up the intake too much, you risk losing some low-end torque.
My recommendation would be to keep the stock intake box, but swap out the soft plastic convoluted intake pipes for some smooth aluminum tubing. That will get you smoother airflow into the engine, and produce a slightly more performance oriented engine sound, but it won't harm your low end.
On the back side, I would replace the stock muffler with a more open muffler that still utilizes the stock exhaust pipe diameter. Then you don't risk getting that ricer sound, and might gain a bit of top end power. You can also add some sound deadener to your interior to tune out some of the "appliancy" sound.
Note: these are all steps I've take on my Subaru. The 2.5i suffers from the same tuning dilemma as the 1.3 in the iQ.

·
Registered
117 Posts

In Texas, as with most states, you are required to have two red reflectors on the rear of the car. Since the taillights are red, the round reflectors are redundant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts