Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sooo....I read the entire owner's manual and found on page 232 how to clean the air-conditioning filter. There are two types, a plastic mesh one that my car has, and I suspect all U.S. iQ's have, and the "real" dust and pollen filter. Most of my cars have had a dust and pollen filters, so if I can install one, I'm doing it. :) You can see both in the picture.I searched the web and found a part number for the iQ dust and pollen filter. It is 88568-74011 and runs about $30. It came today, so I installed it. Very easy to do...Just follow the instructions in the owners manual. There is a black filter access cover just to the right of the accelerator pedal that unclips at the bottom. Take the cover off and slide the standard mesh filter out. Slide in the new pollen filter making sure the "UP" arrow is in fact up. Slide it all the way in and reinstall the cover.It came with a label too that you can put on the door jamb or maintenance guide to remind you to replace it.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Spoke with my local Dealership today about getting a pollen filter for my 2013 iQ. The 88568-74011 number is shown as belonging to the Puerto Rico vehicle. The P/N for the 2013 USA (Oregon) vehicle is:
88568-74040. I have no idea what the differences are. I'm picking it up on Friday so I can at least confirm that it fits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Spidious, THANKS for the heads-up! However, I just checked and there are no more available. :-(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Question for those that have installed the filter.

When I have my vents on, and I drive behind someone that has smelly exhaust or is smoking a cigarette, I can smell it inside my iQ. Will the filter, filter those smells out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Local dealer didn't have it in stock, but they're ordering it. Should be smelling cleaner air in 48 hours. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cyalume, please let me know what P/N your dealer obtains. The -74011 or the -74040

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cyalume, please let me know what P/N your dealer obtains. The -74011 or the -74040
My dealer got part number 88568-74040 in today and called me, they looked at it and said it's the same one the car comes with, the mesh one. They said they expected to receive a real filter, and told me not to feel obligated to purchase it.

I just placed an order online for
88568-74011, from a place I've never dealt with before (toyomotorparts dot com) but if I get the right part, I'll post back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Went to the dealer. They also acknowledged that the 74040 was a simple screen. They ordered the 74011 foe me and will have it in a few days. Oh well live and learn...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just an update, I received the filter today from toyomotorparts.com , it is part 88568-74011. I never ordered from them before, so wasn't sure of the service but they are great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dealer received the -74011 pollen filter in and I picked it up. It fits just fine. No noticeable decrease in air flow either through the vents. We have a lot of trees here in Oregon, so we always have lots of pollen during various times of the year and it will be great to be able to stop that entering the cockpit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just FYI for the DIY'ers, you can make your own cabin air filter from a regular home air filter and save yourself some $$$. The iQ air filter is physically a bit thinner than the typical home air filter, but most fabric air filters can be flattened by hand very easily and will fit the slot of the iQ.
I picked up a typical 12" x 12" x 1" home filter for $3.97 at Lowes, pulled the mesh filter from the iQ, measured the mesh piece, then cut the 12" x 12" filter to match the measurements of the mesh piece. A little trimming of the cardboard boarder of the filter is necessary to slim down the width to fit the iQ's narrower filter slot. Once cut out, I flattened the filter down a bit so that it would fit the slot. I did my best to retain some ridging of the filter as this is what maximizes the filter's ability to trap dust and pollen particles. Once the new filter was flattened and shaped to my liking, I re-measured against the mesh piece once more, cutting off any excess that had spread out due to the flattening process, then seamed up the filter edge with duct tape to create a smooth edge to slide in and out of the slot. Once the filter was ready, I installed it into the slot, maintaining correct air flow direction of the filter, secured the plastic cover, and tested.
I wish I had taken some photos of the process to give an idea, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time. Hopefully, you get the idea from the instructions. It is a very straightforward and simple process that only takes 10 mins or so to do and will save you the hassle of chasing down a reputable provider for the overpriced cabin filter from Toyota.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts