Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So master-yoda linked me to These Kickass Door Projectors that project a full color logo of your choice (including the autobot one, of course) onto the ground when you open the doors.

I'm seriously wanting these. Has anyone played with them? Are they hard to install?

Anyway, that got me onto another idea.

Could you take a sound chip like the kind in your basic mp3 playing greeting card, download This Classic Transformation Sound into it, then wire it up to the door's dome light button and the sound system so it plays the transformation sound whenever you open the door?

Imagine that shit. Pull up, whip open the door, "chee-choo-choo-chock-chee-chee!", then bam, autobot symbol projected on the sidewalk at my feet as I climb out. Am I the only one nipping out just thinking about how sweet that would be?

Probably. But it's still cool.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Wow.your keeping me allive here.lol.your ideas are wild, and your love for autobot is aparent.if i may asl, PLEASE,are you a young fella,oops, or gal?and im sure if you find the right people anything can be done for you,at a cost of course$$$.good luck on your endevars.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm buying a car to turn into a giant cartoon toy from the 80s/90s
Safe assumption would be late 20s-early 30s male ;-)

Anyway, in theory it shouldn't be that hard. Hard part would be splicing it into the sound system...could just use a small independent speaker built into the door. Then all you'd need to do is wire it into the switch in the door that turns the dome light on and find a way to tie it into the car's power supply without frying it...anyone good with electronics?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
You would need a separate speaker system since the car audio won't be on without the key in the ignition ACC or ON position. Cool idea though.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, right. That makes sense, and assuming you can find a place to stash the speaker would probably be easier to rig up. All you gotta do then is splice it into the dome light switch and either tap into the power there (you'd probably need some resistors to step it down from car voltage to whatever battery power it's used to running off of) or else keep the whole thing battery powered and just change the little button cells now and then

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who knows, maybe I'll start a trend. Open your door and get a trumpet fanfare, or the opening lines of 'born to be wild'. It can't be that hard to do and it's something nobody else's car does

·
Registered
584 Posts
Wouldn't be hard to have something play on a separate speaker system. Just have to tap it into the dome light switch at the door. If you are using different voltages just need a relay switch.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the plan. Most of the sound chips I've seen come with their own speaker and button. Either splice the button into the dome light switch or else swap it out for a heavier duty flat pressure switch like you see on laser sights for guns and find a place to wedge it in where it won't get crushed too bad or keep the door from sealing.

Question then becomes where to put the speaker. I'm thinking there's got to be a hollow behind the interior door panel somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
That's the plan. Most of the sound chips I've seen come with their own speaker and button. Either splice the button into the dome light switch or else swap it out for a heavier duty flat pressure switch like you see on laser sights for guns and find a place to wedge it in where it won't get crushed too bad or keep the door from sealing.

Question then becomes where to put the speaker. I'm thinking there's got to be a hollow behind the interior door panel somewhere.
SURFS got some photos inhis stereo install thread that shows behind door panels.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
And then you have to figure out how to turn it off. The switch and relay would start the sound effect but you would either need a timed recording or a switch to turn it off once you are in the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
a) your best bet is to drop it off at a reputible shop and have them scheem up something for you.

b) with that said, the car already has a siren on it (look at your key, see that red panic button... exactly). i would think the easier way is to try to find somebody out there that makes pre recorded microphones/sirens and more or less "switch" them out. with this, assuming it is a simple +/- setup for the siren (i dont see why it wouldnt be?) it wouldnt be hard to then take the door sensor wire and tap it to the said siren, theoretically then when you open the door the siren would chime (much as the dome light would come on with same effect). im 100% sure it is more complicated than snipping and connecting some wires but thats the path i would start down first.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One reason I'm looking at maybe skipping the dome light switch and just finding a place to slip a pressure switch between frame and door is bevause the sound chips I've seen are all set for momentary activation. You push the button (or release if if you switch it around) and it plays the sound once. It shouldn't loop, but if it does, I could just add a minute or so of dead space to the track to give me time to get in and close it.

I'm going to have to order one of those chips and play around with it. It's only $10 or so so there's no harm in experimenting with it

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I'll be looking forward to see what you come up with.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll keep you posted. If it works how I think it will, it'll be a cheap, easy drop-in mod that anyone should be able to do.

And who wouldn't want something simple and customizable? Imagine, Taz, the sound of crashing waves or hula music whenever you open your door ;-)

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
just got all the parts in today.

Sound cards were cheap and easy to find. I picked up a 3-pack for in the neighborhood of $30 total, $10 per door isn't bad.
Amazon.com: 3 PUSH BUTTON Re-Recordable Sound Modules: Everything Else

You would not believe how insanely hard it was to find 'normally closed' tactile switches!
After hours of web searches and a fruitless trip to radio shack, I found a place that sold what I needed
TL3310AF120QG E-Switch | EG4588CT-ND | DigiKey
At $0.87 apice I ordered four, that way I had a spare in case one got crushed in a door frame. With shipping it totaled like $6-$7

So right now this project is weighing in at just under $40, and if it works will be super cool and insanely simple to do.

I just have to wait for my brother to get home so I can borrow his soldering kit and change this switch out. I already have a card with the sound loaded that works when you push a button. i just need to wire in the reversed switch and some extension wire and I'll run out and slap it onto the pontiac to test it

EDIT UPDATE:

Fuckin works! I was worried about the button being too thick and getting crushed or not letting the door close properly. Turns out the reverse is true. The button is so slim that it would either get missed entirely or the squishy weatherstripping would just mush around it and not set it off.

Until the idea surfaced to mount it TO the weatherstripping. I'm going to have to watch that mounting tape to see how well it holds but it seems to be doing fine securing a hard little button to squishy foam rubber. but for now it works. I've got just the bare cards and speakers mounted to the pillar in my pontiac, just as proof of concept. When I do the final version for the IQ I'll have to find a way to hide it better but for now it works!

I'll try to take a video or at least some pics later...but it works!

Open the door, 0.3 sec later "Chee-choo-choo-chee-chock!"
Pimp!

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's video now!

Obviously this is rough naked prototype phase here. The ones I plan to stick in the iq will either be stuffed in a door panel or covered in plastic or something less obvious and ugly, but hey, it works! Other improvements would be better speakers (Maybe. The one on the card is a little tinny, but that doesn't really hurt the transforming sound I want), removing the speaker from mounting its on and giving it a longer wire so the card and the speaker can be hidden in different places, fiddling with different types of buttons and switches to find one that works better, and some kind of sheathing for the button cord which will be exposed. But hey, it works!

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Because that requires opening things up and splicing into the wiring and finding a way to make something designed for a couple button cells run off of the car's voltage without frying out, and a bunch of other effort that's beyond my meager skill level. In short: I have no idea how to do it, and it seemed like a lot of extra work.

But this is something that took literally fifteen minutes to whip up, requires no skill beyond basic use of a soldering iron and can be added to absolutely any car in minutes by absolutely anyone. It's not very fancy but it's extremely accessible.

Ideally I'd like to mount it to the door rather than the pillar, so the speaker is closer to the people outside the car rather than the guy getting out (after all, you want to impress the strangers outside) but with the squishy weatherstripping the pontiac has on its frame it was impossible to get an activation that way (at least with the current switches). Work in progress!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts