Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a video online where someone was test driving an iQ and they "shifted" from S to D when pulling away from a stop sign. Does anyone else do this? Do you use B to shift down when coming to a stop also?

How do you drive your iQ?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you do it? I mean, do you shift down to B when slowing down to stop? I guess I'm just trying to understand how to take the best advantage of this on my iQ.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't shift at all. Now and then I'd love having a full manual on this car, but then again as a city driver it is probably far more practical to have the iQ's CVT. I just tell those "other voices in my head" to be quiet. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's easy.

"D" is the most efficienty (lowest RPM) mode. You could stay in D all the time if you wanted.

"S" tells the car to use a little higher RPM. If you give throttle while you're in S, you accelerate quicker/harder. If you are braking while in "S" the higher RPM/engine load helps slow the car down. It's like downshifting in this way.

"B" is the highest rpm setting we have. You can smash the gas while using B to accelerate or hit the brake to slow down.

Try it out... and you'll see exactly what I'm saying. On the highway I use "S" and some gas to catch up, merge...etc. And at quick stops I use S and B to help slow down... or to just slow down entirely without using my brakes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's easy.

"D" is the most efficienty (lowest RPM) mode. You could stay in D all the time if you wanted.

"S" tells the car to use a little higher RPM. If you give throttle while you're in S, you accelerate quicker/harder. If you are braking while in "S" the higher RPM/engine load helps slow the car down. It's like downshifting in this way.

"B" is the highest rpm setting we have. You can smash the gas while using B to accelerate or hit the brake to slow down.

Try it out... and you'll see exactly what I'm saying. On the highway I use "S" and some gas to catch up, merge...etc. And at quick stops I use S and B to help slow down... or to just slow down entirely without using my brakes.

What he said...^ with one addition. The S and B shift modes are awesome for braking on steep hills.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I would avoid shifting into "B" when coming to a stop. It's great for steep hills but flat driving doesn't require more than a shift into "S" when coming to a stop. I use the "S" mode when getting on the freeway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would avoid shifting into "B" when coming to a stop. It's great for steep hills but flat driving doesn't require more than a shift into "S" when coming to a stop. I use the "S" mode when getting on the freeway.
Also correct. The B mode is like slamming on your brakes especially on flat driving.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Also correct. The B mode is like slamming on your brakes especially on flat driving.
But when slamming on your brakess the rpm dont raise,QUICKLY,like it does when you slam it into B MODE ONLY,which i avoid doing alltogether,b mode is great for an incredibly steep downgrade,which i rarely see either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
But when slamming on your brakess the rpm dont raise,QUICKLY,like it does when you slam it into B MODE ONLY,which i avoid doing alltogether,b mode is great for an incredibly steep downgrade,which i rarely see either.
Let me clarify...it feels like you're slamming on your brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Let me clarify...it feels like you're slamming on your brakes.
Absolutely not,when you slam on your brakes your rpms go dead,if you slam in B mode your rpms hit redline and revlimit,not good.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're right. This happens with every car I own. At first it feels a little foreign and I don't push it to see what it will do but eventually I become so comfortable with my car it becomes like it was made for me. It's good to know that I can "experiment" with the shifting and see what works best for me. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts