Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with aftermarket wheels or separate winter tire/wheels has anyone found a solution for the TPMS light?

Buying 4 new sensors and having it programmed every 6 months is not something I care to do.

My solution so far will be to just remove the bulb from the instrument cluster. That is if it just has a bulb. The other solution would be finding the wire from the TPMS module and disabling it from there.

I'm pretty sure I can manage the tire pressure without an idiot light telling me that it's low. Perhaps if the system monitored/showed each tire and it's respective pressure I would be willing to keep it working. But just a warning light? No thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For those with aftermarket wheels or separate winter tire/wheels has anyone found a solution for the TPMS light?

Buying 4 new sensors and having it programmed every 6 months is not something I care to do.

My solution so far will be to just remove the bulb from the instrument cluster. That is if it just has a bulb. The other solution would be finding the wire from the TPMS module and disabling it from there.

I'm pretty sure I can manage the tire pressure without an idiot light telling me that it's low. Perhaps if the system monitored/showed each tire and it's respective pressure I would be willing to keep it working. But just a warning light? No thanks.

Hi,

That's a tricky question. It's illegal to disable tpms here in the states. Did someone say electric tape. I always swap out the tpms if they will fit. Mine worked fine after they where swapped.

I use these tire pressure sensors...

on my cars also because tpms is not perfect.

Keep the faith.

-Kooler

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Just a picture write up.

I did this last year but forgot to post up.

Just take apart the cluster. Apply black tape to the correct bulb/square. Put back together. Enjoy the light being out.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Nice easy solution. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's illegal for a repair business to knowingly disable the tpms system but a consumer/private owner can do what he wants to the tpms system. Not saying it's a smart thing to do. Personally I like having it in the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own a Transit Connect van, well, until Monday. I'm trading it in on a 2015 iQ. For the Transit, I wanted a 2nd set of "winter" tires/wheels so I bought a TPMS programming tool and also a 2nd set of sensors. That way, I could just program the sensors for each set of wheels that I put on the vehicle. Upon further investigation, I found out that I could program the sensors with a magnet. Programmer was approx. $40, sensors were $25 each.

I plan to do the same with the iQ. The steelies will be my winter set. I already have another set of sensors which I'll put into the new wheels that I buy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i bought 4 new steel rims, 4 new Winter tires (Micheline Ice 3) from Toyota Dealer, they installed 4 new TPMS sensors, balance all tires, Programed all sensors on the Winter sets of tires, (this was all done on the same winter of the year I bought my 2014 IQ10), every 6 months, I just go to the Dealer to do O/F service and have all 4 tires swapped for the Season .(It costed me around $1500 CAN), It has been 6 Years now, The TPMS warning light did come up once for no reason (I checked all my tires pressure which were all good), went back to dealer to complain, they just reset/reprogram the codes of sensors and all good. this couple week, the TPMS light came on again but as I drove for a while, it went off. and once every few days, it did it to me again, again, drove for a while, it went off and didn't come back for a long time. Realized that if there is sudden change of temperature, the tires did contract or expand thus would cost the difference of pressure inside the tires, and as you drive along for a while, all tires tend to get back to its normal pressure, so the warning light would go off itself. and of course there is a piece of button battery inside each Sensor which will die after a certain year of service. that is also a problem as well. Unfortunately, it is the law for cars (from a certain year onward) have to have this warning system on it. You guys are right, it is a nuisance to have the warning light comes on so often while the tires pressure are all correct, it is just an eye sore looking at it while driving (and you never know if it is a real problem or not because it does not displace the tire's pressure or which tire is costing the problem. I admired DanDanLongDan took all the time and effort to cover up the warning light from inside of the dash display. Kooler R01 swapping to the pressure display sensors seems to be another good alternative. But did you mean that we have to remove the TPMS sensor stem and replaced with the ordinary valve stem, and then screw on the pressure sensor you show on your picture? Because long time ago even before the TPMS system was the law and not every car must have it on from factory, I saw advertising of the same kind of sensor (But only display Red or Green instead of number) that you can buy, by just screwing onto the valve stem also serve as a valve stem cap (the normal black plastic cap). I was thinking of getting those pressure sensors but afraid of being stolen (it happened quite often here even with the cheap normal black plastic valve stem cap), people just pretended fixing up their shoe laces near your tires and....If it does happen to me again and never goes away, i would just put a piece of black tape on the outside of the dash display just enough to cover the warning light :). i would also check my tire pressures once every few weeks (after the car been sitting over night).
***could someone please teach me how to attach image onto the posting? as I was trying to do so (by clicking the insert image button) but it only allowed me to put a link address instead, thanks in advance of helping.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I finally figured out how to attach image to posting, just copy image from my file and paste into this posting page instead of clicking the top right " insert image" icon :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts