Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to posting on forums but I bought a 2012 IQ a few weeks ago and I have so many projects that I'm trying to work on all of which I have questions about that leave the dealers scratching there heads I would appreciate any answer or even a push in the right direction so heres a list of my ?'s an thanks in advanced for any answers

1. I want t change from factory headlights to HID's what kind of headlights go in low beams? And where's a good place for HID kits?

2. If I buy OEM fog light kit and under dash light kit are they plug and play or require a lot of wiring?

3. How many amps does the alternator crank out?

4. What kind of maker lights reverse lights and signal light do I need to replace with led?

5. Does K&N offer an air filter for this car?

6. How hard is it to change the oil? And what kinda oil are you guys running?

7. I'm replacing factory rims with custom I'm going to 17's but I'm going 7in wide rather then stock 5in has anyone done this if so do you have problems with rubbing?

·
Registered
159 Posts
1. I want t change from factory headlights to HID's what kind of headlights go in low beams? And where's a good place for HID kits?

5. Does K&N offer an air filter for this car?

7. I'm replacing factory rims with custom I'm going to 17's but I'm going 7in wide rather then stock 5in has anyone done this if so do you have problems with rubbing?
I only have answer to few of your questions.

1. HID kit was the first mod i did to the car. I installed 8000K HID kit, the bulb socket is H11. I just got mine on eBay. I would suggest you to get the slim ballast version since there isn't that much room under the hood. Here is a post of how I had the HID kit installed - http://www.iq-forums.com/forums/appearance-body-modifications/717-8000k-hid-installed.html

5. I don't think there is any air filter released by K&N yet. I know that Weapon R has a cold air intake for the iQ. Spidious on this forum has it installed on his iQ. I also found out that Injen is testing their intake on the iQ too, no release date thou.

7. 17x7 will work on the iQ.

Welcome to the forum :)

-Ken

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
welcome to the forum,hang around and all your questions and then some WILL be answerd.congrats on your purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new iQ.

There is a ton of great information on this site. Take your time and look around, maybe use the search feature. You'll find what you're looking for I'm sure of it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the alternator amps... People have hids and the ballasts run fine. I have an audio amp to a sub, and I haven't experienced any low voltage or dimming lights. You have enough amps to do what you need to.

Also, don't worry about oil changing. 1. The dealer is going to do it. 2. It's synthetic and only gets changed every 10k miles.

Most of the light stuff is on this forum somewhere, I personally haven't changed any lighting so I don't know off the top of my head.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I only have answer to few of your questions.
5. I don't think there is any air filter released by K&N yet. I know that Weapon R has a cold air intake for the iQ. Spidious on this forum has it installed on his iQ. I also found out that Injen is testing their intake on the iQ too, no release date thou.
-Ken
I have the prototype air intake from Weapon-R. The stock air intake port is a cruel joke. Definitely do something to get your baby more air. My W-R brought the power curve roll-off up about 10 mph and it sounds a lot less like a toy. Normal driving it does nothing but there's a noticeable difference when you punch it. Costs me about 0.5 mpg overall.

And if you're gonna drive it like that: consider you some lowering springs and anti-sway bars. Baby gets fierce with tighter shoelaces.

Welcome to the forums! Happy mad modding! We're gonna wanna see pictures! Better yet: video!

-Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the answers guys I really appreciate it. Hey VancouverIQ what kind of amp and sub setup are you running I have a competition JL Audio 12 with a Mono amp I plan on hiding the amp and tsunami 1 farad capacitor in the rear cubby where the tire repair kit are located any ideas? And did you have a problem getting a remote wire and RCA's off the stock radio? I plan on going custom but I'm waiting on a reply from Crutchfield.com to see if the make a controller so I don't lose my steering wheel controls with a custom radio.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a small (100watt) amp, no cap, single 10" JBL sub. It was something I picked up cheap off Craigslist, but gets the job done.

I have the amp under my driver seat and the sub sitting right behind me since no one can really use that seat anyway.

I ran my power cable through the firewall. There was a hole that something was using (maybe the speedometer cable) which had a rubber ring I managed to push out with my finger to create space for the positive cable.

I ran my remote wire through the same hole. It's located on the driver side up under the dash. From the engine side it's easier to see if you look up into your wheel well from the ground - toward the firewall - near driver side front wheel. If you cant see it, stick your hand in there and feel for it, it's kind of hidden but you'll feel the spot where something goes through the firewall, then just push the rubbed plug through.

You'll notice there's a fuse box near your battery. If you pop the lid and look at the diagram under the lid, you'll see there are two fuses marked ignition. I lifted one of these fuses and wedged the tip of the remote wire in there and then pushed the fuse back down.... I know... a little ghetto, but it works fine.

I lifted the plastic trim that goes along the door/floor and there are some spots to run your wires easily. It just pops off.

Oh and the RCA cables plug right into the back of the head unit (base model), but you have to enter the "secret" mode to turn on the Sub RCA output. To get that mode, turn your key to on, turn the radio off, press and hold the fat knob in for a few seconds and you'll see the options from there.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you need pics because I'm not making sense I'll try to get you some, just ask.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome I was wondering how I was going to get my 4gage power wire back there is there enough room when popping that plastic trim up to run a 4gage wire? What size wire did you use?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yunkikan I have been researching hid kits and I keep running across articles of people complaining of melted headlight lenses cuz hids get really hot, do yours get hot, and do you run them a lot? Also what name brand did you buy I've never done hids if you've had good luck I'll but the brand you did.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think the hole might be smaller than a dime. If you are running cable that big it might be easier/better for you to take off your front tire and drill a hole through the firewall. I don't think it will be a problem just ensure the other side is clear and put it in a place where the cable can go from the battery/through firewall/and easily feed along the floor/wall plastics.

I didn't use very big wire. That reminds me though. For grounding, I popped one of the wall panels off and found a nut to ground to. Depending where you place your amp, you'll have to snoop around to find a good spot.

EDIT:
The cable will fit fine under the plastic, plenty of room (even clips to hold it for you)... but the hole will be your challenge with that cable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yunkikan I have been researching hid kits and I keep running across articles of people complaining of melted headlight lenses cuz hids get really hot, do yours get hot, and do you run them a lot? Also what name brand did you buy I've never done hids if you've had good luck I'll but the brand you did.
I have installed HIDs on like 5 cars and none of them get hot, and I can't remember what was the brand of the HID kit that I got. Just to make sure that when you installing the bulbs, make sure don't touch the bulbs with your skin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I know this is a shot in the dark but has anyone else thought of putting air tanks and a pump in the cubby where the tire repair kit goes and adding a train horn to there might beast lol? I'm really thinking about this any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys just ordered OEM foglig kit gonna install myself looks pretty much plug in play but I'm going to play with LEDs and stuff with them can someone tell me what bulbs are in OEM foglights for the 2012 IQ??

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts