Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While under the hood today filling the battery (took a bit over a pint total) I was looking over the external engine / transmission components and got curious about how to check and top off the CVT fluid as there is no dip stick.
The maintenance book says that every 5K all fluids are to be checked and topped off ... but how?
The maintenace book also says specifically that the CVT fluid is to be checked at 30K.
The owner's manual says what to use and how much the CVT holds ... but not how to check it.

Anyone experienced in this :confused:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good article and as you siad, reason to check your own CVT and do your own drain and re fill.
The question still remains, who has done this?
Shucks, I may have to break down and find a shop manual!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Note to those who take it for service....tell them you want to SEE the dirty oil pan AND the metal shavings on the magnet....and take pics and note mileage for future tranny warrantee claims....Cover your @SS

·
Registered
196 Posts
Unless they clean the magnets they have NOT finished the job....magnets only hold so much crap...and then what they cannot hold will be floating around in your tranny....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless they clean the magnets they have NOT finished the job....magnets only hold so much crap...and then what they cannot hold will be floating around in your tranny....
Magnets? What magnets are in this CVT metalhead100 ??

·
Registered
540 Posts
If I remember correct, there are three magnets on the pan to grab any loose metal.
Almost all cars out the with automatics have them.
Manual transmissions usually have magnetic lower plugs that do about the same thing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Spidey nailed it....there are magnets in the cvt pan.....like 4 of them or so....that hold the scraps as your tranny self destructs.....follow Iqfanatic's link for pics....

Metal sticking to magnets means parts are getting worn ect....wonder how long our tranny will last.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spidey nailed it....there are magnets in the cvt pan.....like 4 of them or so....that hold the scraps as your tranny self destructs.....follow Iqfanatic's link for pics....

Metal sticking to magnets means parts are getting worn ect....wonder how long our tranny will last.....
Cool! I had no idea that the little CVT had a slew of magnets in it!
Any idea on proceedure to service the CVT besides dropping the pan and cleaning the magnets? So far I have found nothing else but what you have enlightened me with metalhead!

·
Registered
353 Posts
thecerkin,
You said
"While under the hood today filling the battery (took a bit over a pint total)"

My IQ owner's manual says the battery is a maintenance free one on page 188. Does your IQ have a different type battery?

If your battery is a maintenance free one then you should not need to be adding water. Also I am surprised that it would take a pint of water.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thecerkin,
You said
"While under the hood today filling the battery (took a bit over a pint total)"

My IQ owner's manual says the battery is a maintenance free one on page 188. Does your IQ have a different type battery?

If your battery is a maintenance free one then you should not need to be adding water. Also I am surprised that it would take a pint of water.

Yup, you're right!
My "Panasonic" brand battery is NOT a sealed maintenace free battery as it says on page 188 ... following the reference to page 214 of the owner's manual and when you look closely at the picture you will see all six of the little plastic plugs that unscrew. The rear most cell was the lowest by the way.
And yes again barnone, my calibrated (Dollar Store Special) turkey baster that I used to fill the cells (added together) came to 9.5 oz so I guess that I should have said "half pint" instead of rounding up to pint ... rather fitting too (half pint that is) :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
My battery is NOT maint. free either.....Its old school with removable plugs

·
Registered
353 Posts
There does seem to quite a few discrepancies in the owner's manuals for the IQ and the Pioneer Premium Radio. I'd say that the manuals are not up to Toyota's standards. Maybe we ought to start a sticky (if one does not already exist) with all the discrepancies?

EDIT: Just checked under the hood and my battery is also not maintenance free.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My battery is NOT maint. free either.....Its old school with removable plugs
Thank you metalhead! I'm not crazy .... well, anymore than normal at least :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like it old school....gives me something to do under the hood....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts