Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Gang,

I understand that many of you do not want cruise control on the IQ or think it is necessary. Others would like to have the option.

FYI I just called the folks at Rostra Precision Controls Inc. today (4/25/12) to see if they had an aftermarket cruise control kit in development for the IQ. The woman I talked with in customer service said "yes" and that the part number will be 250-9621. It has not been released yet so you can't order one yet but it has been developed and they are going through what she called "engineering paperwork" right now. She said the anticipated timeline for it to be available is late May to early June 2012. It will be available through their existing distributors. I didn't ask about costs or technical details.

I hope those interested in cruise control find this helpful/encouraging.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is awesome news!

I have always wished for a steering wheel mounted speed control.
Any idea what it will look like or how it will connect?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is awesome news!

I have always wished for a steering wheel mounted speed control.
Any idea what it will look like or how it will connect?
She didn't say. My best suggestion would be that you look at the kits for other models on their web site, particularly the one for the Toyota Yaris as I've read that there are system similarities with the IQ.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't really care if their is a light on the dash. I just want to be able to take it to Chicago and not get cramps trying to keep it at 65

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Rostra web site now shows the 2012 iQ and the unit number but doesn't link to the details yet. Coming attraction I presume. I did send them an email to see if they had a retailer/installer in the Portland area.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I may hold out for a different type of control...
I prefer one built into the spot on the steering wheel opposite the radio controls.
Then there would be no need for cutting the bottom cover.

You can just pop off the right hand steering wheel spoke cover and replace it with a panel holding the on-off/set/coast switches.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fantastic news. But does anyone know if installing it would void any part of the car's warranty? I wouldn't think so because so many people mod their Scions, but I wanted to ask to be sure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Rostra web site now shows the 2012 iQ and the unit number but doesn't link to the details yet. Coming attraction I presume. I did send them an email to see if they had a retailer/installer in the Portland area.
Got a prompt reply from Rostra with a couple of suppliers/installers in the Portland area. They anticipate having it out by the end of May.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Update on the cruise control

Date: May 1, 2012 12:38:44 PM CDT
To:Fred
Subject: Re: Scion iq cruise contol
should be this month i will send email as soon as i receive them
thanks

Patrick Riselay
M&R Electronics
5665 State St.
Saginaw,MI. 48603
989-790-2949

Also

Good morning Fred,

I apologize for the delayed response. I've included the contact information for your two nearest cruise control distributors. I'm afraid I don't have information on what this unit will retail for as we allow our distributors to make their own pricing.

M & R Electronics
5665 State Street
Saginaw MI 48603
517-790-2949

Motovicity
32655 Industrial Drive
Madison Heights MI 48071
800-343-1382

Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

Bill Simmons
Customer Service and Web Media Supervisor Rostra Precision Controls, Inc.
2519 Dana Dr.
Laurinburg, NC 28352
+1 910 291 2532

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on the cruise control...
Spidious, being in Central Indiana Rostra referred me via email to the Saginaw and Madison Heights Michigan distributers as well. I couldn't believe that those were the closest options to me (4 -1/2 hours one way) and so I called their customer service department and they were able to identify a few others much closer. You may want to do the same to see if you have closer options. They directed me to a Ziebart store in Indianapolis and from there I found out that my local Ziebart store (5 minutes away) can get the kit and will do the install if I decide to go that route. I have no idea about any cost or quality implications of that direction however.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So you MUST purchase the kit from a dealer?
Are they REQUIRED to do the install or can I do it myself?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just found this thread shortly after emailing them myself. here is their reply

Hello Walter,

This unit is expected to be released in approximately two weeks. It will be very similar in form, function and installation to our other 9600-series cruise controls listed on our website. Installation instructions will of course be specific to the iQ, but those won't be available for download until the kit officially ships.

Thank you for your interest.
I asked about sales:

It will be available for purchase only through authorized distributors. If you don't have one in mind already, please let me know and I'll refer you to a company nearby. Most distributors have pricing for the unit already.
If I get some pricing I'll follow back up with this post.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts