Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I'm trying to see if my dealer can get me a custom color (red) from the factory. I'm hoping the fact I want a spoiler too won't make things too tough on them, but in the event that getting the guys in the factory to point a different color spray gun at mine proves to be too much of a challenge, I need to know about my options.

A full-on showroom-grade paint job is probably going to cost me $1500+ that, unfortunately, is just more than I can afford.

I've heard Maco can do a color change for the neighborhood of $500, which is pretty close to my limit for something like this. Only problem is, I heard that that level of paint job looks kinda crappy.

How crappy does it look? Has anyone gotten a $500 respray? I really don't care of the door sills and jambs all match the outside. In fact, maybe black jambs with a red exterior would look neat.

So, questions are as follows:

How much does a reasonably attractive color change cost?
How bad is a cheapie Maco-job, really? As long as it doesn't have the texture of an orange peel and is both shiny and red, I'm not too concerned about anything else.
What are my options? (Maybe some kind of wrap? No idea what that entails or costs though)
What base color would be best/easiest to repaint? I'm thinking black, just because of the whole jambs and sills thing, I honestly think black and red would look neat. (Maybe I could get them to mask part off and do up a racing stripe from the original color?) Obviously black is hard to cover up though, but then, do they actually cover or do they strip and redo? Gray would be easier to cover...but what about lava? Could they just spray a coat or two of red over the orange and tint the thing enough towards the red end of the spectrum?
Has anyone done anything like this before on a budget?
has anyone successfully cajoled their dealer into a custom color, and if so how much was it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wish I could be of some help and answer your questions for you but I have nothing nice to say about Maaco. Sorry. :(

Best of luck to you though!

·
Registered
540 Posts
For $29.95 I will repaint your car..

What a joke. I can remember when that company first stated painting car. Chrome, rubber, glass what ever wasn't masked off !

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still waiting to hear if my dealerhsip can score me a red one. Otherwise, I guess I'm SOL.

has anyone here had any experience with color changes?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear if my dealerhsip can score me a red one. Otherwise, I guess I'm SOL.

has anyone here had any experience with color changes?
sorry to say,but this scenario is very unlikely,my chevy nova had a medioker paint job a couple years back and it cost me 7500$ orange peel included.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As someone else mentioned I think a total wrap may be your best bet. And you could get creative with the design to include faux elements from the actual character. Or you could pick up a Chevy (Daewoo) Spark this summer in Red. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much does a wrap cost? That looks like it would be perfect.

Also, don't want a spark. Those retarded racist twins from the shitty bayformers movies turned into chevy spark concept cars. I don't want that kind of baggage LOL

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I know
How much does a wrap cost? That looks like it would be perfect.

Also, don't want a spark. Those retarded racist twins from the shitty bayformers movies turned into chevy spark concept cars. I don't want that kind of baggage LOL
I know thete was a Lambo wrapped at the car show,which cost 18000$ but I think the iq would be considerably less ,lol,im guessin a grand maybe,but dont quate me on that,just an uneducated fella here guessing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Go old-school! The Sunday newspaper, a roll of painter's tape, and 5 cans of Krylon, not necessarily all the same color! Park it on the lawn, mask it off, and get creative! The grass'll grow back and keep the dust down.

Actually my iQ's way too young for the barrio treatment, but I'm lookin' funny at my '96 Suzuki with the faded, peeling and chipped "victory red" paint. Once over lightly with a sandblaster and I'm thinkin' bright orange, white under, yellow in between with black, brown, and metallic gold bengal tiger stripes....

You poor saps and your 1-color factory paint jobs. When will you ever learn? If you're gonna go: go big.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If it were me I'd do some careful and thorough inspection to see if you could get a red iQ from the factory, perhaps in 2013. That timeline may not work for you, and such a thing may never be available here, but a factory red paint job would be the very best option of all.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The salesman I've been dealing with called me with a status update. They're still working on it, he's got the management shaking every tree they can think of. They might be able to get one tagged and pulled aside for special paint at the factory. He sounded pretty positive, though he was pretty surprised at how difficult it's been so far.

He did mention that he was looking at 2013 models and, sadly, it looks like it's going to be the exact same color palette next year too.

I've also been in touch with a wrap guy, he's going to try and ballpark me a figure here soon based on what it takes to wrap a Smart since the IQ isn't in their system yet.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guestimation from the wrap guy I talked to says about $1550...Still too much for me at this time...but pretty reasonable compared to a repaint. Something to consider for later

1 - 20 of 59 Posts