Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO, I JUST JOINED IQ FORUMS YESTERDAY. I NEED HELP PLEASE......I HAVE A 2012 IQ. IT CAME WITH THE 5 SPOKE WHEEL COVERS. I WANT TO PUT EITHER 16 OR 17 INCH WHEELS ON THE CAR AND DON'T WANT TO BUY THE SCION WHEELS SPECIFIC TO THE CAR. I AM HEARING HORROR STORIES OF BUYING WHEELS THAT EITHER NEED CENTERING RINGS OR SPACERS ETC.... Can anyone enlighten me on the subject. for example i talked to a super friendly rep. from tirerack.com and the wheels i was going to buy were focal x 16 inch in black and would come with centering rings and lug nuts for the wheels. MY QUESTION IS....IS IT SAFE TO USE A SETUP LIKE THIS? WILL IT RIDE ALRIGHT? DOES IT VOID ANY KIND OF WARRANTY WITH SCION? ALSO, WILL 17 INCH WHEELS RUB? PERHAPS THATS THE THE SPACERS HELP WITH? I JUST DON'T KNOW AND WELCOME ANY KIND OF INSIGHT. THANKS.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you go with a 16", 17", 18"... you really wont have any problems. The stock tire is so skinny that there is still a lot of room to spare. A rim with a +40 or +45 offset is just right, and you probably want to look at the rims others have put on their IQ to get an idea of what it might look like and the pros and cons of the swap.

I recently put on 18"s and there have been good and bad things... The rims are heavier and I accelerate a little slower, as well as stop slower. But the ride feels better at the same time. I also lost a mpg or 2.

Personally I wanted the 18"s because I think that size looks good once the car gets lowered and you have a body kit on it, which is my plan eventually.

If you don't care a ton about big wheels or filling the wheel wells I would go with a smaller rim and keep it skinny.

·
Registered
273 Posts
These are the 18"s. I like how the circumference of them follows the wheel well. Notice there is still a decent sized gap above the tire, I do not have lowering springs yet, but when I get them it will eliminate some. Also, the body kit will make the car seem lower than it is. I'm still tossing around ideas in my head... Anyways... I got those rims and tires off Craigslist for $400, not a bad deal at all. There are some other rims I think would look better, but these hit the spot for the right price. They are Enkei Rims which are popular among the Honda/Acura crowd. I like'em.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok... well here's my immediate thoughts. With my gray car I googled to see what color rims would look good with the dark gray. There are a few choices... I am not a chrome fan so that was out. Gun metal looks good, White looks really good, and also Bronze looks good... I literally googled "gray car with bronze rims" "gray car with white rims" etc.... to be able to see what it looks like. I mean, you can't always imagine a color combo... so you have to see it.

Beyond that, you have to figure out how big you want to go... most of that fitting speculation is done for you since people have already confirmed what fits.

If you google "tire calculator" you can put in your before tire size and after to get an idea of how much bigger or smaller the new wheel will be and how it will effect your speedo.

As I said, the rims I have on right now, I have because they were cheap and somewhat close by. I was thinking about something unorthodox. I plan on putting the lip kit on the gray car and making it Halloween orange with vinyl wrap... and at that point I'm probably going to paint my rims orange as well. Orange and Gray see horrible.. but when you see it, it actually looks pretty neat.... and that's why I'm probably gonna go that route. You just have to put some thought into what YOU like about a car... and go from there. The minor details anybody will help you with.

I don't really know what would go with a lava, but you might want to see if you can find some pics of a lava type paint with white rims, it might look clean. Generally red looks really good with white or gold rims. I would start there. You could always go black, but in my opinion your wheels should stand out and now be shadowed in, unless you're "murdering" or blacking out your car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
For example... The wheels (in the pic) are 18"s and come in 4x100 (which is what you need)... and I think they would look sick on any of our cars, no matter what color. The guy emailed me and said he "had them in stock" too. They probably get imported, but whatever. Sick wheels!!!

The url is: wheelsmotion (dot) com and the dude's email address is: [email protected]

You can look at the other rims he has on the site, but these as you see them are $480... You'll have to shop for tires, but I can tell you a good size and you'll still need lugs and junk... but even if you just get the rims you want and bring them somewhere local, they can hook you up with a proper install and the small things you need. Remember, this is all supposed to be fun at the end of the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
again, thanks for all your info. did your wheels require centering rings or spacers? what about tpms? did you install them on your new wheels and if you did, did they initialize automatically or did the dealer have to reset the tpms?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I installed the new wheels without the hubcentric rings because I put them on the same day I bought them (from a guy on Craigslist). I haven't noticed any vibration yet. If I do get some I'll probably get the wheels rebalanced and order some rings.

I didn't swap the TPS. I just run without them and the light stays illuminated in the dash.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
PS Hiker, hopefully by now you found your wheels, but to others on here who wants to do things properly. The correct off spacing for our iq to avoid rubbing issues is 45 offset. The correct tire width is 205, and depending on what size you go with for a 17 side wall is 45. So for example if your running a 17" wheel you should be running a 205-45-17. If your running a 18" wheel you should be running a 205-35-18. For a 19" wheel you should be running a 205-25-19. If your running a 25 series or 35 series tire you are asking for trouble and probably shouldn't daily drive the car because your side wall is very small and even though our cars are very light the chance that you will damage a wheel is very high.

as for the TPMS you should always put it back in your new wheels, for those of us running low pro tires even more because it can and will save us from damaging expensive wheels. Most TPMS sensors will set of a warning light if the tire pressure goes down more than 12psi. If you already have them then there is no reason not to use them. You can take them off your original wheels and put them right onto your new wheels there is no re programming needed, and the car will recognize them no matter of which Side of the vehicle they are placed.

drive safe :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.