Scion IQ Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
the only time I had both those lights on is when I had left my gas cap off! took about a month of driving for the computers to reset themselves and the lights go back to normal. any chance the dealership did something and didn't tell you? I don't know why they would check gas cap etc but you never know. Maybe your first oil change also includes a free tank of gas (my dealership does that) and they didn't put the gas cap on tight or put it on wonky.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just got the car back from 5000 mi. service and drove about 75 miles over the next few days. The Check engine light came on, and the Traction control OFF light came on. Took it back in and now the dealer tells me the gas pedal sensor is bad and it will take "about" a week to get the parts. Anyone else hear anything on this happening to others? BTW I did have the dealer install cruise control at initial delivery.
what? they can do cruise control on IQ in the US? how much was it and is it OEM? Im looking to do mine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My traction control light came on and check engine came on the same time 2 weeks ago. I immediately called dealer was told to bring it right in. They told me a plug came loose for the traction control and they just had to plug to back in and the check engin light was a bad oxygen sensor had to order part they just replaced 2 days ago. It was kind of strange both lights came on at same time dealer said check engine light had to come on first I know it dident was it going to argue with him as long as it was fixed and it was.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This cruise control was installed in my iQ back in April 2013 by Daniel (Airbagged), see post #10. The installation was as professional as it can get, absolutely no worries there. However, in about the last seven months I have had this happen three times along with a loss of accelerating power, car seems to stall and will not accelerate. After the first time, took it in to dealer and they said it was the speed sensor, they replaced it. Happened again a couple of months later. Pulled off to the side, turned car off and then back on, and it was fine, though the Trac light and check engine lights did not immediately reset. Daniel checked the OBD codes, and there were two, speed sensor and low voltage. We believe the after market cruise control, at times somehow affects speed sensor voltage. Though infrequent, it can be a nuisance. I'll deal with this nuisance because over 90% of the time it works perfectly, and I know what to do to correct the hiccup. Having the cruise control is invaluable to me. P.S. - This has happened when the cruise control is on or off, being used or not. P.S.S. - Update to post #10, my gas mileage now is more like 36/37. Difference? Now I just enjoy driving the car instead of being so focused on driving conservatively and watching the mpg. 36/37 is still fantastic! Cheers everyone!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
This cruise control was installed in my iQ back in April 2013 by Daniel (Airbagged), see post #10. The installation was as professional as it can get, now worries there. However, in about the last seven months I have had this happen three times along with loss of rpms equating to about a drop of 10 mph of whatever speed I was doing. After the first time, took it in to dealer and they said it was the speed sensor, which they replaced. Happened again a couple of months later. Pulled off to the side, turned car off and then back on, and it was fine, though the Trac light and check engine lights did not immediately reset. Daniel checked the codes on the computer, and there were two, speed sensor and low voltage. We believe the after market cruise control, at times restricts or downgrades the voltage coming from the speed sensor. Though infrequent, it can be a nuisance. I'll deal with this nuisance because over 90% of the time it works perfectly, and I know what to do to correct the hiccup. Having the cruise control is invaluable to me. P.S. - This has happened when the cruise control is not on or being used. P.S.S. - Update to post #10, my gas mileage now is more like 36/37. Difference? Now I just enjoy driving the car instead of being so focused on driving conservatively and watching the mpg. 36/37 is still fantastic! Cheers everyone!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've found the same result as you. When I try to get better MPG by watching the ECO light or the MPG bar meter I get worse mileage than if I just drive normally and as you say, enjoy the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interestingly, the problem wasnt my cruise control rather a bad accelerator pedal. Got it replaced and recalibrated, now for some odd reason the car is surprisingly faster, im not complaining at all and enjoy the extra speed. I did get a new cruise control sent to me but I dont think I'll reinstall it. I didnt use it as much as I thought I would. Think I'll put it in the classifieds section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had my 5000 mile service done, and similar to mike1948, drove about 75 miles and the check engine light came on as did the Traction control OFF light. Acceleration was compromised but I was able to drive home.
Pulled out the cruise control and all things are back to normal.
I'm wondering if some equipment used by the dealership for service corrupts or damages the Rostra controls? Maybe some diagnostic connection to the OBD II port messes things up.
I'll call the manufacturer to see if I can get a new one to install. I use the cruise control most every day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 iQ too. Brought it to the dealer first time it happened and they turned it off. Got gas and a day later the trac off and check lights went on again. Been hearing it's not a big thing. Or is it? {:-D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Here we have three 2012 IQ owners, four counting me, that have had the same "check engine" and "traction control" lights come on. When I took mine in to the dealership, they wanted to blame mine on my InJen cold air intake causing a lean reading from the oxygen sensor on the intake until they found out that the intake has been installed for 10,000 previous miles with no problem. They then just reset my computer and it's not happened again, I call it a computer fluke? But, to protect my warranty and avoid any future hassles from the dealership, I took the InJen intake off and re-installed the stock intake system with a K&N hi-flow filter. (I have a 7year/100K warranty that I want to keep valid.) I think this must be a problem associated with the 2012 model of the IQ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here we have three 2012 IQ owners, four counting me, that have had the same "check engine" and "traction control" lights come on. When I took mine in to the dealership, they wanted to blame mine on my InJen cold air intake causing a lean reading from the oxygen sensor on the intake until they found out that the intake has been installed for 10,000 previous miles with no problem. They then just reset my computer and it's not happened again, I call it a computer fluke? But, to protect my warranty and avoid any future hassles from the dealership, I took the InJen intake off and re-installed the stock intake system with a K&N hi-flow filter. (I have a 7year/100K warranty that I want to keep valid.) I think this must be a problem associated with the 2012 model of the IQ?
FYI they have to prove that a modification or after market part caused the complaint or broken part ect. to deny warranty coverage. And they cannot void the entire warranty.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thanks, but I'm fully aware of that and that's what I told the dealership when they brought it up......what I basically was meaning was that, (I'm 68 now with arthritis), I just didn't want to hassle with it should it arise again, now it won't. Also, I will no longer be doing the warranty service on it as before, they will .....and my extended warranty stays in tact and I don't aggravate my arthritis. Works for me.....win-win for me and the dealership! At my age, there's a lot more to life than this car.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 IQ with NO cruise control, and the TRAC OFF and Check ENGINE lights came on at 23,000 miles. So my guess is that this problem is not the fault of an aftermarket cruise control installation.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a 2012 IQ with NO cruise control, and the TRAC OFF and Check ENGINE lights came on at 23,000 miles. So my guess is that this problem is not the fault of an aftermarket cruise control installation.
I had this same thing happen in my 2013 iQ and it was because I wanted to wash out the dirty engine and started the car while it was still wet..probably shorted a few things. The car ran fine, however. The next day, I hooked up the code reader to see what they were, wrote them down, and then cleared them. I restarted the car and everything was normal. So I learned to be careful if I want to clean out the engine compartment. (And let it dry completely before starting it up.)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts