Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess I found out why this center console/armrest was at such a
good price....and you are not going to like what I have to say. But, it's
better for you to know this up front....

When I got in my car this morning, I placed my right arm on the console
when I first sat down to adjust my butt position in the seat. I found out
quite abruptly that it can't take much down pressure even though I'm just
a little guy. It broke at the mount where the console/armrest portion
attaches to the plastic base with the two screws. $50 right down the toilet!

So, be aware and try to reinforce that mounting area, or constantly try
to remember not to place very much down force on the armrest pad. Hope
you have better luck than I did......

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear. A good photo of the broken location would help others reinforce theirs prior to installation.
I do not believe that where it broke can be reinforced not to....its where the the up/down
swivel point is and the plastic is just too thin and unsupported there. Also right after it broke,
my weekly trash man came around, so since it was not repairable, I tossed it.....there was no
time to do pictures.

My honest opinion.....because of where and how it broke, I would now advise NOT buying it, I
sure wouldn't have if I had it to do over again.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
thanks mistergib,the famous saying does apply,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.there is one for sale here at a local auto parts store,looks to be just great,but is a wee bit to wide,and the price is 109$.and i bet its sturdy as the dickens.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Bah, mine's already on its way!

Oh well, we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mister gib, thanks for the heads up. I am also committed as is cliffjumper.. I've been thinking of ways to mount this armrest with more support. Of course I'll have to wait until I receive it to finalize a plan. Right now I'm thinking about some sort of support from the front of the armrest to the leading edge of the wood below. ( I don't need the tilt up feature of the armrest base). I don't know, we'll see.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mister gib, thanks for the heads up. I am also committed as is cliffjumper.. I've been thinking of ways to mount this armrest with more support. Of course I'll have to wait until I receive it to finalize a plan. Right now I'm thinking about some sort of support from the front of the armrest to the leading edge of the wood below. ( I don't need the tilt up feature of the armrest base). I don't know, we'll see.
I didn't need the swivel up thing either....the extra support you are talking about doing would probably
have prevented my breakage.....without it, its just too weak at that joint, cause I didn't really put that
much down pressure on it when it broke. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
MIstergib
i think I'll run some sort of angle iron or rods between the two areas mentioned. I can even cover them with the felt. I can't stop now, I bought the Velcro at home depot as you did, I also got a piece of wood 12x24x2 for the base. (more than i need) and ordered the felt on the Internet so as you can see I'm committed. (and my armrest is in the mail.)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I figured it wouldn't ever support any real weight except you arm resting on it. I will double check mine when I get it.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Mine just came in (WAY FAST!) I wasn;t expecting it so I don;t have wood or velcro ready but I have put it together.

The box was totally thrshed but somehow the armrest inside survived the trip (mostly). The armrest attaches to the top bracker by slotting a pair of flanged sort of tabs in and then sliding it back and inserting a pair of screws to secure it. Well, the tabs both had broken during shipping...HOWEVER, they broke *above* the flanges, so it was basically just extra plastic that had broken off. Nothing visible or vital so no worries there.

The pair of silver screws which I assumed were for securing the armrest to the top bracket were both just a tad too long, so they ended up punching through the bottom of the bracket...but again, not visible really, so I don;t care. Just a heads up on that though, it may lead to cracks and splitting, etc.

Now that I have it together I'm having a hard time imagining how Mr Gib's broke, it seems really sturdy and secure to me, but I suppose only time will tell.

I'm definately going to have to stick it on a block of wood to raise it up a little. It sits very low at maximum extension. It needs a couple inches under it to be useful as an armrest. But I got it minly as a storrage compartment so I'm not too worried.

Need tto secure some wood and velcro, but I'll report my findings once I have it together and mounted

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
^^^ Mine broke because the bottom and back end of the wood base was
velcro'd to the floor carpet which limits the amount of give. So, when I got
in and placed my arm on the armrest pad and applied just a little downward
pressure to adjust my butt position in the seat, it snapped......so, just be
aware, that swivel joint is a weak point.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Humm, I wonder if leaving the back inch or so of the base without velcro would allow it a little give, or maybe some thin padding between the armrest and the base of the hinge. If you have the hinge set so that the base and the armrest are paralell you can see it's not actually closed. It's like 1/8th" open. Having it folded all the way down means the bottom of the armrest is only touching the outside edge of the base of the hinge, creating a sort of fulcrum. I can see how applying too much down-force to it past that fulcrum point would effectively create a lever acting against the hinge.

I think filling that gap between the armrest and hinge would reduce that fulcrum effect and increase durability. Hmmm....maybe some thin padding or a shim mde of plastic...I'll have to work on this. I think I can see what the design flaw is.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Here's a couple of bad extreme closeup shots to illustrate the point.

Here's armrest and hinge parallel to each other...
2012-06-13 19.26.32.jpg

And here's with the armrest fully closed.
2012-06-13 19.27.00.jpg

See what I mean? All the weight you exert on that armrest is coming down just on the single point of contact at the furthest forward edge of the hinge, creating a second pivot point, effectively turning it into a lever acting against the hinge. If you can keep the surfaces parallel (ie, by filling that gap with padding or a shim) it'll greatly reduce the leverage acting against the hinge.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I definitely need a center console arm rest with lots of storage for my iQ. I've tried searching for a solution but so far no luck. Any suggestions with photos would be appreciated.
Note that I said lots of storage.
Thanks,

·
Registered
540 Posts
Got my armrest today !
Man it came really fast.
Quality for the money.... Acceptable.
Heavy duty ? Not really, but it is a ARM REST.. With storage inside it !
Found out that if you take three 2x4s and cut them 10" long it fits in the center of it and will raise it the correct height ! The 2x4s will be standing on their edges.
Covered with black felt and Industrial strength Velcro installed. Little wobbly. But the only other way to mount would be to lower the fuel tank. And I don't want to do that !
As is, I can pull it up and put behind the seats if I need to haul 4 people....

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
But...if you have four people inside where will you pit the recently removed armrest? :p

I'm picturing someone having to hold it in their lap and ending up with it stuck to their sweater

just waiting for the felt to arrive

1 - 20 of 23 Posts