Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the cargo net anchors install? By pictures it looks like they screw into the spots at hatch where black plastic meets the grey, but the anchors screw is far too long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately you are correct, i am a parts salesman at a toyota dealership and have incountered this problem. The cure is to bring it back to the dealer you purchased it from and have them cut about 1/4 in off the screw then have them call toyota and tell them about the issue, i have done this once so far. They need a couple to redesign the screw. It needs to be longer but not as long as they made it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know how the cargo net anchors install? By pictures it looks like they screw into the spots at hatch where black plastic meets the grey, but the anchors screw is far too long.
Unfortunately it is a issue, i work in parts at a toyota/scion dealership and have encountered this problem, the screw needs to be longer but not as long as they made them. Take it back to the dealer and have them call toyota and make them aware of the issue, i have called once and emailed pictures but they need a few calls to redesign the screw. I cut about 1/3 of the length off and it worked perfect for the customer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually the directions on the bag tell you to drill a hole with a drill stop at the required depth (I wouldn't do it without it) You drill through two layers of sheet metal. You are told to use something like Locktite on the screws to keep them from backing out too(So far, haven't felt the need. My guess is if you cut it down in size it would be more likely to back out with time.

Unfortunately it is a issue, i work in parts at a toyota/scion dealership and have encountered this problem, the screw needs to be longer but not as long as they made them. Take it back to the dealer and have them call toyota and make them aware of the issue, i have called once and emailed pictures but they need a few calls to redesign the screw. I cut about 1/3 of the length off and it worked perfect for the customer.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What Triscele said.
Have your dealer (salesman) run you a copy of the installation instructions.
Long since past, but I did have them send me instructions and they were not for the long screws but the short.

Actually the directions on the bag tell you ........
There was nothing on my bag or the top paper card stapled to it that had any instructions. Got it from a Scion dealer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
They must have redone the paperwork, because I have instructions that say to drill holes in the walls. I didn't like the idea at first, but I did it, and it REALLY holds the screws in place.

I might have made the holes smaller than what it called for, but it screwed in, and toward the end, they were pretty difficult to screw anymore, so they aren't going anywhere.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My net arrived today and the note on the bag says to see your Toyota dealer for a copy of the installation instructions which are on the TIS. WTF? Nearest dealer is two our away. TIS wants me to pay for access. I'll try the European site for the instructions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You really don't need instructions. There are 6 round button looking things on the walls in the back, 2 on each side of the back seats and 2 close to the hatch. These are actually snap buttons. They will unsnap, if you can pry them off. I used my finger nails and they popped right off.

You will need to pop of the 2 snaps closest to the hatch. This will expose the screw head that you should unscrew. Once these 2 are out, screw your net hooks in.

If you have the short screw net hooks, you're all done. If you have the longer screws, you'll need to use a drill and make a small hole in the metal, through the holes that are already there, so the screw will have clearance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
corE,
Thanks for the info. Just finished installing the receiver trailer hitch on my iQ so will take a look at what you suggested tomorrow.
EDIT:
Install done

·
Registered
135 Posts
Now you need to find someone in the UK, who will sell you their cargo cover, and rig it to work with the net.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's the one. That would be around $55 plus shipping.

I got a HECK of a deal on mine, but the only other one on ebay at the time was $155 plus some rediculous shipping price, so I would say this one (in the link) is a decent deal.

(plus you know if it was available at the Toyota dealer, they would charge over $100 for it.)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Where does it hook up or snap up too ? Can't tell from the pictures.
Will it work on our Scion iQ cars ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does this picture help a little more?

It's the 6 snaps (3 on each side) in the rear walls.

The 2 nearest to the hatch are the ones that are taken out to install the net, so the snaps that were taken out have to be rigged to the net (if you want to do it the way I did).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Same pattern as the seats ?
The places where it snaps on, I presume are not on the car normally ! But no it seems that the snaps are already there. You just pop the covers off.
Now to find one in the USA !
The one I found won't ship to the USA.
Maybe there is a Toyota dealer in Canada or elsewhere that will sell and ship to us !

·
Registered
135 Posts
The pattern is a little darker than the seats, but the circles match REALLY well, and the material is pretty thick.

I'm sure something could be made at home, but this is Toyota brand, so it fits like it should.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts