Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I'm not sure you can even call the rear area a trunk, but I have found that no one can see down in the storage area when the door is closed. Are you talking about using the area as storage with the rear seats folded down? That would make things more visible.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
It's called a blue tarp. :p Every car should carry one just in case you have to get down on the ground when it's wet and nasty

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is called window tint.
I just got mine done on the rear and rear sides, and now you can't see what is inside...

·
Registered
42 Posts
You may be able to have a custom pull shade made for the back window that you could pull down when you have stuff in the back and your car is sitting in a parking lot or something. That wouldn't block the two small back windows, but it would go a long way toward more privacy, if that's your concern. I don't know of anything that you can buy outright, though. It would probably mean having a custom shop make you something or trying to DIY.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Or maybe a fabric piece you could mount on the inside of the window with suction cups? Kind of like those "baby on board" signs but across the whole window. Another option would be a folding sun shade, but you'd have to figure out a way to mount it because there wouldn't be any sun visors to hold it there like there are for when you want to put something like that across your dash.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Actually the U.K. version is available with a cover that goes behind the front seats. Whether you could get that here is an unknown.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I was thinking about making one to fit out of fabric and using velcro when the seets are down. When there up I'd just fold it up and put it away

·
Registered
230 Posts
The iQ tourneau cover - the install

This afternoon, I installed (if that is the word to use) my tourneau cover in our new iQ. Bought as part of a package of parts from a Japanese vendor, it came in the original Toyota packaging, complete with an instruction sheet that listed all of the parts in the bundle (three total), including the instruction sheet as part of the itemization.

(It took me a while to figure out what that oblong thing with the little rectangle in the upper left corner was on the sheet. I guess that you were to somehow figure out the itemization on your own if the sheet wasn't included. Of course, it didn't help that the sheet was in Japanese...)

Installation of this particular part was pretty simple. You figured out the correct orientation from the pictographs on the instruction sheet, turn the fabric cover so that the pattern of the cover matched the sheet, and then turned to the covers on the pre-installed snaps.

The attachment points are already installed in the back of the car, with silver-colored covers snapped over each one. Taking a padded screwdriver or similar device, you pry off the covers (which fly off in all directions, then crawl around in the car tracking them all down.

Now for the hard part. The cover is made of a stretch fabric, with a pattern to match that on the seats, with female snaps around its periphery. Three snaps a side, and the cover is installed - it's just that simple.

photo 1.jpg photo 4.jpg

The cover is flexible, except for two flat panels sewn into the rear edge. These form a turn-down that drops down into the cargo area. It is mounted high enough that the rear seat backs can be in the up position, yet will still be beneath the cover.

When I first saw one in use, I was worried that any seat reclining would require the frontmost snap on each side to be unfastened, but there is enough give in the fabric that it is not necessary. If you drop the passenger seat all of the way down, you will have to unsnap at least the first snap.

photo 3.jpg

The cover comes with a storage bag, along with meticulous instructions as to how to fold the cover for storage. I have read that 2013 Toyota iQs ship with the cover included, but as of last week there was no parts listing for this cover with the US Scion brand.

I've also read that there are those in Great Britain that are willing to part with their covers for less than I paid a Japanese firm. Either way, it provides a ready-made solution to the wide open spaces in the rear of your iQ.

·
Registered
540 Posts
$155 and & $88 to ship them.. I paid about $60 shipped from a England location for a used one. But actually never was installed.

Just run a search for them and you might get lucky. Not sure why you can't get them in the USA ?

I love mine, never really take it off, since I don't use the rear seats.

·
Registered
230 Posts
We've done the same with ours. It's not as spiffy as the roller blind one on our smart Passion​, but it does the job.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is there anyone here who has the cover that would be willing to trace a pattern on a large piece of paper and mark the snap fasteners for me? I would cover costs of the paper, mailing etc. If I had a good pattern I can just make my own.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
I agree flipper if you could get the pattern, and make them with the snaps on them just like the ones in the picture I'm sure a couple people on the forum may even buy them from you. I think making them out of black marine grade sumbrella fabric would be the best bet. If priced right I'd buy one.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
If they are made out of the same material as the one I had in my xB they tend to fade and sag after a while. If you are going to make your own, find some material that is stronger and will keep it's shape. Maybe some sort of canvas.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think I have some stock paper roll that I might be able to trace the pattern onto. If you are willing to pay for the postage to get it to you. PM me with your address and tell me on here if you want to do so.

·
Registered
281 Posts
So I've been working on making one of these in my spare time for a little while now, thanks to Spidious. I think I'll have a finished product by this weekend and I was just wondering if anybody on here is interested in me making one for them. I don't plan on making this a large scale operation, I do have a full-time job and a social life, but if you're willing to have a couple week turn-around on one I'd be willing to make them.

As far as the materials go, I'll be using vinyl type material and Dot brand snap fasteners. I just want to get a feeler out there so I know how much materials to buy and to see what people are willing to pay for a quality made cover. Rather than paying $243.00 for a cloth JDM one let me know what you guys think is fair for a quality made vinyl one. I do already have a price in mind that includes materials, labor and shipping to the lower 48 (canada and over seas might have to add a little for shipping). I just want to make sure its a number close to what you guys are willing to pay.

I am willing to do something more custom on a case by case basis. I am however, at the mercy of what my local fabric stores have on hand.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I might be interested, but I would need one that didn't have snaps at the back hatch. I have and use the cargo net and would need something that would work with it. Maybe loops or an elastic bungee type cord?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts