Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a truck owner for 30-some years . . . full size Chevy . . 4 wheel drive. Everyone knows my truck. So, for me to consider, decide and order this little car is SO out of my norm. Mid-Life crisis ?? Maybe, but with gas prices ever increasing it made perfect sense. I'm fun, and I wanted something fun, something different . . . TOTALLY different. I had been researching the Smart Car 4two for several years, but couldn't get past the not-so-terrific gas mileage and less then impressive value to cost ratio. Then one day a commercial came on TV. That did it. I loved the look, the benefits over the Smart Car, the MPG, the cost and that it came in solid Black ! I took one on a test drive and haven't been that nervous about anything in a long time. I was hooked, line and sinker. It took my dealer a little while to find a Black one, and I added the sway bar, lower springs, spoiler, wheels, front mat, cargo mat and net. It's perfect for me. I ride alone, and the groceries ride in the cargo area. I am vertically challenged and appreciate a hatchback that I can actually reach up to close. I average 38-40 mpg unless my husband drives it, and have over 3,700 miles to date (3 months), so it's getting lots of use.

Owning it has been interesting also: I've had people taking pictures of it on their cell phones, others asking to see inside it, lots of people giving me a thumbs up, one lady rolled her window down asking about it at each of 3 red lights as we traveled together down the road. I've made one guy miss his left turn light because he was staring at me. And I got a laugh from a cammed-up Corvette when I motioned that I'd race him off the light. It's been a blast and I have enjoyed each and every day I get to drive it. Glad to have found you guys. I'm the only IQ around my area. This will be refreshing to hear all of your stories, concerns and advice.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome and so glad you are enjoying your iQ!! I think it's probably safe to say that you are among the merry band of early adopters and that is a really special place to be. It's just adds to the fun.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
My iq is terrible n gas, could be the driver.i get 25 mpg.but i still love my IQ.welcome and congrats.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome to the fun!

I have yet to see another in 1500 miles...... I have the only one! HAHAHAAH

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nancy,
Welcome to the IQ forum. Glad you are enjoying the car so much. I get a lot of questions all the time too.
I still have my F350 but it does not get much use now.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Welcome Nancy !
I actually had a guy ask me why I set the alarm on my Buggy today, because he was going to steal it ! Go Figure.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. It took me awhile to settle into an average mpg because I was SO impressed with it's quickness I kept jumping off of lights to race the unsuspecting guy in the next lane. I have a good mix of down-town, hillside country and over 70mph travel that it always seems to amaze me with it's power. I just filled up last night and dropped down to 37.5 mpg due to my husband driving it for 110 miles on that tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks barnone for the welcome . . . . yes the trusty ol' Black Chevy step-side is being prepped for "show". She's in great condition for a 20 year old, with over 250,000 miles. Getting ready to put historic tags on her.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nancy. I have had "Julius" since the 14th of February this year. My gas mileage around town seems to have settled down to between 49 and 53. Great little car!!
Like you, I came to the IQ from a truck too.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome thecerkin ! If I were to name my iQ . . . . I currently call it "thelittlecar"; I would probably name it "Sheldon" . . . . brilliantly nerdy :) I'm from rolling hills, snowy winters, dairy and beef cattle farms (read that to be 4-wheel drive required). I got lots of laughs going from my full-size 4-wheel drive truck to the iQ. But my quirky personality fits the iQ, and now I'm the one laughing at the gas pumps topping out at $ 22.00 a fill up rather then $ 102.00. The savings in gas alone pays for the new car loan.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks barnone for the welcome . . . . yes the trusty ol' Black Chevy step-side is being prepped for "show". She's in great condition for a 20 year old, with over 250,000 miles. Getting ready to put historic tags on her.
Nancy,
You are welcome. You can get historic tags on a 20 year old vehicle in Maryland? That's great, we need 30 years in FL.

How about a photo of your Chevy?

My wife in our F350 ex HomeDepo rental truck that has a very handy dump kit.

Towing my IQ home from the dealer in SC.

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
I suspect there are a good many of us who are all smiles as we motor about in our iQs.

I've had a slew of small cars over the years....a Triumph Spitfire, an Austin Healey Sprite, a Geo Metro, and more recently an '03 and '07 MINI Cooper, then a Yaris. My iQ is super special because it is the smallest and engineering-wise the best of the lot! Yeah, I'm smilin'.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am vertically challenged and appreciate a hatchback that I can actually reach up to close. I average 38-40 mpg unless my husband drives it, and have over 3,700 miles to date (3 months), so it's getting lots of use.

Owning it has been interesting also: I've had people taking pictures of it on their cell phones, others asking to see inside it, lots of people giving me a thumbs up, one lady rolled her window down asking about it at each of 3 red lights as we traveled together down the road. I've made one guy miss his left turn light because he was staring at me. And I got a laugh from a cammed-up Corvette when I motioned that I'd race him off the light. It's been a blast and I have enjoyed each and every day I get to drive it. Glad to have found you guys. I'm the only IQ around my area. This will be refreshing to hear all of your stories, concerns and advice.
Hi Nancy, first of all Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your iQ purchase. People who own this car LOVE this car and have experienced the same interest in our cars that you have. It's nice to be able to show our pride in our cars and educate others. :)

Second, you mentioned you are vertically challenged and I noticed, in another thread, that you drive a Harley - did I read that right? If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I am also vertically challenged and have been riding on the back of hubby's bike for the past few years. I have been thinking of getting my bike license and a bike of my own but I haven't been having much luck trying bikes on for size. Hubby mentioned that I may need to start out with a Honda Shadow 750 as it's already kind of low but can be lowered another 3 inches with a kit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's so impressive! I WISH I could get numbers like that but apparently I drive like a madwoman. LOL
Maggie,
I must drive like a madwoman too because the best I can do is 39-40 MPG (US gallon).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maggie,
I must drive like a madwoman too because the best I can do is 39-40 MPG (US gallon).
That's even impressive! My best (and it's only because I was trying to get good numbers by driving slower, avoiding jack rabbit starts, mindfully keeping the ECO light on...) was 33 MPG. :(

·
Registered
985 Posts
I confess, even after coming from a long line of small cars, I still get a big chuckle out of turning around in my driver's seat and being able to almost touch the back glass of my iQ. If I wasn't so decrepid and creaky, I would be able to touch it!!

The back seats also leave me laughing...I use them (as needed) in almost every imaginable combination all the time. I have never used all of a car, all the time, but I do with the iQ.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's even impressive! My best (and it's only because I was trying to get good numbers by driving slower, avoiding jack rabbit starts, mindfully keeping the ECO light on...) was 33 MPG. :(
Maggie,
Actually my 39-40 MPG average is here in the mountains where there is almost no traffic so when I return to the city in the winter I will probably drop down to where you are MPG wise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts