Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know OPRAH would yell at me for this, but when my car is in motion I can't put a phone number in the Premium head unit. It only gives me access to the speed dial numbers and nothing else. When I come to a complete stop the keypad re-illuminates and allows me access to dial a number. Am I doing something wrong ? Seems to me it would be safer dialing from the head unit than my cell phone while driving. The manual dosen't say anything about this and i'm wondering if something is wrong with the unit ? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Hey dugger,i do not have the upgraded head unit,BUT,if i were to have to guess,i would absolutely think its a safety feature,im not very educated and not a gambler,but,my educated guess is its functioning fine,id bet on it,lol.OPRAH!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Dugger. Give this a try. I have no idea if it will work for you or not...

Get in the iQ.
Place the key in the ignition.
Turn the key to the "on" position.
Turn the headlights on and off five times.
Turn the ignition off.
Remove the key from the ignition.

Try and see if you can use the phone function while driving. If this didn't work I have another more difficult solution for you.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Dugger. Give this a try. I have no idea if it will work for you or not...

Get in the iQ.
Place the key in the ignition.
Turn the key to the "on" position.
Turn the headlights on and off five times.
Turn the ignition off.
Remove the key from the ignition.

Try and see if you can use the phone function while driving. If this didn't work I have another more difficult solution for you.
WOW SCL,this almost seems like a trick,i dont know you that well,but ive seen a few of your antics before,lol.i allmost hope it doesnt work,sorry dugger,just to see your next set of instructions,HA HA.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohhhhhhhh Man.......It didn't work ! How about that more difficult solution ? Please be sure to spell it out in simple terms for me, please.......Dugger

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Mr. iqforyou,
I guess my question was worded in a stupid way. I purchased the upgraded head unit because the touch screen is easy to use and see. I don't like the fact that I can't use it when I'm driving. For $479 I thought I could leave the cell phone in my pocket. I was hoping that there was a programing solution someone might know about. I'm surely going to raise a bit of Hell with the dealer because if I can't use what I paid for why have it ? Dugger.................

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Buddy ! It bugs me that for the extra cost of the upgrade your not informed that you can't use it at your convenice.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Sorry that didn't work. Here is the more complicated approach...

Your head unit is different but the procedure should be the same...

Pull the center piece towards you, pull hard there are no screws...

Remove the connectors at the rear...

Grab at the back of the top cover and pull up and towards you, again, no screws...

Next remove the four 10mm bolts that hold the head unit in place...

Next locate the blue wire I have pointed out in the picture...

And being careful to not cut any other wires, snip the blue wire...

Reassembly is the opposite of removal. I hope this works for you and be careful while you work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry that didn't work. Here is the more complicated approach...

Your head unit is different but the procedure should be the same...

Pull the center piece towards you, pull hard there are no screws...

Remove the connectors at the rear...

Grab at the back of the top cover and pull up and towards you, again, no screws...

Next remove the four 10mm bolts that hold the head unit in place...

Next locate the blue wire I have pointed out in the picture...

And being careful to not cut any other wires, snip the blue wire...

Reassembly is the opposite of removal. I hope this works for you and be careful while you work.
By any chance you don't know which are the colours or wiring that are coming from the steering controls eh, please? I have a new headunit that accepts them but don't know which ones to cut from the IQ wiring part

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
According to the Axxess adapter instructions, Pin 8 and Pin 6 of the wire harness are the two wires for the steering wheel controller. You will most likely need an adapter to make the SWC active again.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Is it shown on any pictures above as I couldn't find them
I don't have any pictures of the pin connections or an adapter since I used the Toyota / Scion head unit. There was no loss of steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the premium unit is there a video in? I've always been curious but didn't know how easy it was until today to take the radio out.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
On the premium unit is there a video in? I've always been curious but didn't know how easy it was until today to take the radio out.
There is a video in. On the unit shown above the video in is installed under the passenger seat. There is also a back up camera input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts