Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went up a fairly substancial mountain hill the other day to pick up one of my little ones,i had my other little one in the car for the trip up,only about an 8 minute climb,when i reached my destination and my kid was jumpin in the back,she said she smelt a bad burnt rubber smell,which i did not for the fact that i am suffering from influenza.does anyone have any ideas where this may have been coming from,im hoping it is just burning off some of its newness,or can it be the transmision,i may bring it up at the dealer next time im in.im really enjoying the little thing.:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Could it be the brakes? After a climb like that I would think you'd start to even out and travel downwards.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
couldnt be the brakes,they were not used at all on the way up,and thats when she smelt it,on the ay down I used the nifty B feature,i found it to really b a low gear cuz it kept my speed going down,allmost painfuly slow,and loud,if I gave it gas it climbs in rpm veryrapidly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmm, hope the burnt rubber is just one of those things that will go away after the first few hundred miles. Speaking of the first few hundred miles, the break-in period states not overrevving the engine (including engine braking). So go easy on the B feature if you're still in that period.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about that issue. If the problem continues, consider going to the dealership. If I had to say what it was, brakes would be it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depending on how steep the hill was, the transmission fluid may have gotten pretty hot. Smell the transmission fluid dipstick to check for burnt fluid.

Another possibility is that the catalytic converter got really hot. That shouldn't happen if your fuel mixture is good but it will happen if the mixture is rich.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts