1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Two points....you have to order at least 20 to get the $93 price for each, and, the
way its designed with that skinny plastic pivot point, it'll crack and break there just
like the others that are designed that way when you put a little down pressure on
it....I know this by experience. I'd pass on this one.
I'm in the process of trying another console/armrest that doesn't have that small
pivot point. I should receive it sometime in the next couple weeks, I already have
the solid base to secure it to mounted in my car.....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you not read my post saying that I would like to get a sample to check the quality?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes, I did read that....I'm telling you, the quality of a $93 console will break at that pivot point,
I'm just trying to save you the hassle.....you need to stay away from that skinny pivot point in
this price range......but do what you want.

I will have to say though, they do offer a 2yr warranty with the product so the possibility
does exist that this one could be better made which makes my concerns possibly less
valid?? Check out this UK eBay link for complete pictures:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=260983707382&si=%2FKBsVd9Ol2fls0roEsUPUWzbVSI%3D&viewitem=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Notice that the selling price for this single unit was $160...which I would pay to buy
if its quality. At that price, this could very well be decent quality, and its made specifically
for our IQ's...but now, I'm just not sure that this company is still in business? I hope you
prove me wrong, we certainly need a source for a quality console....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree with the breakage.....look how much leverage you will have over the base mount........SNAP...........Hope it works out......

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've been searching for a arm rest/console for my IQ and found this one at
Botec Design Armrest - Toyota Iq - Buy Armrest Product on Alibaba.com
Dirk Floor - Armrests, Armrest, Car accessories

I've sent an email to the supplier asking for a price for a sample delivered to the US.
If I can get a sample and it is decent quality maybe we can do a group buy if there is
enough interest. Would one of our advertisers like to do the wholesale buy and handle
the retail distribution?
As you can see, I think that maybe BARNONE has bumped in to something here in our
hunt for a quality console for our iQ's..... I took his search a little farther and happened
to find an expired listing on eBay Australia.....it shows several pictures of this console
that is made specifically for our iQ's, it's NOT a universal application. Anyway, I am
including the link to the eBay listing so you can see the all the pictures, and that it has
a price of $160....which is not bad since its made specifically for our cars. The only
question is if this company, BOTEC DESIGNS, is still in business as I could find no other
listings anywhere to be able to buy them individually for the $160 or any other price??
The following listing is the ONLY ONE I found, check it out:
Black Leather Armrest for Toyota IQ (2009-2012) | eBay

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Search Continues for the Botec Design Armrest - Toyota IQ

mistergib,
The search continues.

I received the message below from Dirk Floor regarding my inquiry about purchasing a sample of the armrest for testing. So I sent an inquiry to Hawkinson Nissan about availability.

I'm thinking that if we could get our hands on one of these armrests for the IQ and feel that it is good quality then one of our advertisers could make a wholesale volume purchase from the source in China and retail them to our members and other IQ owners.

If we have a member of this forum in the Chicago area, maybe they could make a visit to the dealer to inquire about this armrest.
Chicago Nissan Dealer | New Nissan Cars | Certified Used Cars | Hawkinson Nissan - 888.755.6379

"Dear Vincent Santamaria,
Dear Vincent Santamaria,
When you are interested in purchasing one armrest we would like recommend Hawkinson Nissan, Chicago. Hawkison Nissan sells our products in America.
www.hawkinsonnissan.com/

Kind regards,
Dirk Floor"

·
Registered
135 Posts
Keep in mind that if there is an armrest for a TOYOTA iQ, it will more than likely be a mirror of what we need for our SCIONS.

The iQs in Japan are right hand drive, so the curve on the rear of the console doesn't curve the same way as ours.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Keep in mind that if there is an armrest for a TOYOTA iQ, it will more than likely be a mirror of what we need for our SCIONS.

The iQs in Japan are right hand drive, so the curve on the rear of the console doesn't curve the same way as ours.

Right hand drive console shows the parking brake on the same side as the left hand drive IQ so the console appears to be the same.
Maybe one of our Australian members could clarify?

Also the supplier for the armrest is in the Netherlands where autos are left hand drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
I also got a email back from Dirk Floor stating that the least amount he would sell/ship was 4, but
he did not state what the price would be at that quanity? He mentioned nothing to me about the
Chicago Nissan dealership though. I'll keep looking and you keep us updated on your search also.
The pics on that expired ebay listing sure made it look like a decent console.....

·
Registered
135 Posts

Right hand drive console shows the parking brake on the same side as the left hand drive IQ so the console appears to be the same.
Maybe one of our Australian members could clarify?

Also the supplier for the armrest is in the Netherlands where autos are left hand drive.
HMMMMM. That's interesting. I emailed the seller of that expired listing and he confirmed that the angle of the console would not match the angle of the Scions.

I have to go look at my car real quick, and see what it looks like, because now it's bugging me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well,,, that console will work. the angle will match up.

If that seller wouldn't have told me that it is mirrored, I might have bought one by now. I love when these sellers know NOTHING about their product.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well,,, that console will work. the angle will match up.
If that seller wouldn't have told me that it is mirrored, I might have bought one by now. I love when these sellers know NOTHING about their product.
Maybe you mis-understood?? When people tell me that something is the mirror image of
something...to me, that means that the two are identical. Anyway, where would you be
able to buy one and for how much?

·
Registered
135 Posts
My only gripes then, would be that they should have made some sort of storage in the lower part, and the the price.

They say "We do not sell universal armrests.", but for 3 times the price, it should be more impressive. I'm not trying to complain. Maybe the lack of armrest is throwing my spine out of line, and making me cranky. :mad:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe you mis-understood?? When people tell me that something is the mirror image of
something...to me, that means that the two are identical. Anyway, where would you be
able to buy one and for how much?
I made sure that he actually meant that the angle would be the exact opposite, and I was releaved that I didn't make the mistake of buying it, since it "wasn't going to fit".

I wonder if that exact one would become available again on ebay. I will message the seller and find out.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My only gripes then, would be that they should have made some sort of storage in the lower part, and the the price.
They say "We do not sell universal armrests.", but for 3 times the price, it should be more impressive. I'm not trying to complain. Maybe the lack of armrest is throwing my spine out of line, and making me cranky. :mad:
Are you sure?? From the pictures, it looks like there might be some "open storage" underneath
the console compartment?? I just looked again, and there is some small open storage there...

·
Registered
989 Posts
I made sure that he actually meant that the angle would be the exact opposite, and I was releaved that I didn't make the mistake of buying it, since it "wasn't going to fit".
I wonder if that exact one would become available again on ebay. I will message the seller and find out.
Also, I just went and re-looked at the picture of the base that was on eBay and the angle is
definitely the same as our consoles here in the USA.....so for sure, it would fit fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, there is a tray in the front, but the base is just a block.

If it wasn't $160, I would think about hollowing it out for secret storage.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hear ya.

I just wonder if an armrest from another car would fit and look like it's supposed to be there???

I had a 91 Civic, and a 99 Integra console snugged right up to the dash, and looked factory.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts