Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another thing on my list of shallow and ultimately pointless cosmetic mods in store for the car once I take delivery...

As you may know, I'm making this car into my rolling incarnation of the Autobot named Cliffjumper...because I am a huge nerd.

Autobots have blue eyes.

I want Cliffjumper's 'eyes' to be blue.

I don't know a lot about cars and less about ricing the shit out of them, but I gather there are a few options available.

1: HID headlights...I believe those are the expensive blue headlights you see on luxury cars these days. How expensive are they? Do they require special modification/are they compatible with the car?

2: Blue headlight bulbs...I gather that these are a real thing, and I'd imagine they're probably both relatively inexpensive and simply install in place of stock bulbs, yeah? What type of bulb does the iQ take and are they easy to find in blue? Are they legal, and do they look retarded?

3: 'Angel eyes'...I know virtually nothing about them except that they look cool. What are they? Are they expensive? Are they available for the iQ and/or easy to install?

4: Maybe some kind of blue tint for the headlight glass itself? This one is just me guessing. Is that a thing? Is it stupid?

Anyone know anything about any of these things? Are there other options I missed? Pros and cons?

I don't really care about the performance much...I mean, brighter headlights is always a plus, but it's not my goal. That said, I don't want anything that's going to be unsafe or dangerously dim.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
AND WHEN DO YOU PLAN ON GETTING THIS CAR,HAVE YOU ORDERD IT,are you waiting for it? YOU NEED IT.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may still be a little while. I'm waiting to hear back about red paint from the factory, and I want the bonus I'm getting at the end of the month to be in the bank...but soon. And hell yes, I need it!

We wants it, Precious!

But for now I'm killing time/feeding my obsession/torturing myself by lining up all the crazy pointless shit I want done to it now so when I get it I can get to work putting myself deeper into debt just so my ridiculous little car can look slightly more ridiculous than everyone else's

·
Registered
117 Posts
If they do not introduce the Series 1 model soon, there will not be one for MY2012. If they do, I am almost certain it will be red. The color code for Japan and Europe is 3P0, Chili Red. I would like to see a RS model with the Plum interior trim and Plum leather.

As for the headlights, HID's can be done rather easily but you are not going to get a great light pattern as the housings are not designed for them. Blue headlight bulbs are out there and have a short lifespan and reduced light output. Blue film is most likely illegal. Angel eyes are available but will require you to disassemble the headlight unit. This usually means removing it from the car, baking it in the oven to loosen the glue and then prying it apart. Wire in the angel eyes and use clear silicone to put the light fixture back together. Since it seems they do not offer real HID's from the factory, you will have to decide on an option.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frell! I just looked up washington state laws on vehicle lighting:

Blue bulbs: illegal
Blue/any tint: illegal
HID 'kits': illegal (because of some federal crap that says it's impossible to actually convert a standard fixture to hid) a total replacement might work if I can certify all the electrical is correct.
Anything that alters the headlight color to anything but white: illegal

Someone on another forum mentioned 'underglow' was out too, which I guess might mean angel eyes? Not really sure what that meant.

The main reason listed is that it's 'distracting' to drivers. You basically can't display any nonessential/unconventional lighting on the road.

Mmm...maybe I can find a way to make the eyes on his front badge light up.

This is depressing.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
HA HA.you kill me, transformers, you quated Lord of the rings, little dude, cant recall his name and FRELL,farscape.ha ha.lol.i love sci fi and fantasy aswell.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
If they do not introduce the Series 1 model soon, there will not be one for MY2012. If they do, I am almost certain it will be red. The color code for Japan and Europe is 3P0, Chili Red. I would like to see a RS model with the Plum interior trim and Plum leather.

As for the headlights, HID's can be done rather easily but you are not going to get a great light pattern as the housings are not designed for them. Blue headlight bulbs are out there and have a short lifespan and reduced light output. Blue film is most likely illegal. Angel eyes are available but will require you to disassemble the headlight unit. This usually means removing it from the car, baking it in the oven to loosen the glue and then prying it apart. Wire in the angel eyes and use clear silicone to put the light fixture back together. Since it seems they do not offer real HID's from the factory, you will have to decide on an option.

Good information except the part about the HID not having a good pattern. I have 6k HID's installed on my iQ and the pattern is just fine. I have no loss of spread at all.

Although many states consider HID lights to be illegal unless factory equipped, having them in alignment and not going with a 12k set you should be able to run them without fear of being pulled over. If you use a set of 8k HID lights you will have the blue tint, but not the annoying blue that is almost a purple.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HA HA.you kill me, transformers, you quated Lord of the rings, little dude, cant recall his name and FRELL,farscape.ha ha.lol.i love sci fi and fantasy aswell.
Gollum.
And as I said, huge nerd ;-)

Good information except the part about the HID not having a good pattern. I have 6k HID's installed on my iQ and the pattern is just fine. I have no loss of spread at all.

Although many states consider HID lights to be illegal unless factory equipped, having them in alignment and not going with a 12k set you should be able to run them without fear of being pulled over. If you use a set of 8k HID lights you will have the blue tint, but not the annoying blue that is almost a purple.
Hmm...it's a possibility. Still, I'd hate to get a ticket and have to pull the damned things out again just because the Washington state legislature hates cool things.

Angel eyes seem like a possibility. I'm guessing at night the main light overpowers them so they wouldn't be easily spotted if they are illegal...but man, seems like a huge pain in the ass to install...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Gollum.
And as I said, huge nerd ;-)

Hmm...it's a possibility. Still, I'd hate to get a ticket and have to pull the damned things out again just because the Washington state legislature hates cool things.

Angel eyes seem like a possibility. I'm guessing at night the main light overpowers them so they wouldn't be easily spotted if they are illegal...but man, seems like a huge pain in the ass to install...
PITA is an understatement. The process requires baking the headlight to soften the connective goo and then heating them again to reassemble. Many of us did it to our xB's and many found that they never sealed correctly allowing moisture to seep in.

There is a guy in Japan who will do it for $500 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pass. Even if it didn't mean going without headlights for god only knows how long, that't quite an outlay of funds just for something to look pretty. <sighs> ah well...maybe I can outline the headlights in EL wire, would that look cool?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Or you could try something like this...

LED strips.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very slick! I like it. Where'd you get them, and were they difficult to install?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
The are mounted on the outer edge of the headlights. I got them from O-NEX.com

They were simple to install, double stick tape on the back of the strip. I wired them to the parking / running lights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those lights don't last very long here on the east coast. especially if they have a bend. I have to replace mine on the lower lip of my xB every spring. They come apart at the ends and then water gets in there and they're done. if I was going to do them I would do them on the inside of the light housing.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how often have you had to change yours out, TAZ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts