Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, let me start at the beginning.
I bought this 2012 Scion iQ for $3500 in non-running condition. I had the local Toyota dealer fix it. They said the spark plugs were fouled and the fuel system needed cleaning. Ran fine after that until it got cold last winter. In the cold weather it would consume antifreeze. That's when I noticed the excessive blowby when I remove the oil cap. Ok I figured, blowby + coolant loss = head gasket. I replaced the head gasket this spring, so far the coolant loss is 0, but I still have excessive blowby. That brings us up to where I am today.
I'm thinking excessive blowby is likely a PCV system problem. I've tried to acquire a new PCV valve, but it's not that easy! Dealer is 2 months out, RockAuto is perpetually out of stock. For the record, the PVC valve still rattles and seems to work fine, but it's original so it's probably time anyway.
Do I have any other options for replacing the PCV valve? Mann Provent? I drive the car in -40 in the winter and I'm concerned about a Provent freezing.
Is there anything I'm missing here? Another solution to the blowby that I haven't though of yet?

· Registered
250 Posts
bad piston rings, valve guides/stems....

Hello, let me start at the beginning.
I bought this 2012 Scion iQ for $3500 in non-running condition. I had the local Toyota dealer fix it. They said the spark plugs were fouled and the fuel system needed cleaning. Ran fine after that until it got cold last winter. In the cold weather it would consume antifreeze. That's when I noticed the excessive blowby when I remove the oil cap. Ok I figured, blowby + coolant loss = head gasket. I replaced the head gasket this spring, so far the coolant loss is 0, but I still have excessive blowby. That brings us up to where I am today.
I'm thinking excessive blowby is likely a PCV system problem. I've tried to acquire a new PCV valve, but it's not that easy! Dealer is 2 months out, RockAuto is perpetually out of stock. For the record, the PVC valve still rattles and seems to work fine, but it's original so it's probably time anyway.
Do I have any other options for replacing the PCV valve? Mann Provent? I drive the car in -40 in the winter and I'm concerned about a Provent freezing.
Is there anything I'm missing here? Another solution to the blowby that I haven't though of yet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts