Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iQ has a big drop in RPM at 10 MPH when it slows to a stop. This makes for a somewhat jerky stop with the brakes. I drive the streets on my daily commute so this makes slowing down for every stoplight a pain. Is this normal for CVT? My MPG is only 30 and I'm wondering if the RPM is too high.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have not noticed this behavior when slowing down, sounds like a vacuum or air leak maybe? I have noticed that once you are stopped ther is a little surge in RPM that can inch you forwards if you aren't firmly on the brake.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
i think we may all realize,which i allready do,that this car may not be the gas sipper people may have thought,sure the ratings are 37mpg,IN PERFECT CONDITIONS,well i am yet to find perfect conditions,and believe i never will,but like i said before i did not buy this car for its mpg capabilities.i read an article a while back about a BRAKE test and the iq,and it never achieved consistent breaking due mostly to the cvt,tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I do notice a little bit of your observation at stops. I don't know anyone else who has had a CVT so I don't know if it's normal but I'm assuming so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i notice it too.. as a matter of fact I got that new "snpshot" by progessive to see if I can lower my insurance cost. one thing it looks at is breaking.. supposedly a 7mph drop in 1 sec is considered hard braking and counts against you. but with that drop I drop speed too fast and the thing beeps at me!!! very annoying.. oh well...

·
Registered
38 Posts
i don't notice any of the mentioned problem at all, might be mine is the newer year model(2014) which Toyota had already ironed out all the wrinkles... considering trading in for a newer model? I owned more that 50 (yes 50) cars, 95 % of them were brand new, my wife almost divorce me a few times. I told her it is better to change car than changing wife. (every time after we had a BIG argument, I went out to change my car =for a new one) I would drove my car away and come home 1/2 hour later with a brand new car. I am NOT a millionaire but I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't gamble and I don't have any other woman besides my wife. Sometimes I do 3 jobs to support my hobby. One got to have some hobby...and I got a very expensive hobby (i like driving). Oh. I also like Kung Fu as well.
Having said that, I just want to point out one thing, out of all the 50+ cars I owned in my life, the 2014 iQ 10 is the best, the most fun, most practical most cue car I have ever owned. I love my new baby. I bought it also because of it's exterior size being small but being the only passenger, the car is BIG enough and I don't have to drive the bigger car with only one person inside and wasting gas and parking space. I also owning the Suzuki SX4 (2011 model bought in 2012= the best smallest SUV at time=top of line model). I worked very hard to support my hobby, I never borrow money, never owe money and only make money out of my skill=teaching Ku Fu and House Renovation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also notice a drop in RPM at 10 MPH when it slows to a stop. Mine is a 2014, I have heard others say the same thing, I think it is how the IQ works, I still love my IQ :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do not pay attention to rpm's when I am driving with automatic transmission, but have not noticed any jerkiness when stopping.
As for gas mileage, I consistently get about 36 mpg in the city, and just did a highway trip in which I got 40.5 mpg.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Of all the CVTs I've owned, I've noticed that the RPMs do drop pretty quickly when going from 10-15mph to zero mph, however, I don't notice much of a jerkiness when it happens. I do notice a jerkiness when i'm going slow, like 10-15mph and coasting, and then give some gas, but that also seems to be normal for CVTs.

I've been told by multiple knowledgeable people that it's related to the torque converter, and it's normal. I honestly have no clue what a torque converter is, but I've heard it from multiple people across multiple cars with CVTs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you coast to a stop the transmission will dis-engage from the engine around 7-10mph under deceleration. It's similar to pressing the clutch in on a manual car. When this happens it "releases" the engine from the driveline and allows you to coast a bit further. It also takes away the engine braking effect and if you don't adjust the pressure on the brake pedal you may feel a slight jerk. At this same moment that the engine releases you'll notice the RPM drop to a idle same as if you put the car in Neutral.

Next time you have a chance with no traffic ahead, try to let the car coast to a stop without touching the brake pedal and pay attention for the moment that the transmission dis-engages from the engine. You should feel the car "release" and it feels like the car is speeding up for a split second before it starts slowing down again. Many times if I don't have traffic up ahead I'll let the car coast up until this point and only apply the brakes after it's released, this way I don't have to apply as much force to the brakes and I can come to a very consistent smooth stop without jerking.

·
Registered
197 Posts
if anyone drive through or by san francisco, good luck getting mpg over 20. I have been driving around downtown sf and stop lights drop my mpg to 19. Very disappointed in san francisco. No wonder 70% drive prius here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts