Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey
just wondering if anyone knows which intake is the best?
weapon r? injen? ect.
ive searched around and can not find a comparison
ive only found one dyno too
any with proven results?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well since i wasnt able to get any pointers here once again
I dug dug dug down deep and found some numbers
injen Up to 5.48 HP and 5.99 ft.lbs TQ Gain.
weapon r
HP GAINS: 4HP/5TRQ
dc sports is about 3 for both

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice, I did see that but I couldnt find any actual print outs from the other intakes
the numbers I posted were manufacturer claims

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the InJen, it sure did make the car seem to breathe better, sounds good, over all drivability is better. And it looks pretty good too! Mine is the black version, quality seems to be very good.

John

·
Registered
989 Posts
well given those numbers - why would you bother?
What you are not thinking about is that the 5 1/2 hp and the 6 ft.lbs. of torque gains are
measured at the front wheels, not at the crank.....so, on a 2100 lb. car, that would be
a pretty nice improvement....I'd take it for sure. Those numbers would have been
higher had they been measured just at the crank.
I will say that those numbers were probably gained using the "long ram", thus having
the filter down in the cooler air which creates more hp.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the information - I now know what to get iif TRD doesn't choose to move.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Those HP/torque gains seem to happen at high RPM so they would not be helpful to me. I don't rev any of my vehicles to red line.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So what about water getting into the intake if it is a long ram version? 5hp/tq sounds great, but at the risk of getting water in the engine? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
989 Posts
If where the filter would be located would be prone to water, you could use a breathable
cover for the filter...or use the short ram version and be safe. Right now, we don't even
know the exact location of the filter with the long ram option to determine if water would
be a problem? I've been trying to find that out before I purchase, no luck so far.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well I bit.....I ordered the black SP Series with the short and long ram option. I figure
if the mounting of the long ram option would be too prone to water, then I could always
use the short ram option....wasn't but about $15 difference in price from the short ram
only CAI. I paid $241.50 shipped.....so I will let y'all know what I think.

·
Registered
98 Posts
240 bucks is 60 gallons even at today's prices and that equates to 2200 miles of free motring to me. Call me boring but I'll take the 2200 miles over the shiny/black tube.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im glad to see this thread finally got moving;)

I find it relaxing and interesting to tinker with my cars

im all about the better airflow
and I like the ponies no mater how small
the filters on them are easy to clean too
and it beats having to pay to have them replaced when I can do it myself
there are many advantages
and better breathing is never a bad thing

you know lexus charges about 40 bucks just to pop out your cabin filter

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone of us should be able to clean or change out our OEM filters. If not get a friend to show you how, this is not rocket science and should not be a reason to modify your air filter system.

Better breathing is not a good thing if the air is not being filtered properly. Make sure that the after the market filter system you are installing is actually a good air filter. I am not sure how you can be sure that the air filter is removing the dirt that the better breathing might allow to enter your engine. I guess time will tell if you are damaging your engine with the after market filter. Could be very expensive engine damage.

Also take with a grain of salt the gains in HP and torque that the after market filter manufactures claim.

Also don't confuse more noise with higher performance.

·
Registered
989 Posts
What has a CAI have to do with whether or not you change or clean your air filters? I have been fixing
up my cars probably since before you could drive or maybe were even born. You still have to clean/change the flter on a cai system as you would with the oem filter .
A "quality" aftermarket intake system WORKS! Injen is one of those quality aftermarket systems and they
come with quality filters, but you still have to keep them clean. The hp and torque claims of this Injen
system compares accurately and in proper proportion with the size of our motor, especially given the stock
size of our oem intakes.
You seem to have a bias against having a cai system, and thats ok, you have a right to your opinion, and
you are accurate when you state that noise doesn't mean power....but if properly maintained and barring
submerging your car in water, a quality cai with quality filter will NOT shorten the life of your motor........
thats the facts. Otherwise, why would Toyota, (TRD), offer these systems without jeopardizing the warranty
in any way?
Again, this is MY opinion thru many years of cars and experience, take it for what its worth....or not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts