Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, given that few of us even see another iQ in public, nevermind jump from one iQ into another, this thread will probably be one for the dust bin....but here goes anyway.

I am currently driving an iQ loaner car (I consider myself quite fortunate given my general luck with loaner cars). My iQ is in the shop having TRD lowering springs installed. Now, my iQ already has a TRD sway bar and lighter, aftermarket wheels. The loaner car has a stock suspension setup and steel wheels. Getting out of one car and into the other was a bit of a jolt, at least initially.

There were no real surprises...each added component of my car did exactly what it was intended to do and what one might expect from it. The loaner sways and meanders more, mainly in straight-line swerving...yet somehow under harder cornering the supension kicks-in well before anything gets scary. Having driven the car for the morning, I think I have adjusted to it and the stock setup seems fine for everyday motoring. The rear sway bar kit does add quite a bit of stability, but to me it seems simply a matter of preference. It the rear swaybar worth it? Certainly. Would I be happy without? Sure.

Lighter wheels make a bit difference too. Driving with the steel wheels is just fine....they are perfectly serviceable and sturdy. The lighter wheels make the car feel lively, nimble, eager. If that's your thing, super (it is mine), but for everyday running about steelies work fine.

So I'll drive around a bit more on the stock setup, but later today I get my iQ back with the TRD sway bar, light wheels and the new TRD springs. We'll see what that feels like back-to-back.

It's a unique opportunity so I an reporting-out as requested. I did not put this in the wheel/suspension forum in case somebody might have some engine-related or other back-to-back experiences.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got m'car back! Well, it definitely is lower...we had the two cars (loaner and mine) parked side-by-side in the service drive-thru, eyeing the difference. On the road I felt no roughness at all, but I'll have to drive it over the weekend to see if I notice any changes. I suspect these will be subtle, as seems the case with most of the TRD bits. That's good since I want/need to keep this car very driveable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
An excellent comparison testing. I did something similar before purchasing my IQ. After testing the basic all factory stock version I ordered mine with a few modifications ... with one exception to what you have done: I did not install the lowering springs. That was for two reasons - 1) surprise, sneak potholes and 2) snow.
The results have been nothing short of spectacular. Zipping around a 90* corner at 25+ MPH has a tendency to cause jaws to drop ... and the guy behind you has to slow way down as he can't do the same maneuver ... unless of course he's driving a Lotus ;-))

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Zipping around a 90* corner at 25+ MPH has a tendency to cause jaws to drop
Yes, there is goodness in that!!!

You're right, although snow is something we seldom have here in DFW (and even then very little), this has come up in other threads as a concern. I'm sure we'll get some reports from the north country this winter.

And fortunately our potholes are as mild as our winters, but we do have some pretty crazy-dippy intersections scattered about. I am now in the process of putting those through a trail run. I confess I am being a bit timid, but no scraping yet. Frankly, I am surprised by this, but pleasantly so.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been surprised at how well the lowering springs are performing, and I know now that this is probably due to the technical specs of the TRD set, noted in another thread here devoted to the product. I really expected to have to watch certain dips for scraping up front but this is not a problem due to the increased spring rate. Because no modification I have is way out there the car, both before and after, remains driveable and fun. With the added suspension bits (and light 16" wheels) the car's handling rivals the MINI Cooper, and if that is your thing I'd consider adding these components at time of purchase and save some money. However, if one is getting groceries or commuting around town (as a proper city car should rightly do), the iQ is perfectly serviceable in it's stock configuration, I feel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@gokartride , now that you have had the springs for a few days , how are you feeling about them . Compared to your original setup with just the sway bar , is the difference dramatic ? Have you rubbed or bottomed out at all ? My main concern is clearance for snow but if the handling is improved greatly then maybe it's well worth it , also impressions of the ride over bad roads ? Thanks for any info you can relate to help me make the decision when the time arrives .

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snow is an interesting topic because the car does sit quite a bit lower from an undercarriage perspective. Trouble is, we have little or no snow here and I really have no direct experience with road conditions of a hard winter.

That said...I love the lowering springs, not as much for the looks (which is nice) but moreso for the enhancement to how the car corners. It is subtle, unobtrusive...but a well-designed, quality enhancement. Even moreso in that I am not having any problems whatsoever with scraping. I am a bit shocked by this, but I think it speaks well of the comprehensive iQ-specific design of the kit.

Using my vivid imagination though, I think there might be justifiable cause for concern with snow. If it were me I might wait to see how those with lowering springs installed fare this winter....that would certainly make sense.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks , Maybe it is a good idea to wait and see how others do in snow . I can always add springs later on as you did . I'll probably just go with the sway bar for the time being .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts