Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My attempt to do an Auxiliary Brake Lights install write up.

Parts: V-LEDS.COM | LED Dome, Map, License Plate, Reverse, DRL, Turn Signal, Brake Lights
(2) RED ROUND STRIP LIGHT STRIPLIGHT 3 CHIP 12 LED STRIP_RL_12_R
(2) DIY-2 EXTENSION WIRE 48 INCH DIY2_WIRE_48
(1) DIY-2 LED MULTI BOARD Y-ADAPTER DAISY CHAIN DIY2_Y_ADAPT
Oven
Super Glue
Silicone
10 mm socket
Drill

Install: Jack up vehicle and block the front wheels Remove the 4 clips and the rear bumper side seal, both sides.

Remove bolt from reflector with 10mm socket, both sides

Now the fun part boil reflectors for 15 minutes in water. When there is 2 minutes left preheat the oven to 250. Remove reflector from water after 15 minutes. Place reflectors on cooking pan and bake for 5 minutes at 250 degrees. Using a utility knife slowly split the reflector from the base on the opposite side with the hump.

Reflector with led light

Drill a hole in reflector for wire then put reflector back on bumper and drill the same hole in bumper

Mount leds on reflectors base, glue reflector to base, silicone wire hole then mount reflectors to bumper

Left reflector has been glue and wire silicone

Now time to run wire into car: Remove 2 push pins from center rear in truck area to access were wire will inner car.

Run extension wire thru grommet, connect leds under car using Y adapter and second extension.
Mount grommet back in hole and wire into brake light wire.

More pictures:

parking lights on

Brakes on:

Video by [Spidious]

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just a brain fart. But it could also be done for back up lights. Would just need clear covers and wired up to backup light circuit !

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just a brain fart. But it could also be done for back up lights. Would just need clear covers and wired up to backup light circuit !
I tested with turn signals and parking lights. I think new highway regulation requires rear red reflectors you could have issue if you make them white or you could run reflector tape some were on the rear to solve problem.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Got mine on order !

Your right. they would be rear reflector lens, but also red brake lights when lit up !

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
damn, that's awesome, and it looks easy to do!
It's on the list

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Nice job. I'm thinking I'll do it but rather than connect them to the brake light I'll connect them to the running lights. Kind of a take on the Japan rear fog light.

Thank you for the nice write up.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just to let you know the 48" wires were not long enough for me. If they have longer ones get them. If not just cut the ends off and add extra wire.
While at it. The fuse for the brake lights is under the dash in the small fuse panel on the left side (Don't ask me why I know, you can figure it out :( )
Below is a video of mine in operation.

Thanks for the help on doing this. There is no way they won't be-able to see those brake lights !

Just notice how mush faster the leds come on !

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Nice job. I'm stealing your idea and ordering the led's. I'm going to make them rear fogs though. They will be connected to the running lights.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Nice job. I'm stealing your idea and ordering the led's. I'm going to make them rear fogs though. They will be connected to the running lights.
Hello, i recall you mentioning this before.i kinda dont understand,SUPRISE,so by fogs, do you mean they will just be on when the fogs are on but they will still illuminate red?and im guessing purely for aesthetics? And if that is the case could that not be a little dangerous when some dumbass thinks you are breaking and maybe slams on his or her brakes, just throwin it out ther.I AM JUST 1 MAN, with great challenges, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Hello, i recall you mentioning this before.i kinda dont understand,SUPRISE,so by fogs, do you mean they will just be on when the fogs are on but they will still illuminate red?and im guessing purely for aesthetics? And if that is the case could that not be a little dangerous when some dumbass thinks you are breaking and maybe slams on his or her brakes, just throwin it out ther.I AM JUST 1 MAN, with great challenges, thanks.
Yes, they will be on with the running lights.

Something along the lines of this but there will be two...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just to let you know the 48" wires were not long enough for me. If they have longer ones get them. If not just cut the ends off and add extra wire.
While at it. The fuse for the brake lights is under the dash in the small fuse panel on the left side (Don't ask me why I know, you can figure it out :( )
Below is a video of mine in operation.

Thanks for the help on doing this. There is no way they won't be-able to see those brake lights !

Just notice how mush faster the leds come on !

I didn't go all the way to the fusebox, tapped in at the brake light socket. I will run the wire to fuse box when i do the rear cargo area project then i will update the thread. Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just tapped in at the left brake light. But was about a foot too short on wire length.
Thanks for the idea, looks great !

1 - 20 of 55 Posts