Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken their iQ through an automatic car wash? There's a really nice one down the road, and I've taken my truck through it several times, and my old car that the iQ replaced went there as well with no issues, no scratches, nothing.

I'm just wondering if the iQs extra small size would be an issue with an automatic car wash? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one I go to isn't touchless, it uses the soft brushes. I don't like the touchless ones, they never get the car clean, they just take off a little dirt lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I go through one that has big cloths that go back & forth as well as rotating brushes on the sides as the car is moved through it. We've done both of our Lexus' and SLK over the last 20 years and haven't had any problems. Over time the clear coat gets a few small scratches but an occasional detailing buffs those out.

I did have one problem with iQ though. They always put a piece of 3" wide painters tape over the rear wiper to protect it but one time they were a bit casual about putting it on, it came loose and one of the wiping cloths almost pulled the wiper off. It did strip the plastic mounting collar so had to get a whole new wiper. Car wash people paid for it. I now tell them to be careful and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's the type of brushes my local one has. The cloth type.

Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for :)

I will keep that in mind when I go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've never had a problem with going to automatic car washes too, the one I go to also has those long soft rotating brushes, and long drape like brushes that go over the car. I do notice that during the drying process my windshield wipers do look like they are about to blow right off since there is a direct wind coming from the top that hits the windshield and lifts the wipers up a bit with a lot of force, but I've never actually had a problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The only problems I have had related to auto car washes with the Q is when the triggers for certain parts of the car wash get tripped late and the front part of the car doesn't get a rinse, treatment or cleaned because the car is so small. Sometimes, the passenger side brushes don't even touch the car. It completely depends on the type of carwash. In Indy, Mike's carwash seems to do the best. The one down the street from where I work didn't seem to do as well as I recall.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one here is really nice, it's not a run down wash, it's a multi million dollar, top notch legit wash. Several automatic bays and several do it yourself bays. I decided to just do it. I was hesitant at first but you don't know until you try. I was worried the iQ was too low or something and it would drag on the track.

It washed the iQ better than it does my truck and my previous car! I think it's because the iQ doesn't have a whole lot of 'nooks and crannies.'

I did have to dry the car a little better after I was done but I always do that. Overall, I'm happy with the result and my iQ has the awful winter salt off it :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I guess I'm kinda hypocritical....as I said, I will not take mine to an automatic car wash, I'm too anal about MY cars, I'm never satisfied with the quality of their work....but now my wifes car, it goes to the car wash and its fine with her, which makes it fine with me. I'm also retired so I always have the time to hand wash mine, and the best thing of all, its so small that I can wash it in my garage with the doors down if its bad weather out.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I guess I'm kinda hypocritical....as I said, I will not take mine to an automatic car wash, I'm too anal about MY cars, I'm never satisfied with the quality of their work....but now my wifes car, it goes to the car wash and its fine with her, which makes it fine with me. I'm also retired so I always have the time to hand wash mine, and the best thing of all, its so small that I can wash it in my garage with the doors down if its bad weather out.
Way to go mistergib, my wife washes her own car too. Although on the occasions I do wash it, she makes it worth the effort. =)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
During the warmer months, I love hand washing my cars, it's relaxing!

But there's no way I am gonna hand wash my car in 25° weather. Brrrrrrr! :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I go through one that has big cloths that go back & forth as well as rotating brushes on the sides as the car is moved through it. We've done both of our Lexus' and SLK over the last 20 years and haven't had any problems. Over time the clear coat gets a few small scratches but occasional detailing buffs those out.

I did have one problem with iQ though. They always put a piece of 3" wide painter's tape over the rear wiper to protect it but one time they were a bit casual about putting it on, it came loose and one of the wiping cloths almost pulled the wiper off. It did strip the plastic mounting collar so had to get a whole new wiper. Car wash people paid for it auto detailing arlington va. I now tell them to be careful and haven't had a problem since.
Hi, Has anyone on here been brave enough yet to take their new Juke into the automatic car wash? It's a little too cold to hand wash her and she's getting very dirty with all of this crap on the road. Plus up here in Boston we're about two months away from car-washing-weather.

Once it warms up I'll be washing/waxing, but I'm getting a little tired of seeing my Juke dirty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts