Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any compatible aftermarket units already available or are there any being released? I was hoping to change the stock unit as soon as I pick one up. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
i sure would think so,there are so many to chose from im sure there would be one with a nice fit,and or any good instalation person could very easily make one work if it was close as they did with my nissan cube.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Any recently manufactured double DIN head unit will work. Keep in mind that you may need an adapter unit to retain the steering wheel controls. I have the Navigation upgraded unit and I think it's awesome!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You should be able to. Theres companies out there right now offering direct fit units for almost any car. Its a bit pricey but its literally a direct fit. It even keeps all the OEM buttons, knobs, switches in the same place. Not sure if they made one for this but try searching online and see what you find.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Just as a suggestion, Eclipse head units are used by Toyota as upgrades along with Pioneer. Both of those brands will use the stock wire harnesses and make installation much simpler.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I wonder if it would be a better option to just go get the optional headunit that the dealership carries. If they do have a better one than the standard one.
i upgraded to the NAVI unit and am extremely pleased.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
hey scionguy,i wouldnt call it better the main difference is its touchscreen and a few more watts,i allso believe it has aux out i was seriously considering that deck ,but,my fingers are dirty so i dont need the touchscreen,i will be amping up some jl audio speakers and the 500$ extra wasnt worth it for me.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
hey scionguy,i wouldnt call it better the main difference is its touchscreen and a few more watts,i allso believe it has aux out i was seriously considering that deck ,but,my fingers are dirty so i dont need the touchscreen,i will be amping up some jl audio speakers and the 500$ extra wasnt worth it for me.
oops i mean iQ -guy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok so from what Ive been able to search up so far Metra pretty much makes an install kit for almost any car. Plus they also make sure that all your stock buttons and controls are still useable. So I can actually get almost any aftermarket head unit and use the Metra install kit and brackets and still have a somewhat OEM looking center console.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quick question, but relevant to the base headunit. My USB port by the shifter doesn't get power. I popped the panel over the head unit and discovered that end of the USB cable doesn't seem to be plugged it. I felt back there with my hand but wasn't able to find a hole/receptical for the wire to fit. Does the base unit support the USB cable?

I'll probably unscrew the unit this weekend to get a better look, but figured I could get a definitive answer here anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Quick question, but relevant to the base headunit. My USB port by the shifter doesn't get power. I popped the panel over the head unit and discovered that end of the USB cable doesn't seem to be plugged it. I felt back there with my hand but wasn't able to find a hole/receptical for the wire to fit. Does the base unit support the USB cable?

I'll probably unscrew the unit this weekend to get a better look, but figured I could get a definitive answer here anyway.
hey there,i as well have the base head unit and my usb port works like a champion,so yes it SHOULD work,before you do any more fishin around i woud suggest you take it back to the dealer for a remedy.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Cool. I'm under the impression that the USB port is just one long wire that plugs into the back of the head unit. So I'm probably going to just search for the area to plug it in this weekend.
I didn't see a usb port on the back of my NAVI unit. There may be one on the back of yours.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have buddies that work for car audio shops and they all use metra kits to install aftermarket radios on cars. fitment is almost perfect and price is pretty good. only complaint ive ever heard is that some of the metra kits are easy to break if youre not careful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.