Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like the idea of my antenna hitting my spoiler and I also wouldn't mind something slightly cooler looking.

I've seen lots of people going the shark fin route, which is cool but everyone's doing it. Has anyone tried any other styles of antenna? Maybe somethign with a joint that lets you angle it to keep off of the spoiler, or maybe a shorter antenna?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't like how it's sticking out. I've been wondering if it's possible to just not have one.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,you could unscrew it, but that would still leave the little base bump. If you manage to get that off you;d have a hole to contend with.

Another alternative might be bullet/thumb antennas. I'm looking at those right now. They're smaller and stubbier. Still sticks out but not as much.

Personally, I like the toy-like look of the IQ and think maybe a bigger antenna might look cool, on it, make it look like an oversized RC car. But it would need to come out at a higher angle to avoid the spoiler.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I spent good money to switch from a long antenna on my MINIs to a shorter version....so I am actually quite thrilled with the stock antenna on the iQ!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't like antennas. Period.
My sedan doesn't have one that sticks out like that. I don't really use the radio anyway

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you could go the shark fin route. A functional shark fin antenna is in the $100-$150 range, or you can just remove the antenna and stick a cheap plastic dummy fin on top of the hole for $30 ;-)

·
Registered
985 Posts
I know it's somewhat pathetic, but I use the radio exclusively. This means the antenna has to work and work well. Some of the shorty antennas seem to limit reception, so comparing notes on the performance of alternatives is helpful.

To me, if one is stuck with having an antenna base on your roof, there might as well be an antenna. It makes some sense anyway.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my pontiac I use the radio all the time, just because it;s always such a hassle to deal with remembering an mp3 player (I don't like keeping music on my phone, slows boot time), plugging it into the tape adapter, sorting through playlists, etc. I just want to get in and go. Even though the iq is much more media friendly I still prefer to just get in and go, only bothering with special music consideration for longer trips. As such, radio is still going to be my main music source, so I too am interested in performance details if anyone's tried other antennae.

Here's a question: I have no idea how HD/XM fancy type new radios actually work. Does the main antenna have any impact on the satellite stuff, or is it just for the FM receiver?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts