989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I'm giving it another shot at getting/fabricating a decent
center console/armrest. I just ordered another one from the
same place, but a different style than before....this one doesn't
have that very weak pivot point like the last one, it doesn't
pivot at all which is fine with me, no pivot/no break! AND.....I
finally figured out how to mount it really firm and secure without
having that velcro-wobble like we had before.

I precision cut a 2x10 board down to 8 1/2" wide, with the front
end cut at the same angle as the back end of the oem console. I
also routed out the bottom-front to clear the angled factory carpet
hump thats behind the oem console. I cut its length to be the exact
measurement to fit SNUGLY in-between the base of the oem console
and the base of the rear bench seat. Yes, I still used the industrial
strength velcro for the maximum hold, but this base board was rock
solid even before I applied the velcro. I finished by covering this
whole base with the adhesive-backed black felt.....it's looking really
good! This completes the base portion....Here's a pic of the base:

Now I will cut another board to size for the console mounting brackets
to attach to, cover it and the brackets with the adhesive-backed black
felt and then use wood screws to mount this board securely to the above
base board.

The "different than before" console that I'm using this time is:

BLACK UNIVERSAL ARMREST ARM REST CONSOLE VAN BUS CAR CARAVAN NEW | eBay

I will post pictures when its done....

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
VERY NICE,AND THE VINYL PADDED PART ON TOP SOMEWHAT RESEMBLES THE SMALL DETAIL IN BLACK ON THE DOORS,nice find mistergib,and yes no weak point,you dont need it to pivot upwrds anyway.good luck,was it more $.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
VERY NICE,AND THE VINYL PADDED PART ON TOP SOMEWHAT RESEMBLES THE SMALL DETAIL IN BLACK ON THE DOORS,nice find mistergib,and yes no weak point,you dont need it to pivot upwrds anyway.good luck,was it more $.
It was actually about $10 less.... The shiney black on the lid is what looks like the shiney black
on the door armrest assemblies. You just wouldn't believe how solid I have the base mounted, no
wiggle or give whatsoever, and I am now able to make the height of the armrest almost 2" taller
at about 17". Win/Win all the way around....

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
it looks like you may allso be able to get a small storage box underneath it,maybe to hold a few things you dont access much,i bought a little nice fabric basket thingy for that spot,perfect fit,it came only in beige,but a bit of black fabric paint made short work of that,i will take a pic someday soon,but i really would like a STURDY,armrest for the fact that i know i would use it to bear ALL my weight to reposition myself,probably without even realizing it.im heavy.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since this time, I'm familiar with the item and where it needs to be re-inforced, I will
be strengthening it in those places as I go, I'm gonna try to make it bullet-proof without
ruining its looks. This time at least, I finally have a solid base that I can actually screw
it in to...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I like the looks of this one better. Can't wait to see it installed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this what you ordered and took off the drink holder:

Black Universal Armrest Arm Rest Console Caravan Van Car Bus New | eBay

I am sorry to pull up an old thread but I am really having the darndest time finding some sort of center console. Any information will be helpful.
Yes, that is the same one that I bought.... you don't need to take off the rear drink holder. When the console is mounted in the car, that drink holder can still be used, it folds up and down...if you don't need it, leave it folded up against the back. My console is still in my car and working great, it's held up very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, that is the same one that I bought.... you don't need to take off the rear drink holder. When the console is mounted in the car, that drink holder can still be used, it folds up and down...if you don't need it, leave it folded up against the back. My console is still in my car and working great, it's held up very well.

Thank you for the super quick reply.

So I bought this as a lease. The very first time I have ever leased and I had to make a super quick decision. It was not until after I bought it when I realized that there was not only not a trunk but no center console, and NOT even a glove box.

I had a Honda Del Sol for 13 years. I bought it off of someone else's 3 year lease and it was in perfect garaged condition the entire time I owned it. I loved that car and it handled the corners so well but it died a sad death and I bought the Scion iQ super quick. I did a bit of research on the car but I didn't think about researching storage space. I mean I knew there was no trunk. What car does not have a glove box? Crazy!!

So when you mention mounting will this mess up the car a bit. Since this is a lease there are minimal modifications that can be done. But who would NOT want a center console? Also is the mounting hard? I am a chic and don't usually do stuff like that. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My console is mounted as solid as a rock....and.... I could remove it without leaving a trace of it ever being there. Have you seen my thread that shows what I did to mount the console....the mounting of the base board that you mount the console on, etc. My console is really completely mounted using professional strength Velcro, no drilling of the floor board at all....and again, it's solidly mounted, no wiggle. To be honest, the mounting may be more than you would want to take on, not because as you say, that you are a chic, but the preparation for mounting it the way I did is a little more involved than you would probably like without having any previous experience.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
My console is mounted as solid as a rock....and.... I could remove it without leaving a trace of it ever being there. Have you seen my thread that shows what I did to mount the console....the mounting of the base board that you mount the console on, etc. My console is really completely mounted using professional strength Velcro, no drilling of the floor board at all....and again, it's solidly mounted, no wiggle. To be honest, the mounting may be more than you would want to take on, not because as you say, that you are a chic, but the preparation for mounting it the way I did is a little more involved than you would probably like without having any previous experience.....
I don't see any pics in this thread. The only link I see is the one where you posted the ebay link. I would love to see pics though.

OK I am a chic that doesn't normally do things like this but it isn't to say that I can't try and I can always ask a friend or my dad for help. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the link to my photo bucket: mistergib's Library | Photobucket but there are only a couple of the finished, mounted console. In a nut shell. I cut a 2x8 board to the exact size of the floorboard behind the console and to match the angle of the rear of stock console. This will be the mounting base for the console you ordered. I covered this base with black adhesive felt. On the bottom and rear of this base is where I applied the loop side of the professional strength Velcro. I inserted this base behind the stock console and the bottom of the rear seat. I then mounted the new assembled console to this base using wood screws........ this is what I did in a nut shell with a lot of cosmetic stuff along the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is the link to my photo bucket: mistergib's Library | Photobucket but there are only a couple of the finished, mounted console. In a nut shell. I cut a 2x8 board to the exact size of the floorboard behind the console and to match the angle of the rear of stock console. This will be the mounting base for the console you ordered. I covered this base with black adhesive felt. On the bottom and rear of this base is where I applied the loop side of the professional strength Velcro. I inserted this base behind the stock console and the bottom of the rear seat. I then mounted the new assembled console to this base using wood screws........ this is what I did in a nut shell with a lot of cosmetic stuff along the way.
It looks really nice. Thanks for the pics. I'll order it and then show my dad what you wrote and hopefully we will be able to duplicate it.

Why on earth do they not just make a center console for the car or at least make it as an optional item? I don't care how much it would have cost. I would have definitely bought that.

Thanks again for your help. By the way in the pics I noticed you have a "Sport" version. What is the difference Sport and non Sport version?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The "SPORT" version is of my own making......I wanted to modify my Q and have all my mods look very "factory" so it would look like a model that Scion would have produced had they put out a SPORT model......and, time and again, people have thought that I bought a Sport version of the iQ....so, I succeeded. I've even had the Toyota/Scion factory rep, after he seen my car, say that he did not realize that Scion had produced a Sport model of the iQ. And a big "YES", Scion should have included a console as standard equipment. You do know that you have a little storage under the passenger seat that just pulls out? Good luck with the console.....

·
Registered
230 Posts
I fitted a console designed for the Yarus into our iQ and it too is mounted without any permanent attachment to the car. The riser mounts to the seat rails with steel clamps.

The only modifications that I have made to it are to mount it further forward, and to place extensions and longer screws to the box mount to place it 1" higher for a better armrest location. (I also trimmed the front edge of the lower shroud to remove the flair for the Yarus parking brake lever, and attached the shroud to the box with four small self tapping screws (necessary since it was a trapped piece in the original configuration).

I've posted the full installation process elsewhere on this site. It's a perfect match for the iQ interior, and it looks "OEM" as hell. You can buy one from your Toyota dealer, or obtain one from the internet for a higher price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The "SPORT" version is of my own making......I wanted to modify my Q and have all my mods look very "factory" so it would look like a model that Scion would have produced had they put out a SPORT model......and, time and again, people have thought that I bought a Sport version of the iQ....so, I succeeded. I've even had the Toyota/Scion factory rep, after he seen my car, say that he did not realize that Scion had produced a Sport model of the iQ. And a big "YES", Scion should have included a console as standard equipment. You do know that you have a little storage under the passenger seat that just pulls out? Good luck with the console.....
Yes I know about the little drawer that is supposed to replace the glove box. Yeah just doesn't cut it for me.

LOL, so you bought the word "Sport" and put it on your car. ALong with all the modifications, of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fitted a console designed for the Yarus into our iQ and it too is mounted without any permanent attachment to the car. The riser mounts to the seat rails with steel clamps.

The only modifications that I have made to it are to mount it further forward, and to place extensions and longer screws to the box mount to place it 1" higher for a better armrest location. (I also trimmed the front edge of the lower shroud to remove the flair for the Yarus parking brake lever, and attached the shroud to the box with four small self tapping screws (necessary since it was a trapped piece in the original configuration).

I've posted the full installation process elsewhere on this site. It's a perfect match for the iQ interior, and it looks "OEM" as hell. You can buy one from your Toyota dealer, or obtain one from the internet for a higher price.
You completely lost me a bit before "shroud" which which Merriam-Webster says is a cloth to wrap a dead body. :)

But thanks for the idea. I think I am going to go with the idea from the OP. But all this info is great and I bet there are a lot of people out there with iQ's looking for threads like this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts