Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm thinking about trading in my '08 Ford Focus coupe on an IQ or Yaris. I love the IQ for it's quirkiness, I'm sure that's big with everyone but the question I have is..

Am I crazy for wanting an IQ when I do primarily highway driving? I drive 70% highway, I currently drive 1,800 miles a month. The only problem I see is that this car may really get blown around at the 65MPH speeds, which intimidates me. I also don't have to find parking in obscure places. So I am essentially wanting this car opposite of what it's meant for.

I'm also looking at a 2012 3 door Yaris, its like 2 feet longer than an IQ so it's not a ridiculous difference.

Reason for getting rid of the Focus...I'm tired of it, I follow maintenance schedule closely and I still have idling problems, shuts off at high way speeds, leaking oil slightly(only75k miles!), but it's mainly because I have a 10" dobsonian telescope that I want to be able to fit in the back of a car. I work at a Toyota/Scion/Hyundai dealer so I've eyed up the hatch on an IQ, I'm pretty sure it will fit when I put the seats down. My Focus has a spacious trunk, but the opening is ridiculously small, and seeing as it's two door I can't even get the base of the telescope in the car!

So tell me the IQ is decent on the highway and it will be just as capable as my Focus, lol! I think the only thing I'll miss about the Focus is that it's stick and the car is simply magnificent in snow.

Also, do these cars do well with getting over factory MPG with grandma like driving? I baby my Focus, I get 33-35.8 combined MPG which is considerably more than manufacturer says.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The iQ does far better on the highway than people generally expect....that wide stance with wheels at the corners helps alot. I'll let the other highway commuters weigh in further on this.

As far as fuel economy yes, many people get better than the EPA estimates, especially with the kind of driving you are doing. You would have to work at it to stay in the 40s (or better) but it is possible.

As far as the Yaris vs the iQ....the Yaris obviously has more room, but get the iQ if you want to drive something unique, quirky, and out of the ordinary. The two cars are related so you would feel comfortable going form one to the other, but the iQ is smaller, has a tighter turning radius, and is lighter, and is something of a head-turner. Do take careful measurements on your telescope to make sure it will fit. The nice thing about loading stuff into the iQ is that it isn't possible to shove items way into the cabin, so it's fairly handy/within reach to load and unload.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Chifte,
Welcome to the IQ forum. Lots of knowledgeable IQers here.

I do little highway driving as I am in the mountains of WNC for the summer but I did drive to Atlanta where they run 80 MPH plus and my IQ did just fine. Had her up to 100 MPH indicated with no problems. That said, there might be autos that better fit your requirements.

You said "I work at a Toyota/Scion/Hyundai dealer so I've eyed up the hatch on an IQ, I'm pretty sure it will fit when I put the seats down."

If I worked at a Scion dealer I would take a demo IQ out on the highway and see how it does in that environment.

Then I would take my telescope to the job and try and fit it in the rear of the IQ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate the informative responses, and I'm glad to see it performs well on major high ways.

I'm also curious, is the IQ genuinely meant for city driving? I'm not vastly knowledgable on vehicle engineering but is there anything that would put more wear and tear on an IQ over 120k miles vs say a Yaris or Corolla? Just because of the way it's built?

Does the engine in the IQ have any lineage from Toyota? As in has it already proven itself in another model, only down tuned? Same question for the CVT transmission, it's something I'll be completely new to. I read horror stories but statistics don't add up, they seem comparable or better in reliability assuming maintained properly.

If anyones curious as to why I don't just ask the sales persons at work, all great people indeed but... there's still the sales pitch ;).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome! The iQ drives rather well on highways (IMHO) but she does struggle a bit going uphill at highway speeds.

Please do let us know how you get along with the 10" Dob should you decide to go for the iQ. I can fit my small Mak-Newt in the boot with the tripod but I haven't tried sticking my 8" Dob in there yet, at least not in any way that I'd be comfortable transporting it without risk of bending the tube...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yes, the iQ is a city car. It is probably best operating within it's parameters around town and occasionally on the highway rather than visa versa.

Nothing within the Scion iQ is completely brand new...remember it's been previously out in Japan for four years and in Europe for three. That, and I find Toyota technology to be a bit more stable then in some other makes. Not too fancy or out there, but very reliable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome! The iQ drives rather well on highways (IMHO) but she does struggle a bit going uphill at highway speeds.

Please do let us know how you get along with the 10" Dob should you decide to go for the iQ. I can fit my small Mak-Newt in the boot with the tripod but I haven't tried sticking my 8" Dob in there yet, at least not in any way that I'd be comfortable transporting it without risk of bending the tube...
I'm really hoping it will, my Dob is a Skywatcher and it's collapsible. I'm going to measure it out tonight, just see if it ball park fits, then if I decide I love the car I'll take it home over night and see if it really fits.

Yes, the iQ is a city car. It is probably best operating within it's parameters around town and occasionally on the highway rather than visa versa.

Nothing within the Scion iQ is completely brand new...remember it's been previously out in Japan for four years and in Europe for three. That, and I find Toyota technology to be a bit more stable then in some other makes. Not too fancy or out there, but very reliable.
Hmm that does worry me, I don't want to force this cars engine into something it's not designed for. I travel 55-65 MPH 350 miles a week on just high ways, definitely have to consider the Yaris, but at the same time the Yaris is marketed as a city car too lol!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i drive my IQ 5 days a week on the freeway, granted there is traffic but, i get up to 60-75 mph daily an drive 80 miles a day when going to work
one thing i do miss is horse power.... but other than that i love this car and i love the mpg and filling up my tank with no more than $25-$30 dollars

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had limited highway use so far, but it didn't feel any different to me than driving larger cars in the past. I was easily able to pass and it's pretty nimble at highway speed imo. It's a little louder when you wind it up, though. Keep in mind that you'd have to add your own Cruise Control if you need it. I've had it in every car I've owned just about and never used it. I'll be driving from Massachusetts to Delaware in September, so I'm curious how it does on that trip.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chifte!
When it comes to driving on the snow, I have had no problems at all but I would suggest reading the articles on some of the "Toyota IQ" forums as they are European and have had the IQ for about three years there (they say it does just fine).
As for highway, the only suggestion that I would have is to install the rear anti sway bar and the heavy front bushings that come in the kit. It does make a difference on the freeway. Here I have the I205 freeway that crosses the Columbia and the infamous East Winds whistling down the Columbia Gorge at times nearly the same speed. With that rear sway bar installed I can barely feel the cross winds ... like wise the the semi coming past me in the opposite lane in a 55 MPH two lane highway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I drove from Maine to NJ on all highway driving at speeds between 70-80 all the way. I was averaging around 38 MPG and I had the ac blasting all the way. Stability on the highway was not an issue and I didn't notice any blowing around of any kind. I drove 450 miles and still never saw another IQ on the road. I LOVE my IQ and love the looks I get from other drivers...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blah, it couldn't fit my Dobsonian telescope, I opted for a 3dr 5spd Yaris. Telescope is a very important factor, but thank you all for the very kind help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Blah, it couldn't fit my Dobsonian telescope, I opted for a 3dr 5spd Yaris. Telescope is a very important factor, but thank you all for the very kind help.
Yeah, I was concerned that would be the case. :( I had to leave my C9.25 behind after I got my iQ so that hurt. Enjoy your Yaris!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well, the only other option would be to downsize. I bought a folding bike to fit in my iQ...instead of a guitar I carry a baritone uke. Not everybody's thing, but it worked for me. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
If i was me, last time i checked I was.

I would go for the IQ and put a tow hitch on the IQ, and build a small trailer for the telescope.

Or maybe use the ones that they use to tow behind bicycles, as they are small and light

1 - 18 of 18 Posts