Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the BCI Group 51 battery in my non-cold climate iQ to the bigger 25 size, (specifically a 65D23R with SAE terminals). I needed a new tray 7443152010, and battery hold down bracket 7440474020. That was all.

Now I'm curious about the alternator. Doesn't seem easy to replace it. Also, seems like need a different belt.

Hmm....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recently replaced the BCI Group 51 battery in my non-cold climate iQ to the bigger 25 size, (specifically a 65D23R with SAE terminals). I needed a new tray 7443152010, and battery hold down bracket 7440474020. That was all.

Now I'm curious about the alternator. Doesn't seem easy to replace it. Also, seems like need a different belt.

Hmm....
Nice to know. But why would you need a bigger battery? I'm still on my original one that I've actually drained more than once. Still starts the IQ just fine! My Audi battery did not survive being drained several times, unfortunately. That was an expensive experience.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My battery died. (Along with the other one before it, but that was a darn Duracell charger from Costco’s fault).

I’m hoping the larger capacity means larger reserve and the less I have to baby it…

·
Registered
2012 Scion IQ, white, flood salvage car, running now, but transmission issues.
31 Posts
I bought the wrong alternator. I thought mine was an 100 amp, so that is what I bought. When I took the old one out, it said it is an 80 amp. I installed it and it's been fine. Hmmm, the belt was really tight going on, but it is fine. I compared the pulley and it was the same, but the body could be making it tighter. I just looked up the lengths. Normal(80amp) is 37.64 inch and cold weather(100amp) is 38 inch. I'll be ordering the longer belt. I don't want to struggle the next time. The cold weather spec has several ceramic heaters and a bunch of relays. Open your relay box and look. If there is a bunch of empty spots, it's normal. If it is fully populated with relays, it's cold weather. I'm thinking the cold weather spec would be wonderful where I live, but I don't want to pay for those parts.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for sharing that! I have a $48 credit at AutoZone and for some reason could not use it on a Slime Tire Repair Kit, so I looked into parts and stumbled across alternator. They have both but the pulleys looked different if my memory serves me. Hmm. Did you replace your tensioner? I read recently it’s a good idea to replace it at the same time but I don’t remember doing that in the past when I replaced belts…

·
Registered
2012 Scion IQ, white, flood salvage car, running now, but transmission issues.
31 Posts
The pulleys looked different, but same diameter. I haven't calibrated my eyes lately though. The tensioner only has 1700 miles on it and seemed good.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it helps you any I see the two different Toyota part numbers: 9091602681 (non-cold climate) and 9091602682 (cold climate). I have searched for Gatorback (aka Continental Elite) but I don't think they make it for this application...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts