Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am suspicious of the 5hp claim. There was a show online recently that compared stock air boxes with cone filters and what not and found them to actually lose power.

ai17828, do you think there would be mpg loss if the engine creates more power?
I had the TRD CAI on my wife's 2010 xb. There was a definite mpg loss of about 2. More power more fuel right? Although, I did love the engine sound from the TRD and loving the engine sound from the weapon R for the IQ. Very tempted.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Ooooooohhhhhhhh shiney. =) Looks good.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Lets talk about the more power/more fuel thing. I think yes/no depending on what you do to get more power.

In the case you are making it easier for the car to get air and getting it there more smoothly in general. So it would seem you hare putting a better part in place of an inferior one making the overall engine better.

If you were changing injectors, fuel pressure, running a different map on the ecu (to tell the car to use more fuel)... then I think you would be dumping more gas.

At the same time, when I think of putting a bigger exhaust on, I know it would change the back pressure and thus effect certain parts of the power band (accelerating most likely).

So... with all those thoughts, I'm not sure what to conclude.

·
Registered
536 Posts
"More power more fuel, right?" wrong ! and right too, if your drive exactly the same with more power you save fuel
it's easier to save fuel if your engine is optimized.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's what I was thinking... Perhaps the 2 mpg loss experienced in the past was because the intake actually wasn't better than the stock. This goes along with the experiments I seen online where they compared different products. Some might flow better, but placement often causes the car to intake hotter air, which in turn loses power.

Maybe a good paper filter, mandril bent tubes, and a cold air location would be ideal. I heard the air filters like K&N are actually bad for your car because over time that cleaning oil (on the filter) gets sucked in and can effect certain sensors which would cause the car to eventually run rich.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The TRD CAI is actually positioned towards the bottom right behind the corner of the front bumper on thr XB so it's actually not sucking in hot air but rather cold air. Now that I've removed the intake my mpgs have come back up to normal which is around 21-22

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told that the iQ's HP is up and down across the rpm scale. This is why it is very hard to make air filter kits for the small engines. But the sound is really nice. As for the mpg i never received what Scion stated it would be. I was getting 32 34 mpg and now Im getting a solid 35 mpg. Then if my foot is on the pedal Im only getting 30 mpg. With all this said it is still a fun car with 30 mpg of fun.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like the In-Jen intake better than my Weapon-R intake. The In-Jen has better brackets. My Weapon-R is just hanging by o-rings. Weapon-R claims to have dual concentric flow technology I dunno if the IJ model has, so performance-wise is a big ????

Anywho, to be honest, I got my Weapon-R for free as a donor car, so I can't complain.

I haven't had mine on the dyno, but I can say it brought the power curve roll-off up about 10 mph. 75's cruise speed now, used to be 65, negligible hit to the mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts