Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 2014 Scion iQ. I have a light saying 'AIRBAG OFF'. Does this mean there is something wrong. I am the only passenger - no children. Thank you - it's a pleasure to meet other SCION owners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I am not sure if the US model is the same as the European model where you have a switch to turn the passenger airbag on and off. If you do turn it off you get that message on the dashboard.

Here are the relevant pages from the European manual. I hope that helps.
Motor vehicle Font Parallel Screenshot Machine
Font Motor vehicle Parallel Rectangle Drawing

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have just purchased a 2014 Scion iQ. I have a light saying 'AIRBAG OFF'. Does this mean there is something wrong. I am the only passenger - no children. Thank you - it's a pleasure to meet other SCION owners.
Don’t think we have deactivation switch on US version. Both Airbag ON and Airbag OFF would light up on starting the engine, then both go off while driving. If the passenger seat detect any weight (something like 15lbs) - it would think it’s a child and illuminate Airbag OFF. If there is an adult in the passenger seat - it will change to ON. Sometimes, if I take a sharp turn and prop myself against passenger seat - it would also beep about fastening passenger seatbelt. I think a faulty airbag system would light up a light on the main dashboard. I’d suggest you seat in the passenger seat with the engine on and check if it changes to Airbag ON.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t think we have deactivation switch on US version. Both Airbag ON and Airbag OFF would light up on starting the engine, then both go off while driving. If the passenger seat detect any weight (something like 15lbs) - it would think it’s a child and illuminate Airbag OFF. If there is an adult in the passenger seat - it will change to ON. Sometimes, if I take a sharp turn and prop myself against passenger seat - it would also beep about fastening passenger seatbelt. I think a faulty airbag system would light up a light on the main dashboard. I’d suggest you seat in the passenger seat with the engine on and check if it changes to Airbag ON.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
Just to add to that the USA models have a sensor in the seat bottom. If I'm not mistaken if the seat is empty it should say "Airbag Off" also?.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts