Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Toyota IQ 2009 1.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket options for bushings?

i find that the stock bushings flex a little too much, and i can feel the geometry of the car being upset during very hard cornering. I plan on fitting new struts and H&R lowering springs in the future, and im a little concerned seeing as i am gonna be using my car a fair bit harder then what it was designed and intended for.

i also have that dreaded clunking noise a fair few others have. It only happens when the front unloads for me, so i suspect the problem lies in the top mount somewhere, with it being either worn out or the tolerances being off/widening. I did a bolt check and poked around with pry bars and found no play or loose items, so i think i am onto something. Ill update this thread if i find anything and remember it :)

· Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
960 Posts
Thanks for bumping this thread to bring it to my attention. I did buy one pair of bushings for the rear axle but have not confirmed proper fitment, Powerflex PFLEX-PFR12-710. A Russian company called Siberian Bushings also makes one for the same spot but also a couple others. I have no idea if there’s a trade ban in place regarding:

www.siberianbushing.com

There are other companies I haven’t done a thorough search for them I’m afraid. (Just barely now saw this thread).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
Toyota IQ 2009 1.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to see there is one confirmed option atleast. Thank you for posting a link to it (siberian bushing) but unfortunately there is a trade ban as you mentioned. I will put it on my wishlist and hopefully i might be able to get my hands on them at some point.

I might just have to make some on my own. If i find a pair of cheap control arms (i think thats what they are called?) i would have something to measure off of. In the meantime i will try to find a company that makes them and update back here if i find anything :)

· Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
960 Posts
BTW- As you may probably be aware polyurethane bushings make (any car) ride stiff. I was trying to resolve a caster off spec alignment issue in our Prius v, eventually replaced one pair (left and right) LCA (lower control arm) bushings (shown in post #12, SuperPro from Australia). The Prius rides stiff, almost uncomfortable:

I'm going to research on the JIKIU site and see if I can't find you some front control arm bushings...

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

· Registered
Toyota IQ 2009 1.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I appreciate it. Ill check them out :)

a stiff ride is what im looking for, as i plan on taking it to the track eventually.
I will look more into it when i have the time.

· Registered
22 Posts
We are talking about iqs right because mine rides like crap and can feel absolutely everything also feels like I’m dragging on the ground maybes because I’m 6’6 and 300 but definitely would love a better ride quality

· Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
960 Posts
What size wheels/tires are those? Looked aftermarket in the pic you posted, maybe plus size, 17”? I know a lot of people would get lowering springs and that may be another issue? (It’s hard to tell from the pic). Do you mind sharing how many miles it has, possible time to look at replacing shocks)?

If the ride is already harsh for you I’d stay far away from poly bushings. I was only successful in replacing one pair on my parents’ Prius, (I had purchased two pairs), and I already noticed an increased harshness.

· Registered
22 Posts
What size wheels/tires are those? Looked aftermarket in the pic you posted, maybe plus size, 17”? I know a lot of people would get lowering springs and that may be another issue? (It’s hard to tell from the pic). Do you mind sharing how many miles it has, possible time to look at replacing shocks)?

If the ride is already harsh for you I’d stay far away from poly bushings. I was only successful in replacing one pair on my parents’ Prius, (I had purchased two pairs), and I already noticed an increased harshness.
They are 16s but 93k on it I wouldn’t mind a more track like feel but just a softer ride would be great I know I can’t have both really but a nice compromise to still be fun hold the corners and soft on the butt.

· Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
960 Posts
I once rode in someone's Mercedes (I forget which model now) and it was lowered on Eibach springs. As I understand they were, (I have not been following them in a while), progressive rate springs. Man, that was one nice ride, soft yet super stable when he turned. I don't think I've felt anything so nice until I test drove a Volvo Polestar V60 with Ohlins. (This was before Polestar turned all electric).

I've never bought anything from Ceika, although I do know someone on the Giulia forums that bought their brake rotors. Anyways they have two coilover kit versions with optional helper springs. I bet they feel nice if someone is so inclined to dish out that much dough. This is the Type 1M version, (the cheaper of the two):

· Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
960 Posts
Coilovers are definitely pricey. There are springs but I don’t know of any progressive rate versions personally. Surprisingly as I Google there are still quite a few coilover options for the iQ, but they are very pricey considering you got your iQ at a steal: Megan Racing, BC Racing, Gecko (not as familiar with), and HIRO (eBay, new to me). At that pricing I’d save up a little more for the optional helper springs that Ceika offers.

I don’t have plans for suspension work besides the TRD rear sway bar I haven’t installed yet. I do have a deposit on some Volk Racing CE28Ns (16x7) that may come towards the end of the year so I’m told by the seller. I hope to eventually replace the 175/60R16s with 195/55R16s….

· Registered
22 Posts
Coilovers are definitely pricey. There are springs but I don’t know of any progressive rate versions personally. Surprisingly as I Google there are still quite a few coilover options for the iQ, but they are very pricey considering you got your iQ at a steal: Megan Racing, BC Racing, Gecko (not as familiar with), and HIRO (eBay, new to me). At that pricing I’d save up a little more for the optional helper springs that Ceika offers.

I don’t have plans for suspension work besides the TRD rear sway bar I haven’t installed yet. I do have a deposit on some Volk Racing CE28Ns (16x7) that may come towards the end of the year so I’m told by the seller. I hope to eventually replace the 175/60R16s with 195/55R16s….
I’m not looking to turn mine into a race car but it’s getting expensive quick lmao 🤣 for a cheap daily

1 - 19 of 19 Posts