Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add some red leds to operate off of the doors.
has anybody figure out how to tie into that system ?
The map light up top center is a joke. Too dim and it isn't 12v. So it can't be tied into.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
You can use the wiring from the dome light to power your led lights. That's how I connected my courtesy lights on my side mirrors.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you find a 12v power source of them ?
Remember how you hooked them up so they come on with the door opening ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I will be doing the interior lights tomorrow. Here are pictures i got from a source for the map light connection.

Inside A-Pillar

Image 1- turn this clip 90degrees so it looks like the next picture (while the A-pillar is still installed)

Image 2- then it will look like this and the A-pillar will come out easily

Image 3 / 4- this is the wiring for the dome light; i think it is the white wire

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pictures showing light using a 9 volt battery pretest after mounting leds. Hard to get a good picture

Driver side

Passenger side

Rear compartment area

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SO after the movies I will pull mine apart. Did you in fact hook up both wires at the a pillar to get a power and ground to operate the lights when the door is opened ?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moved my leds all around trying to find the highest illumination. I found that the black area at the top of the windshield did the best. Plus it looks really cool from the outside. I have some new triple leds on order. But had some old ones to see how well it would do. On of the red strips on the passenger side died (of course). But you get a idea of how bright it is. Taken in a totally dark garage with no extra light at all..
IMG_0519.jpg IMG_0520.jpg IMG_0521.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moved my leds all around trying to find the highest illumination. I found that the black area at the top of the windshield did the best. Plus it looks really cool from the outside. I have some new triple leds on order. But had some old ones to see how well it would do. On of the red strips on the passenger side died (of course). But you get a idea of how bright it is. Taken in a totally dark garage with no extra light at all..

From front

From outside looking in

Inside looking up

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I connected to the side that doesn't have power to it when disconnected.
Have always found that that is a safer way to hook up things.

WireConnection.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
I connected to the side that doesn't have power to it when disconnected.
Have always found that that is a safer way to hook up things.

I didnt check before i wired mine but does the dome light selection have to be [door open] for your lights to work? or can doom light be in off position or center and lights still work when door opens?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the feed to the dome light. So they come on when the door is opened. Changing the switch on the dome light only changes the setting on the small center dome light.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. Just got my new leds.
Two red ones and a white one in the center of the windshield.
One red and white in the cargo area.
Put a small toggle switch on the ground side, so I can turn them on without opening the door.
Took a video of them in operation. When I get it loaded on my computer I will see if you can actually see it operating.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the video of it. It really lights up the inside of the car. And looks great from outside. The center is a 9" white with the outsides 12" reds.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Very nice fred. And it functions however you have the dome light set? I like!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a micro toggle switch down by the dimmer control to turn them on/off without having to open the door.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For the dumb where in the car is this connection....the pics are to close I cannot tell...A pillar tells me nothing.......

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The connector is located behind the plastic cover that goes between the top and bottom of the left cover. From the bottom by the windshield to the top of the windshield.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts