Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My IQ must have been the first that this mechnixic had EVER SEEN, I call him a MechNIXic because he was No Mechanic,

when opening the Hood he swung the prop rod to the left and hit the fender or the light with the hood prop rod DOH!!

I have been noticing that the engine was getting noisy, much more noisier than when i first got it. I had them change the Oil at 4600 Miles they used Toyota synthetic Oil, which is Mobil 1 (I asked),

Amazing!! the difference, So Much More, So Much more Quiet, and it is very smooth, in comparison, and seat of pants, Butt Dyno, tells me that car seems to move a little better. So 5k miles is my limit for oil changes, i am not going the 10K Toyota recommends.

The oil seemed like it had broken down.

Before the Oil Change, all the noise and Lack of smoothness, and after the Oil change, all that is gone, and now more power after word.

I have No more of that loud lifter clatter that i had before. When i bought the car.

I bought the Oil for life, it was pretty cheap and two oil changes per year, is what it came with and that is all i need, but i also have the Scion oil changes for the short term that scion give them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I grew up in the muscle car days, my dad was a mechanic, and I'm not too bad myself.....that said.....

That engine clatter noise was coming from mine when sitting on the dealers lot even before I bought
it, the other new iQ that was sitting beside the one I bought, made the same noise....until they warm
up....once our motors warm up, this noise goes completely away until you start it up cold again. My
educated guess was that it had to do with the variable valve timing (vvt) of our motors, as ALL iQ's do
it. (Mine still has less than 1,000 miles on it.)

NOW, you are saying that just changing the oil/filter makes this clatter go away??? That's sure hard for
me to swallow, but I damn sure will be changing my oil and filter asap if thats what stops it! I can't
understand how the oil would stop it, unless the oil that comes in our cars from the factory is as thin as
water....but hey, I'll try it and see.

I've been using high-dollar synthetic in all my cars for years.....I'm partial to AMSOIL and also MOBIL1 and
REDLINE, I will probably be using MOBIL1 in this car, so......I'll be changing it and see what happens with
that cold engine clatter?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mistergib how many miles do you have on your IQ.

I worked for Toyota as a Tech/Mechanic, for years, I also had a shop and worked on all Japanese Motorcycles after that.

The sound of the clattering, or the Lifters not be pumped up when cold went away on my car too, that was before, It was still nosier when cold, Now (before the oil change) the engine was nosier also when engine was warm.

It was not the 5k mile service, that made my IQ quiet down, Cause they dont do much, just rotate & air & check wear on tire's, refill fluids.

The only thing that was done was the oil change at 4600 miles. It is MUCH SMOOTHER now.

But i have to say, I did not start my engine from cold as they had brought it around so it had been running from the back and driven to the front of the dealership.

Unless the oil that was used in our cars coming from japan were either a lesser quality oil or maybe not shipped with a synthetic oil?

I know these little engines work hard, and i may be a throttle monkey when it comes to getting away from a stop some times. But That is weird.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Even if our cars came from Japan with regular dino oil and not synthetic, it shouldn't cause
the clattering noise during initial warm-up...the clattering during warm-up should not be a
oil related issue unless that oil is just pure crap! Toyota wouldn't allow inferior oil from the
factory to be used, they have a reputation to maintain. I still say it has to do with the vvt
characteristic of our motors..... I'll find out when I do mine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will do a Morning cold start and give my opinion.

Please anyone who posts provide their Total Miles driven.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just as a added note....in my opinion, the clattering noise during warm up is not the lifters
being pumped up, lifters will pump up immediately and quiet down.....this clattering noise
will not go away until the motor is started for at least 5 minutes..... I "think" that is the
timing of the valves adjusting in, thus vvti. But, I'm not that familiar how that process works,
so I could be dead wrong, I'm just guessing?

Oh, one last comment...our motors have overhead cams, therefore no lifters to pump
up. Lifters are/were used in conjunction with push rods to open and shut the intake and
exhaust valves.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You mean the engine makes a sound?........Hmmmmm I cannot hear anything past my stereo.,,.....hahahah

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I too am just guessing as i am not familiar with the newer cars, VVTI is chain driven and some use car computer, and or centrifugal to activate then switch from economy cam profile to a more upper end profile for retard or advancing the cam profile, below is a picture of the VVTI for the IQ

My recent cars are the wife has a 10' Rav4 Limited, my youngest daughter has a 10' Rav4 standard, My other two daughters both have 08' & 09' corollas, I have a had several Hondas 04' & 06' accords and a 99' civic SI, with variable valve Timing I have never heard this noise out of any of them.

This is a strange sound that is a IQ characteristic.

I am not sure, but i hope it goes away.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lucky you - my dealer doesn't offer oil changes for life ... bummer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK cold start this morning, it was much better, it was quiet, and smooth, much smoother than before.

I think it's better, or maybe I just want it to be.

Maybe I need to do like shrek and pull the candles out of my ears.

But i guess I would not have been able to hear how noisy it was in the first place.

This makes me think maybe it was dino oil that at 5k had broken down, but that does not explain cold start up. I guess I will know by the next 5k miles if it starts to get noisy again

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
You mean the engine makes a sound?........Hmmmmm I cannot hear anything past my stereo.,,.....hahahah
i hear NOTHING but my stereo either,CRANKED,max limit is 62,and it sees that often,supertramp as usuall sound the best CRANKED.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I start my engine sometimes I get a noise that sounds like a heat shield rattle The minute the engine starts the noise stops. Some times it is more pronounced than others.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ahh I knew I wasn't going crazy hearing those noises when I start the car. thanks for sharing this :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You Know Jerry's IQ,

I get that heat shield rattle also, like you said it does not last long and goes away.

That is just another sound of the IQ, it makes me want to have someone else start the car with the hood open while i listen to see if i can hear where it is coming from.

Hey Ra1n,

We will have to see if most of the engine noise stays away or is short lived, drove it today and it was still quiet and smooth

1 - 17 of 17 Posts