Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 IQ with automatic transmission that recently started bucking while driving. Not sure if it is bad gas or signs of a transmission problem. Has anyone experienced this? It was subtle at first... almost like the brakes were sticking and then i noticed it becoming more intense. It happens very rarely (one x a month or 6 weeks) but it seems to be getting worse and more frequent. I thought it was how the CVT transmission shifts at first since it would only buck once or twice but now it is sometimes constant and not a good feeling on the highway!!!! Help.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
736 Posts
Welcome to the forum. But sorry to read of your issue.

As far as I know a CVT does not have gears to "shift". Does the engine RPM surge when the car does this? I've read of reports of transmission whine on higher mileage iQs which was solved by replacing the CVT/transmission fluid. Any unusual noises or smells?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2015 IQ with automatic transmission that recently started bucking while driving. Not sure if it is bad gas or signs of a transmission problem. Has anyone experienced this? It was subtle at first... almost like the brakes were sticking and then i noticed it becoming more intense. It happens very rarely (one x a month or 6 weeks) but it seems to be getting worse and more frequent. I thought it was how the CVT transmission shifts at first since it would only buck once or twice but now it is sometimes constant and not a good feeling on the highway!!!! Help.
What's the milliage on your IQ? Does it make any weird sounds?

No buckling on mine, save for when I leave my driveway in the morning. Besides the transmission, there are few other components at play:

1. Electrical 'gas' pedal and it's computer. If there is a problem with the pedal, it might think you've released the pedal. Could be as simple as re-plugging the connector or replacing the pedal. But could also be an electrical problem anywhere under the hood, like a bad battery connection.

2. Aftermarket cruise control if you have it.
3. Stability control and ABS. These two systems can apply brakes on your behalf. Though it tends to be pretty violent as opposed to 'dragging' the brakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts