Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum but I am looking at a 2012 IQ and it starts and runs but has a white stream of smoke coming from the tailpipe. It has been sitting since last spring. I am seeing smoke from the engine bay also, like a hose is off the pcv is what it looks like but I cant find it. What should I look for? No rattle at start up, no milky oil, no missing coolant. 120k miles, seller bought it new. I want the car but need a clue of what it can be.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
756 Posts
Welecome to the forum!

A little more info would help us help you please. Maybe a location, or if you know which of the various engines that were used is in it? Is it diesel or gas? Maybe the 1.3L gas that was used here in the USA?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry, I was trying to buy this 1 owner Scion IQ in Middle Tn that I am an hour away from. He parked it last Feb and has only started it once a month if that since. Last week it would not start so new battery. Started smoking and felt unpowered around parking lot. I believe he said it was a 1.3 with cvt trans. Never had issues and it did not rattle on cold start up. No milky oil. 111k on the speedo. No major service ever completed by owner.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
756 Posts
TN is USA so that would be the 1.3 with CVT I agree. Someone will hopefully answer you soon as to what is going on. We have great knowledgeable members here. (I just agreed to help with the upkeep of the forum, not really an iQ expert, yet)...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had never seen a IQ but restore old Honda's so my mind is always trying to figure out why something is happening. I did see where the 2012 had issues with bad pistons up to mid 2013 AND seller could be bending the truth but the same smoke coming from tailpipe was the same color as smoke I saw in the underhood video he sent me. I was thinking PCV hose from the engine was off. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
756 Posts
So you're not local to the car it seems? How far away are we talking about?

EDIT- I actually drove 400 mi to buy my '14, but that was 4 years ago now and it had less than 15k mi....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
100 miles . . one owner. new tires, battery, 111k miles pretty Blue 1000.00 title in hand. Been driving the mini van for the last 18 months so it sat. I should of went to buy it regardless but I am going to tell him I pass. Thanks, I will keep looking for one, perfect for a shop vehicle. We had a Smarty before and had it wrapped, it was cool. Here is the car. Never saw one until today, I like them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
756 Posts
100 mi is not too far IMHO. But the smoke, I just googled white smoke from gas car:

"Many times, this thick smoke is due to the likes of a blown head gasket, damaged cylinder, or a cracked engine block, which is causing coolant to burn. Thick white exhaust smoke usually indicates a coolant leak, which could cause overheating and put your engine at a serious risk of damage."

You noted you're experienced in rebuilding Hondas and $1000 is cheap. (Not sure what the value is with a broken engine to be honest...). It costs $20/2 days of Toyota Technical repair instructions so I wouldn't expect you to have any terrible issues...

·
Registered
219 Posts
$1,000 for the IQ in the picture? You can part out the car for a lot more than that.

Does the white smoke get worse or better after driving it for a few miles? 111K miles is nothing for a Toyota with proper maintenance under normal driving condition. However, overheating can result in severe engine damages. If you can swap an engine, you can probably replace the head gasket/resurface the cylinder head fairy cheap in the worst case.

100 miles . . one owner. new tires, battery, 111k miles pretty Blue 1000.00 title in hand. Been driving the mini van for the last 18 months so it sat. I should of went to buy it regardless but I am going to tell him I pass. Thanks, I will keep looking for one, perfect for a shop vehicle. We had a Smarty before and had it wrapped, it was cool. Here is the car. Never saw one until today, I like them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts