Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning my IQ stalled at a red light. Seems like the rpms just dropped too low and the engine turned off. It started right back up but it concerned me enough to drop it off at the dealer. Anyone else experience this yet? I've got 7k miles and no engine mods.

·
Registered
156 Posts
On my way to work this morning my IQ stalled at a red light. Seems like the rpms just dropped too low and the engine turned off. It started right back up but it concerned me enough to drop it off at the dealer. Anyone else experience this yet? I've got 7k miles and no engine mods.
That is strange indeed! A "hickup" of the on board computer maybe??
I have not experienced anything like that at all but having about the mileage on mine you have on yours, I will be VERY interested to learn what you find.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, got my IQ back already. The dealer could not duplicate the problem (of course) after driving it for 12 miles. They did find codes p1605 and p1603 which referenced the stalling. They asked if I had ever run out of gas which would have triggered those codes. I told the codes were seen because of the stalling today. Anyway, hope it was just a hiccup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How much gas did you have left in the tank? Sometimes with two bars left but mostly with one bar flashing my car will stutter and act like stalling out on sharp turns or at the bottom of interstate off ramps... Usually with about 1.5 gallons left in the tank....

·
Registered
353 Posts
evinsan,
That is not good to hear. I have never run my tank that low but someday might have to.

·
Registered
156 Posts
evinsan,
That is not good to hear. I have never run my tank that low but someday might have to.
Ditto! It does make me curious how and where the fuel is being drawn from the tank.
Oh for a shop manual ....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I usually fill up when the last bar starts flashing...

Yea... My list of issues with this car is growing and with my first kid on the way in november (got the car before we knew) its not looking good for this fun little car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had wondered how the new fuel tank and pump design Toyota used would work in day to day conditions . Its the first of its kind but only a few people have posted of a possible problem and they may be unrelated .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I should note that the IQ uses a horizontal mounted fuel pump due to the flat fuel tank . It was designed that way so the car wouldn't run dry during cornering and steep angles . The level sensor is also mounted in the center of the tank for accurate reading .

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just filled up the car yesterday and will be out of town next week.. The next time it gets down to 2 bars Ill start trying to produce the same issue..

·
Registered
196 Posts
i have driven up to 15 miles or so with mine flashing .............no problems

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also have driven 35 miles with mine flashing and no problems.
I did have a motorcycle that did something like this once and come to find out there was no vent to the gas tank so when the tank was down to a certain level there would be enough of a vacuum on the system to over come the suction of the fuel pump and no fuel flowed ... just a thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
we had our first stall at a stop 3/4 tank of fuel a/c on came to stop idled for a minute then stalled started right up i will pull codes tomorrow and post results

5300 miles since feb

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hooked up the bluetooth connector to my Google tablet.... No Codes.

So for the record this iQ has stalled once, restarted easily, no other running problems ever.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 24 Posts