Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
If this is the vortex generator that is in the intake tube.
They have no effect except taking money out of your wallet.
Kind of like the $69 chip that is suppose to increase your fuel mileage and horsepower.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I'm talking about the type that go on your roof like the ones use on the Mitsubishi Evolution. It supposedly guides the air better down to the wing, but I'm going to fit it to see how it looks. I don't really expect that it will function in any noticeable way... I just think the fins might look neat on this little car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here are the pics... I don't know if I like it or not yet... I might also have to re-tape it. Let me know if you think it looks good/ok/bad. Thanks!

P.S. Sorry about the pollen all over the car... it's that stupid tree near my driveway.

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle
Plant Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
im not to much of a fan,BUT,who am i to say,your ride,and it is still a SCION IQ,and thats wicked.:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
ok i see the result, i understand the "middle" position but i prefer more back (may be a little transformation of whole antenna?)
in this place , the aerodinamyc effect don't be reel?!!
but it's look more agressive ! a good idea !!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like it but like the others said, it needs to be pushed back further. Maybe if u used individual fins, then u can place them wherever u like.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Were I and my degree in aerodynamics to guess I'd say boundary layer attachment isn't the iQ's aerodynamic problem. The body seems too short for that. If anything at speed the big trailing vortex drag is the issue. Vortex drag is probably handled about as well as can be with a TRD spoiler and the stock trip panels on the rear outboard columns. If boundary layer attachment were an issue the trip panels wouldn't be so far back.

Your vortex generators are not the dumbest aerodynamic attempt I've ever seen on an iQ. THAT award goes to the evasive spoiler: Evasive Scion iQ Picture #2

Aesthetically I think your lil' fins look pretty good. And they're small enough, and swept back as to not do too much drag damage.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah Sabqt... I just wanted to fit it to see how it looked. I haven't noticed any change in mpg, but I wasn't expecting one. Honestly, it's caused me more paranoia than anything because I'm afraid the doublesided tape is going to lift and the thing is going to fly off and hit a car on the highway... but I replaced the tape after the pics with some better 3M stuff and it seems to be holding up. I could have heated/molded it a little better to fit the curve of the roof better, but overall I kind of like it now. Most people keep wondering what the heck my car is... and that's fun I guess.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SABQT, how can you not like that little ricer? ;)

Fish
I kind of like the "rice" look. There are people on this forum that covered their IQ in tribal vinyl, others that are rolling advertisements and many wanting to put emblems on the car that belong to other specs and even brands... I guess we are all entitled to do what we want. Even the whole TRD thing seems a bit strange considering the car has under 100hp, but people enjoy that as well.

I don't see a problem as long as you like how your car looks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts