Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ran this size on the stock rim ? I don't know what the rim width is on the IQ factory wheels , if they are too narrow .I want to buy Nokian WRG2 tires for my CRZ and use the winter tires I bought for it but never used on the IQ when I get it .If the rim is not wide enough then this plan is out and I'll have to deal with limited tire choices .

·
Registered
985 Posts
I am tentatively planning to go to this size on my next set of tires, but they will be installed on my aftermarket wheels which are 1" wider (6.5") than stock.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So stock rims are 5.5 ? If this is true then they will fit the 195/55/16 as 5.5 is the minimum width. May not be good in snow as factory size but more choices , might even put the Nokians on the IQ and that takes care of winter tires as they can be used year round .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about with the lowering springs , any issues with wider tires rubbing . Also any input from those running wider tires if turning radius was affected.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Stock tire and wheel size for Scion IQ. 5" rim width
Tires / Wheels
Tires175/60R16 All-season steel belted radial
Wheels16 x 5 in. steel

·
Registered
540 Posts
P195/55R16 is about the widest tire you can safely use on a lowered car. Run the risk of hitting the struts or the inner part of the fender with wider tires.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i guess that changes everything , 5 inch is too narrow for that size . Not many choices of tire in the stock size of any type.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks , it's a possibility but I think there's still limited tire choices , I'll have to investigate it more . After thinking about it , I would prefer to run the Nokian tire so I would only need the one set for year round use but will have to check on sizes.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Our fitment guide shows the OE wheel for your IQ is 16x5. We also show the size 195/55R-16 as fitting your vehicle in stock trim.

As far as the tire 195/55R-16 we show it can be used on a wheel from 5 to 7 inches wide.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discount Tire,
Thanks for popping in with that information. I'll be trying that tire from you when I need some new rubber.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
The specs I'm looking at from the tire manufacturers are calling for 5.5 wide minimum for that size 7 inch max. Example from Dunlop

Thank you for pointing this out.

Each tire manufacturer sets their own recommended rim width range for optimum handling and wear. Falken for example recommends a 6" wide wheel minimum for their 195/55-16 ZE-912 which differs from what Dunlop recommends for their 195/55-16 SP Sport 7000. At Discount Tire, we have our own charts with recommended rim widths for general use that indicates a 5" to 7" wide wheel for this particular size. That said, if you are looking at a specific tire, it's best to stick with the recommendations set by the tire manufacturer and even better if you to choose to run an "ideal" rim width for your tires to help you get the most out of them. In this case, there are quite a few aftermarket wheel options that would be better for a 195/55R16 than the stock wheels. Here's a link: Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct

1 - 14 of 14 Posts