Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I didn't do a very good job chronicling the history of my tC, but I'm going to post everything i do to or learn about my iQ.

Just finished installing Sparco Assetto Gara (Graphite) rims with Toyo Proxes4 tires. Saw the rims on the SR Autogroup website. Here are all the specs to that setup:

17x7 with 37 offset (thanks to Surfcitylocal I know that 35-45 offset will work)
215/47/17 tires (8.4 in wide, 24.8 diameter, sidewall 3.8 inches)

With this setup the tires come all the way out to the fender. Maybe just a little beyond, but I did go with the lower offset and wider tire... A 40-42 offset with a 205/45/17 would probably be the best setup all around and for lowering the car, but the look I have now has kind of grown on me.

I have 70mm clearance from tire to fender in the front and 90mm of clearance in the back. I'm considering the TRD springs. They give me some drop but not too much (I learned my lesson by slamming the tC - my wife used the body kit bumper as a snow plow and curb feeler for years). The TRD springs give you 1.2in/30.48mm of drop all around. So, I'll still have some clearance. I do believe that with a TRD set up a big bump/dip (or curb at full lock) will give me a little rub. Maybe?? Not sure what the camber does as the tires move up and down. If it pitches in negative at all, then I should be ok.

Wheels weights for those of you that are interested in minutiae:

Sparco - 19.8lbs
Steelies - 17.0lbs
Toyos - 22.2lbs
Stock GY - 17.0lbs
Hubcap - .4lbs

So, roughly 8lbs per tire increase.

Five days straight of rain and the tires have great wet traction. No slide parking for me.

I did add a set of Muteki lugs, but I didn't weigh them because my wife already thinks I'm ridiculous.

I've order mud guards because for this set up, but it's also occurred to me that this would be perfect for someone who's installing a widebody kit.

I have a resource to suggest for those of you doing tire/wheel research.

www.1010tires.com has a great calculator for figuring out tire dimensions.

Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive side-view mirror Sky Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Nice looking wheels, the panda theme looks good on the iQ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a quick update on this topic. I put three other Soldiers in the car with me the other day on a trip to lunch. I was the shortest and lightest at 6 ft 170lbs. Tallest guy was 6'4". All total we added about 800 pounds of weight. I wish that I'd have gotten a pic of that, but i digress... I hit a dip and found out that we have 0 negative pitch with our wheels/arms. This setup rubbed a bit. Not a big deal, but it's enough to convince me that the 205/45/17 with a little higher offset was the way to go. These will eventually make their way over to the wife's Honda Fit.

Also related was the little test I did today on these tires out in the training area here on post. Roads were good and wet and I had to really put some effort into making them slip. I can assure you that normal people won't drive that aggressively (especially in this car). I was impressed and a little nervous about how hard I had to work to get some slippage.

Love these tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts