Rear disc brakes on american scion iq - Page 5

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rear disc brakes on american scion iq

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post

Apparently there's a science to lifting the tiny car with such weight bearing work to be done. You will be shifting a good amount of center of mass when you remove the axle, so have to choose the appropriate support points. I have yet to figure out where in the driveway to set up. I'm really spoiled with regards to driveway space but I've taken up a lot of it over the years. I have a spot in mind where it won't block much but I'm a little worried I might be cramped there.
    Good point. Since you know the weight of the new axle (it's probably stamped on the box) - can't you add about the same weight into the trunk? A few bags of sand or weights or one mother in law should do fine. People sell weights for cheap on craiglist all the time.

Putting a jack under the cross-member probably would not hurt either.
    Last edited by maksym; 07-12-2020 at 07:38 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!

I was thinking of leaving the front wheels on ramps but I think I didn't use them on oil changes because the front mudguard would scrape on the way up. I wouldn't be able to rotate tires but save me a little worry. (I don't have the weight of the axle readily available). There appear to be more forward points available than the pinch weld spots on the side, I may use those and take a pic. Not sure what Toyota was thinking with the rear pinch weld spots. Deceptively looks like the shorter of the two would be correct but seems it is opposite. Will snap a pic of that as well...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    Thanks!

I was thinking of leaving the front wheels on ramps but I think I didn't use them on oil changes because the front mudguard would scrape on the way up. I wouldn't be able to rotate tires but save me a little worry. (I don't have the weight of the axle readily available). There appear to be more forward points available than the pinch weld spots on the side, I may use those and take a pic. Not sure what Toyota was thinking with the rear pinch weld spots. Deceptively looks like the shorter of the two would be correct but seems it is opposite. Will snap a pic of that as well...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

You can lift the car with the jack and slip in the ramps under the wheels (there are RaceRamps with a smaller approach angle, but they are pretty expensive). The front lifting point is a bump on the cross member - user manual has a picture. There are two more points on the control arms - dig up installation manual for the TRD rear sway bar, it has a diagram with all 8 lifting points and a center of gravity.

Another option to maintain the balance is to put a jack under the oil pan.
    Last edited by maksym; 07-14-2020 at 09:57 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)