Scion IQ Forums banner

75-yr old female pimps her ride

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DualScionsinNC 
#1 ·
I GOT SO EXCITED THAT...
before I actually purchased my little pumpkin (Hot Lava) I purchased a set of manuals on eBay. Not until I got home with it did I find that little drawer under the passenger seat. (I read about it a few years ago but had forgotten.) It was a complete set, apparently never used!, in the nice zipper case. I'm surprised that the former owners did not take the time to read at least a few of the operational issues -- or perhaps they never found the case as I also almost missed it. I'm still working my way through, making notes, etc and entering the CARFAX maintenance notes onto the xx,000 mile checkups. At least it got routine oil changes. Anyway, the eBay seller was gracious enough to let me return the first manuals I'd ordered.
Gonna spill the beans on my plans now, since I haven't figured out the photo-posting thing.

MECHANICAL:
Even though the Toyota dealer "said" the fluids had been changed, I'm thinking "just topped off", especially since there was no wiper fluid in the filler neck. I took it to my local trustworthy Midas and asked them to flush and replace what they could but that if the technician was not sure of himself, or if it was a closed system, to just leave that, and go on to the next.
I asked if I could look at the undercarriage and found a large flat metal plate that is almost directly under the driver's seat that was missing a bolt and another smaller plate toward the front that was also missing a bolt but with nothing to bolt it to, the shop manager thought there might have been a horizontal rod or connector from left to right wheel assembly area. So, Toyo dealer earns a -1 out of 10 for thoroughness!

INTERIOR:
I have just ordered the OEM carpeted floor, and cargo mats. The dealer put in a pair of rubber iQ mats which I'll use in bad weather, but they look really cheap. eBay seller states his mats are from a new iQ that was test driven no more than 10 miles at which time the buyer upgraded, so OEMs were removed with essentially, no wear.
I don't want the hassle of seat covers and I can't pull and tug on them if they start sliding. I've used a local upholsterer who did a great job matching my son's driver side '84 pickup bench seat to the rest of the seat and back, so I'll have them do leatherette permanent upholstery. I'm thinking either a saddle tan, or a light gray with orange stitching -- thoughts?
Depending on the color seats I decide, I may get a dashcover set, woodgrain, of course. Also, since the seats will be out, I may just have another carpet installed. This one is dirty and worn where the driver rested his/her foot on the formed footrest. Plus you all know how cheap the OEM carpet looks.

EXTERIOR:
I don't want to upgrade to the preferred black elements (too Halloweenie with the Hot Lava), so working off the silver-color mirrors, I'll replace the hub caps with chrome "smoothie" wheels (baby moons). Since it sits out, my son suggested window tint, so I'll go with mirror (reflective) tint rather than black. I had wind-deflectors on another car and loved that I could keep my window down and inch or two in the rain. I also will have two aluminum sillplates installed. I sure wanted a spoiler, but my daughter tells me I will hate that the car wash doesn't reach to under the spoiler where dirt collects -- anyone?
I've been thinking since reading the thread on "names of iQs" and so far, it's just "The Pumpkin". However, my daughter refuses to allow the license plate I want, telling me I'm not a teenager: IBQUTE. I may have it painted on each door.

If a photo shows up, it was taken from the dealer's website and I figured out how to do it.

And now I've run out of money, but hey, I have to spend down anyway due to Medicare ... HA!

See less See more
#2 ·
UPDATE:
Mechanical - Midas. Not so "trustworthy". Perhaps due to new manager (Day 2) who didn't know a lot. DM (District Mgr) contacted me, we met, he returned the a/c charges (about 25% of total) saying it was prob unnecessary in a 2014.

Interior - Closer inspection indicated the car had been only "lightly" touched so dealer told me they'd take care of me with a complimentary detail (shoulda' been that clean "off the lot"). Now I can put down my new carpeted mats.
Question: Were the iQ letters on the mats sewn in different colors depending on the year? My letters are white and blue. Order slip said 2015, but not a biggie.
BTW, I can highly recommend the eBay seller, PARTSBROKERSLLC, as they are letting me return the "scuff plates" I thought were sill plates with no restocking fee. Seem to have a number of like new Scion OEM "take-offs" with 3 spoilers in Hot Lava for $85 if anyone is interested; seemed like nice people on the phone.I won't be using the upholstery business at quoted $1200 both seats! For a little more than 25% I have ordered the imitation leather with perforated centers from shearcomfort. I reluctantly await their arrival.

Exterior - Nothing done so far, but disappointed to learn the Smoothies are not made for 4x100 bolt in 16s. Still working on that. Aside from the Smoothies, I know I still need to consider different size tires (15s? or 17s?) Hopefully I can get 4x100s without going to 7s. Guess for now I'll just order the wind deflectors (loved them on my Olds.), check out the window tint and the spoiler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.