Looking to buy a 2012 with 84k on the clock, a few questions

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to buy a 2012 with 84k on the clock, a few questions

Looking to buy a 2012 with 84k on the clock, a few questions

Hello, as the title says I'm looking to buy a 2012 with 84k on it. It is coming from a friend of mine and is priced reasonably at $6k USD

Now, a ton of people on here still seem to be at the lower end of the mileage spectrum. Does anyone here have over 80k on theirs? Any issues pop up? Doesnt seem to be using oil, and it has been a road trip car for them, and will be the same for me as well. So lots of highway.

Also; tires are still good, and it's orange - not the peeling white.

I'm not new to Toyotas. I've just not owned any newer than 2001 (have owned 7 corollas of various generations from 1986 to 2001, a lexus GS300, mr2... currently have 2 corollas in the driveway right now lol.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Hi sw201444, as far as I know most don't seem to be having issues here where I am in Vancouver. Welcome to the forum!

assuming the car was accident free, the most important factor is maintenance... was the oil changed every 5k miles instead of 10k? CVT fluid change is at 100K miles, but probably should be done earlier.

some 2012's have engine knock issue and at 84k miles, it is probably ok if you don't hear it.

Is the AC working fine?

Quote Originally Posted by sw201444 View Post
    Hello, as the title says I'm looking to buy a 2012 with 84k on it. It is coming from a friend of mine and is priced reasonably at $6k USD

Now, a ton of people on here still seem to be at the lower end of the mileage spectrum. Does anyone here have over 80k on theirs? Any issues pop up? Doesnt seem to be using oil, and it has been a road trip car for them, and will be the same for me as well. So lots of highway.

Also; tires are still good, and it's orange - not the peeling white.

I'm not new to Toyotas. I've just not owned any newer than 2001 (have owned 7 corollas of various generations from 1986 to 2001, a lexus GS300, mr2... currently have 2 corollas in the driveway right now lol.)

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nis350 View Post
    assuming the car was accident free, the most important factor is maintenance... was the oil changed every 5k miles instead of 10k? CVT fluid change is at 100K miles, but probably should be done earlier.

some 2012's have engine knock issue and at 84k miles, it is probably ok if you don't hear it.

Is the AC working fine?
    AC is cold enough to make me uncomfortable haha

Engine is dead silent and he's been religious about the oil changes. He recently broke his arm and I was the one who changed it this time - so can verify.

planned to go to the stealership and have them change the CVT fluid after purchase.

Is there anywhere I can read up on the 2012 knock? I know my '99 Miata was in the date range for thrust bearing issues.

I think you'll be fine with the IQ....

here is more info regarding the engine knock.

https://www.iq-forums.com/forums/eng...lap-noise.html

I have Miata NA... lot of fun to drive and very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by sw201444 View Post
    AC is cold enough to make me uncomfortable haha

Engine is dead silent and he's been religious about the oil changes. He recently broke his arm and I was the one who changed it this time - so can verify.

planned to go to the stealership and have them change the CVT fluid after purchase.

Is there anywhere I can read up on the 2012 knock? I know my '99 Miata was in the date range for thrust bearing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by nis350 View Post
    I think you'll be fine with the IQ....

here is more info regarding the engine knock.

I have Miata NA... lot of fun to drive and very reliable.
    I did see on one of my facebookm groups that back in 2017 someone recieved a letter stating that they had a warranty extension on the 12-13 cars for that issue did a quick google and it turned up a toyoheadquarters link just search "scion iq warranty extension 9 years"
    can't post links..

And yeah it's a fun car. It'll actually be on the RegularCarReviews youtube channel sometime in september -- he just came to review it.

9. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)