iq key fob manual programming?

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: iq key fob manual programming?

iq key fob manual programming?

Hello everyone, thank you for your help. I just bought a blank key fob to have as a spare and had home depot cut it. It works fine, starts the car no problem, but I can't get the car into program mode to add the radio transmitter to open and close the locks. I used a method I found online of putting the key in the ignition a certain amount of times and closing/opening the doors, etc. Any tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

What is the method you use to get into programming mode?
    Can you post a link?
    Micky

Which model year is your Scion?

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

I have a 2012, I found a way to do it in my tech stream.

I just bought a 2013 Scion that only came with one key, so I immediately sourced two new remote key fobs for my USA 2013 Scion. I ordered aftermarket versions from Amazon (MOZB41TG) for $40/pair.

I then took them to an auto locksmith and he confirmed that the US version of the Scion does not have a chip/immobilizer. So I really didn't need a 'G' chip key fob, but for some reason all the parts lists say this is what is required.

I suspect you could source the key fobs for even less, as the chip tends to cost extra. I am not sure which part # is the same remote minus the chip.

I believe the lack of a chip is the reason that the US Scion IQ cannot be entered into programming mode manually to learn a new remote keyfob. The US iQ needs TechStream.

I tried all the manual methods online (opening/closing door, inserting key etc) and they don't work. They work on my RAV4, but my RAV4 has an active key chip and immobilizer - which probably tells the car when the key is being inserted and removed (?).

Long story short, you don't need a chip key fob if you bought your iQ in the US, and you will need to take it to a dealer or an auto locksmith for programming the remote control.

As a reference, I found an auto locksmith with a shopfront and he only charged me $25 total to cut two keys and program the remotes. If you are replacing a lost key, you might as well get an extra while you are at it - as the cost is nominal.

The shopfront locksmith charged about 1/10th of what the Toyota dealer bid, and 1/6th what the mobile locksmiths quoted me. The second key was essentially only the cost of the key itself (locksmith cut and programmed the first for $20, $5 for the second)

Did anyone have a success with cutting and programming at ACE Hardware? They seem to claim on the website they can do programming as well. That said, I've ordered a $17 ebay special Techstream cable, will post back here if it actually works. The cable and keys can be found even cheaper from the usual scumbags like alibaba and aliexpress (e.g., the key is less then $8).

Ok, in case anybody stumbles on this page from Google. I was able to get a few keys done in the following way:

1. Got a blank fob from aliexpress, $8.90 with free shipping www aliexpress com/item/4000329132066.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1fa94c4dV pVzdi

Basically, any MOZB41TG fob should work (verify the module in your existing key says MOZB41TG). We do not have to worry about the security chip. Security chip is a small piece that gets inserted into the wireless module and acts as an immobilizer. However, US models do not have them (Canada models do). You can ignore any information about 'G' module, a dot on the blank and so on.

2. Got a 'Mini VCI J2534 Diagnostic Cable Scion TIS Techstream V13.00.022' cable from Ebay for about $17, though aliexpress has them for $11 and cheaper. The cable comes with a copy of Techstream software that allows communicating with IQ's computer (might need Win98 or Win7 to run it). In the software, you can register up to 5 wireless fobs. The procedure is fairly painless - basically, click a button that brings up a registration dialog (I think it is under 'Main Body>Utilities>Register Wireless Transmitters'), then follow the prompts that tell you to click a few buttons on each new fob. The fob does not need to be inserted in the ignition. This describes it pretty well:

www youtube com watch?v=8SivdN83i4E

3. At this point, the fobs can lock/unlock the car, but you still need to cut them. You should be able to cut them at any hardware store with a manually operated cutter. I think I've read ACE charges $3. My HomeDepot has a car key cutting machine (separate from the house key machine) - it's purpose is to cut its own blanks, but you can ask the rep to cut your blank instead (the blanks sit on top of the machine and have to be inserted manually). HomeDepot charges $5.5 for the non-wireless Toyota key:

www homedepot com/p/Axxess-35R-Blank-Rubber-Head-Toyota-Key-87019-0/202273656

You may or may not convince them to cut extra blanks free of charge. Alternatively, you can skip the whole fob thing and just get a simple non-wireless key at HD for $5.

Which model year is your programming key?

Quote Originally Posted by smithmary01 View Post
    Which model year is your programming key?
    This was for 2012.

Your links can help an auto locksmith to program a fob manually.

With the use of manual you can program that key on your own but if you are in trouble like locked keys in car. For that problem you have to hire a locksmith or dealer to help you.

14. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)