Disabling TPMS light?

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disabling TPMS light?

Disabling TPMS light?

For those with aftermarket wheels or separate winter tire/wheels has anyone found a solution for the TPMS light?

Buying 4 new sensors and having it programmed every 6 months is not something I care to do.

My solution so far will be to just remove the bulb from the instrument cluster. That is if it just has a bulb. The other solution would be finding the wire from the TPMS module and disabling it from there.

I'm pretty sure I can manage the tire pressure without an idiot light telling me that it's low. Perhaps if the system monitored/showed each tire and it's respective pressure I would be willing to keep it working. But just a warning light? No thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanLongDan View Post
    For those with aftermarket wheels or separate winter tire/wheels has anyone found a solution for the TPMS light?

Buying 4 new sensors and having it programmed every 6 months is not something I care to do.

My solution so far will be to just remove the bulb from the instrument cluster. That is if it just has a bulb. The other solution would be finding the wire from the TPMS module and disabling it from there.

I'm pretty sure I can manage the tire pressure without an idiot light telling me that it's low. Perhaps if the system monitored/showed each tire and it's respective pressure I would be willing to keep it working. But just a warning light? No thanks.

Hi,

That's a tricky question. It's illegal to disable tpms here in the states. Did someone say electric tape. I always swap out the tpms if they will fit. Mine worked fine after they where swapped.

I use these tire pressure sensors...

on my cars also because tpms is not perfect.

Keep the faith.

-Kooler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disabling TPMS light?-tire-pressure-sensors.jpg  
    Last edited by Kooler R01; 03-19-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Just a picture write up.

I did this last year but forgot to post up.

Just take apart the cluster. Apply black tape to the correct bulb/square. Put back together. Enjoy the light being out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Nice easy solution. Thanks for sharing.
    I'm a Haole. I live on the Mainland but my heart is in Hawaii.

Surf City is where I live, you can call me TAZ.

It's illegal for a repair business to knowingly disable the tpms system but a consumer/private owner can do what he wants to the tpms system. Not saying it's a smart thing to do. Personally I like having it in the vehicle.

Just asked dealer yesterday how much to program tpms 100 bucks screw that what a ripoff

I own a Transit Connect van, well, until Monday. I'm trading it in on a 2015 iQ. For the Transit, I wanted a 2nd set of "winter" tires/wheels so I bought a TPMS programming tool and also a 2nd set of sensors. That way, I could just program the sensors for each set of wheels that I put on the vehicle. Upon further investigation, I found out that I could program the sensors with a magnet. Programmer was approx. $40, sensors were $25 each.

I plan to do the same with the iQ. The steelies will be my winter set. I already have another set of sensors which I'll put into the new wheels that I buy.

You went through all of that instead of just buying a hundred dollar tool? lol.

11. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)