Installed backup camera and LED Trunk Lights

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed backup camera and LED Trunk Lights

Installed backup camera and LED Trunk Lights

I went to buy a pair of strip lights intending to provide more lighting for my rear cargo space. I tapped the LED strip wires into the dome wire at the A pillar, then extended the wire all the way to the rear. At the same time, back up camera kit came in the mail. Therefore, we installed the camera in the rear end emblem location. In order to make the camera works with my Bespoke head unit. I had to buy the camera interface adapter wire from Beat Sonic ( very nice people) which come with a purple reserve wire (this needs to route back and tap into the rear reverse light wire). It was challenging to route all wires from head unit through the dash, left side of driver floor panel, left side panel, and up to the trunk door. We had to drill a small hole through the emblem for the camera wire. We mounted the camera bracket onto the emblem (see pictures). We wanted to position the camera pointing down to cover the rear bumper so the emblem spot was the best location for tight parallel parking purposes. We found that if the camera was above the rear glass wiper, then the wiper would block out the bumper view. And if it was too low such as license plate, you can't see the bumper either. The camera has distance line on the screen. Here are some pictures.
    Installed backup camera and LED Trunk Lights-20140123_213411.jpgInstalled backup camera and LED Trunk Lights-20140123_213400.jpgInstalled backup camera and LED Trunk Lights-20140123_213353.jpgInstalled backup camera and LED Trunk Lights-20140123_213317.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

nice tuning but i don't like the lexus logo

Very nice job on the install, hard to notice the camera if you don't know it's there. Good job on the LED installation as well. More light in the rear of the iQ is always a good thing.
    I'm a Haole. I live on the Mainland but my heart is in Hawaii.

Surf City is where I live, you can call me TAZ.

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

great idea...I am still working on what type of LED lights I want for the back and I have to check my HU to see if I am able to put a backup camera

Quote Originally Posted by jonny2slow4u View Post
    nice tuning but i don't like the lexus logo
    Luckily because of the lexus logo that i was able to mount the camera on. The scion logo was small and no space to mount. I had enough black surface to camouflage the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspinflai View Post
    great idea...I am still working on what type of LED lights I want for the back and I have to check my HU to see if I am able to put a backup camera
    what kind of HU you got?

These are the pics of my HU. If i put on reverse, HU automatic turns on the camera.

Installed backup camera and LED Trunk Lights-20140124_101844.jpgInstalled backup camera and LED Trunk Lights-20140124_101901.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by surfcitylocal View Post
    Very nice job on the install, hard to notice the camera if you don't know it's there. Good job on the LED installation as well. More light in the rear of the iQ is always a good thing.
    Thanks for your compliment. I have been wanting to get the camera installed for a few months but the intimidation of not knowing how to do hesitated me. Got a lot of help from my husband to get this thing done. Trunk definitely needed light. Since I have the Bespoke HU, I did not realize there is no video power input in the back. After research, found that Beat Sonic has the interface. So we drove from San diego to La Mirada to get it ( wanted to have it right away lol). The guy there named Tony. He was very helpful. He also helped to hook up all the wire into the HU. So when I got home, I just route all wire to the back then tapped the purple wire into reverse wire. I do not understand why Scion/Toyota made a HU that does not have RCA. And they do not even have any adapter for their own OEM unit.

Quote Originally Posted by tranbuutrinh View Post
    Thanks for your compliment. I have been wanting to get the camera installed for a few months but the intimidation of not knowing how to do hesitated me. Got a lot of help from my husband to get this thing done. Trunk definitely needed light. Since I have the Bespoke HU, I did not realize there is no video power input in the back. After research, found that Beat Sonic has the interface. So we drove from San diego to La Mirada to get it ( wanted to have it right away lol). The guy there named Tony. He was very helpful. He also helped to hook up all the wire into the HU. So when I got home, I just route all wire to the back then tapped the purple wire into reverse wire. I do not understand why Scion/Toyota made a HU that does not have RCA. And they do not even have any adapter for their own OEM unit.
    It does seem strange that they would produce a headunit with a large screen and no RCA video input.

I'm glad you were able to make it to Beat-Sonic. Tony, Eric and the rest of the guys are awesome. If you are ever there again be sure to try the Korean BBQ joint right next door. =)

what kind of HU you got?
    I have the ADCP-W12U T1818
    http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/a...psae992da7.jpg

I have to see the back to see what is available

Quote Originally Posted by Raspinflai View Post
    I have the ADCP-W12U T1818
    http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/a...psae992da7.jpg

I have to see the back to see what is available
    I think you might need the interface for that unit. here is the link if you need in the future Beat-Sonic BCUS3 Back-up Camera Interface for 2012-Present Scion + Toyota + Subaru Head Units

[QUOTE=tranbuutrinh;67522]I think you might need the interface for that unit. here is the link if you need in the future Beat-Sonic BCUS3 Back-up Camera Interface for 2012-Present Scion + Toyota + Subaru Head Units[/QUOTE

Here is how the back looks:

not sure if the interface will work ...maybe someone here can tell me if the grey in-connector top left is the one...Thanks

[QUOTE=Raspinflai;71857]
    I think you might need the interface for that unit. here is the link if you need in the future Beat-Sonic BCUS3 Back-up Camera Interface for 2012-Present Scion + Toyota + Subaru Head Units[/QUOTE

not sure if the interface will work ...maybe someone here can tell me if the grey in-connector top left is the one...Thanks
    I have the SNS200 Navigation unit in my iQ, it has an RCA input for the rear camera...

I can't remember for sure but the gray connector is either the GPS or Satellite radio connector.

[QUOTE=Raspinflai;71857]
    I think you might need the interface for that unit. here is the link if you need in the future Beat-Sonic BCUS3 Back-up Camera Interface for 2012-Present Scion + Toyota + Subaru Head Units[/QUOTE

It doesn't look like it has the rca input. you can always get the camera kit. and It needs the rca adapter, you can order one from BeatSonic.

Anyone has a link how to take out the HU from Scion IQ?

18. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)