Oil and Filter Change

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil and Filter Change

Oil and Filter Change

This DIY will explain how to change your own oil and filter in your Scion iQ.

As with any DIY you will assume all responsibility for any damage inflicted on you or your car. This is a simple guide to changing your oil and filter. Always follow safety practices including but not limited to, wearing eye protection, gloves and protective clothing. Always ensure your car is supported by jack stands or car ramps. Engage the parking brake before lifting your vehicle and leave in place during all activities while the car is off the ground. Dispose of used oil at a designated oil recycling facility.

The recommend oil change intervals suggested by Scion are every 10,000 miles. I prefer to change mine at least every 5,000 miles. The scheduled oil changes are covered by the dealer for the first three or longer depending on which maintenance agreement you purchased with your iQ. To satisfy my warranty requirements I have the scheduled maintenance done at the dealership but the 5,000 mile oil changes I prefer to do myself. The job can be a bit messy but I find it satisfying to do the work myself.

Scion recommends using full synthetic oil with a weight of 0w-20. I use Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy which I purchase at Walmart for a discounted price. I use the five quart jug and although the iQ doesn't require five quarts the savings over buying individual quarts makes it worthwhile for me. I pay $22 for the five gallon as compared to $25.00 for the individual quarts.

There are aftermarket companies selling oil filter cartridges for the iQ but I prefer to use the Toyota factory brand which I purchase at my dealership for around $8.00. They give me a discount, the normal price is close to $14.00.

The Mobil One synthetic oil...

The Toyota filter...

The contents of the oil filter cartridge replacement...

*Notice the instructions located on the side of the box.

The tools you will need: 1. 14mm wrench, 2. Oil filter canister removal socket, 3. 3/8 inch ratchet, 4. 3/8 drive extension 5. A small pick or screw driver...

The small plastic nipple is used to drain oil from the filter. I use a small piece of plastic hose attached to the nipple to make the oil draining process a little cleaner...

Lift your iQ or drive it up the car ramps as I have. Ensure that your parking brake is set and the transmission is in the Park mode...

Locate the oil filler cap on the passenger side of the motor and remove it...

Here you will see the oil pan drain plug and the oil filter canister...

Using a 3/8 inch ratchet and extension remove the oil canister drain plug...

Insert the oil canister drain nipple and let it drain into your pan...

Using a 14mm wrench, loosen and remove the oil drain plug...

Let the oil drain for a while until it is done dripping...

Using the oil canister removal socket and a 3/8 inch ratchet, remove the oil filter canister by turning counter clockwise, oil will still drip so do it over the pan...

I'm a Haole. I live on the Mainland but my heart is in Hawaii.

Surf City is where I live, you can call me TAZ.

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

With the oil filter canister removed it is time to change the filter cartridge...

*This part can be messy as there will still be some oil remaining in the filter canister. Be careful not to turn the canister over until you have it above the oil drain pan. Once the canister is empty you can inspect the lower O-ring. It may be attached to the oil drain nipple as mine was...

Replace the lower O-ring with the new small one provided with the oil filter cartridge...

Apply a small amount of new oil to the O-ring to prevent it from hardening and re-install the oil canister drain plug using the 3/8 inch drive ratchet...

Next remove the large O-ring from the oil filter canister and replace with the new large one included in the oil filter cartridge box...

Apply a small amount of new oil to this O-ring as well...

Here you can see the difference between the new filter and the one with 5,000 miles on it...

Place the new filter cartridge in the canister and re-install in the motor...

After the canister has been re-installed and all fittings are tight, replace the motor oil. The required amount with a filter change is 3.7 quarts. Use the lines on the side of the jug to determine the correct amount of oil to add...

After filling the motor with new oil start the car and check for any oil leaks at the drain plug and cartridge seal. Lower the car or remove from the car ramps.

Locate the oil dipstick near the middle of the motor and remove to check the oil level. The new oil will make it hard to see but you will be able to discern the level well enough...

If the level appears correct and you have no leaks pat yourself on the back and go have a icy cold beverage, you've just changed your own oil...
    I'm a Haole. I live on the Mainland but my heart is in Hawaii.

Surf City is where I live, you can call me TAZ.

As always very useful post! Thanks Taz! Subscribing!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Its really helpful and interesting.

Thanks

Where did you buy the "oil canister removal socket"? Would you happen to have the brand, size or part number.

I attempted to change my oil however was unable to get the filter off. I just changed the oil. I bought several
    oil canister removal socket's from autozone and none worked. I have no clue how many teeth were needed. The local toyota dealer didn't have them in stock.

Thank you

I am on the verge of doing the oil change on mine myself. I like Mobil 1 Annual Protection. Got a CarQuest Premium Filter 84260 and it comes with both gaskets and the little plastic drain tool for the oil filter cap drain. Instructions note to remove the drain plug first and let it drain out there first. Then remove the drain from the filter cap. and use the little plastic tool with a hose attached to drain the oil from the filter area.

The official tool, I'm personally happy to note, is the same as for my '12 Prius v, as well as other Prii:

https://priuschat.com/threads/filter...4#post-2551788

Part #: 09228-06501 is what is stated in the manuals
    Part #: 09228-06500-02A is what I got as the superseded part.

Here's the place I purchased from and the pricing:

https://toyota.service-solutions.com...9228-06500-02A

Torque specs:

Drain plug: 30 Nm
    Filter cap: 40 Nm * (In next post I'll note the filter cap actually has 25 + 5 Nm stamped on it!)
    Filter cap drain plug: 13 Nm

This is the first time I've seen need to drain the filter cap! Couldn't they do something simpler?.....

Should replace the drain plug gasket with a new one, but you're on your own on where to source that for now. If it is the same I got a few from O'Reilly's in the past for the '12 Prius v....
    Last edited by jzchen; 10-22-2017 at 09:34 AM.

So I did the oil change today. I burned my darn forearm on the exhaust pipe nearby. Be careful not to accidentally touch it. The drain tool for the canister filter needs to be screwed in for the oil to drain out. I did not realize there is a valve in there to keep oil from draining right after you remove the drain cap. Not sure if the OEM drain tube is screw on as well, but I got a segment of 5/8" hose to attach to my drain tool/tube. Since I did not make an effort to screw in the "drain tool" that I made, I unscrewed the canister to find oil gush out some. Luckily my pan is large and caught all the oil.

There is a discrepancy on the filter cap torque spec. The metal canister notes 25 Nm + 5 Nm, meaning you torque the filter to 25 Nm first, then set the torque wrench to 30 Nm and torque the filter again. I stopped at that because it is stamped on to the cap itself. The instructions I got from the Toyota techinfo site notes 40 Nm. I haven't started the engine yet to verify no leaks at the 30 Nm level I left it at....

I did use the same drain plug gasket I got for the '12 Prius v in the household. Fits just fine on the drain plug....

No leaks at 25 + 5 Nm.

TRD oil filter part number is: PTR43-52090. Strange, but it is the exact same part number listed for my parents' '12 Prius v on the TRD USA website. If that is the case I would like to use a Mobil 1 M1C-154A. Next year I will look into comparing the filter that is on there with the Mobil one....

what about the oem oil filter? it is about $7 to $8. I also found the oil filter tool (64mm) for about $10 on eBay only.

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    TRD oil filter part number is: PTR43-52090. Strange, but it is the exact same part number listed for my parents' '12 Prius v on the TRD USA website. If that is the case I would like to use a Mobil 1 M1C-154A. Next year I will look into comparing the filter that is on there with the Mobil one....

Oil and Filter Change

The oil I’m using is rated to go 20k miles, double the Scion oil change interval. I want to use the Mobil oil filter also rated for 20k miles to match. (I don’t go 20k miles in a year, but I think it is a good idea). I would wait until after any warranty expires before trying 20k mile oil change interval if one drives more than that in one year.
    Last edited by jzchen; 04-22-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Oil and Filter Change

I saw a nice 64mm tool at a Walmart. (Not all Walmarts have it because I didn’t see it in another one). It was less than $5. I already have the Toyota tool so I did not buy it.

EDIT: Here it is!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...ench/198525332
    Last edited by jzchen; 04-22-2018 at 11:59 AM.

If you like OE Toyota filters, which they supposedly include the drain plug washers:

https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconsh...-filter-deals/

Didn’t check cost of shipping I’m afraid....

Wondries has a good price on filters with coupon on their website.

18. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)