Oil and Filter Change - Page 6

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Oil and Filter Change

Well, roughly 700 miles. It would be many years to get 5k mi for your interval.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

I know it doesn't cost much, but you're wasting the oil and filter. You can easily go 2 years without any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    Well, roughly 700 miles. It would be many years to get 5k mi for your interval.

Thanks! I may just skip next year....

Two days after I changed the iQ's oil my wife's Honda Clarity PHEV indicated service was due. I must say everything went fine and dandy with iQ, but turned out to be a mess with the Clarity. You would think I'd be better because of the practice but NO.

Toyota cares about their service technicians. Honda, I'm not sure.

Toyota recommends opening the oil filler cap before draining the oil. Honda does not.

Here's what I noticed was the HUGE difference. The drain plug hole is oriented angled downwards on the iQ, whereas in the Clarity it is horizontal, (parallel to the floor).

I took the Toyota idea and opened the oil filler cap before draining the oil in the Clarity. So looking at the horizontal drain you know it's going to shoot out some distance before landing in your drain pan/container, but you know as it slows you're going to have to move your pan back towards the hole or it will spill short. I adjust towards the back of the car estimating the shot outwards. I raise my oil container by inverting a pan and placing it on top. Even though the car is sloped downwards from being on ramps, the hot oil overshoots my container spilling in the driveway. Moving my two layer contraption causes even more mess until I get the spout lined up with the hole!

Lesson, appreciate the engineering that went into your Toyota/Scion...

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

the trick is not to remove the drain bolt completely at first.... keep it near the drain hole til the flow pressure reduces....

be sure to wear protective gloves on your hands and use a drain pan at least 12 inches or wider in diameter.

Thanks! I may just skip next year....

Two days after I changed the iQ's oil my wife's Honda Clarity PHEV indicated service was due. I must say everything went fine and dandy with iQ, but turned out to be a mess with the Clarity. You would think I'd be better because of the practice but NO.

Toyota cares about their service technicians. Honda, I'm not sure.

Toyota recommends opening the oil filler cap before draining the oil. Honda does not.

Here's what I noticed was the HUGE difference. The drain plug hole is oriented angled downwards on the iQ, whereas in the Clarity it is horizontal, (parallel to the floor).

I took the Toyota idea and opened the oil filler cap before draining the oil in the Clarity. So looking at the horizontal drain you know it's going to shoot out some distance before landing in your drain pan/container, but you know as it slows you're going to have to move your pan back towards the hole or it will spill short. I adjust towards the back of the car estimating the shot outwards. I raise my oil container by inverting a pan and placing it on top. Even though the car is sloped downwards from being on ramps, the hot oil overshoots my container spilling in the driveway. Moving my two layer contraption causes even more mess until I get the spout lined up with the hole!

Lesson, appreciate the engineering that went into your Toyota/Scion...

Quote Originally Posted by nis350 View Post
    the trick is not to remove the drain bolt completely at first.... keep it near the drain hole til the flow pressure reduces....

be sure to wear protective gloves on your hands and use a drain pan at least 12 inches or wider in diameter.
    Usually I warm up the engine just before doing oil change. (Surprisingly I noticed the official Toyota instructions do not mention warming engine up, but Honda does). It's too hot to keep my (exam gloved) hand there. Do you know of a good heat insulated version to use?

(Thanks)!

You're in socal and I don't think you need to warm up the engine to normal temperature before draining the oil. It is not fun to work on a hot engine.

You actually drain more dirty oil out if you let the engine sit overnight because more oil will drain down to the oil pan. Some concern about the dry start... you can pre-fill the oil filter before install if you want.

Usually I warm up the engine just before doing oil change. (Surprisingly I noticed the official Toyota instructions do not mention warming engine up, but Honda does). It's too hot to keep my (exam gloved) hand there. Do you know of a good heat insulated version to use?

(Thanks)!

9. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)